Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hard to start initially - need to play with the gas pedal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sfrenck
74 Djet system on a 2.0L engine. When I start the car "cold", I have to play with the gas pedal for 10-20 seconds to keep it from stalling. Once I've got it going, everything seems to work as it should (idle is high until the AAR closes) and it drives fine. When in the idle circuit, adjusting the bypass screw and/or the ECU mixture knob do have affect on the engine and I have them set to idle "correctly".

If I turn it off and try to restart it, it starts right up. If it has sat for a bit after driving, it is difficult to start (again, have to play with the gas pedal).

Ideas? I thought initially it was my 3-port fuel pump (which is relocated to the front under the steering rack) but I prime the system by turning the key to the on position a couple times and it holds the fuel pressure at ~30 psi.

One more thing - I had this setup in my old blue car and it didn't have this problem (switched the mechanicals to the new roller).

Thanks in advance for any insight.
sfrenck
Also, the cold-start valve is not connected to the fuel line (that's where my fuel pressure gauge is located).

Timing too advanced maybe? I know it's set to 27 degrees BTDC.

The engine does fire right up, it just takes me opening the throttle body to keep it from stalling (which now sounds like too much fuel).
ChrisFoley
The MPS is probably adjusted a little too lean.
sfrenck
Hmmm... think my CHT is fubar. Just measured the resistance and it thinks it's about -20 degrees outside (~10kOhm) which would explain why it's shooting a lot of gas in at start-up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.