Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche shift rod differences
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
electroman
quick question. I'm in the middle of modifying a Porsche 914 side shift transmission to a 911 style shift linkage. looking at the factory parts diagrams I have a question about two parts. looking online I'm finding conflicting information. some say that you can just use the tail shift first reverse shift rod, others say I need to swap it with the 914 first reverse shift rod. in the parts diagrams they do have two different part numbers 914.303.141.00 and 901.303.141.02 respectively. my question is whats the difference between the two of them and which one do I honestly need. or will either work. thanks in advance.
GeorgeRud
Are you trying to convert to a 915 type shift housing? What year is your car? When I converted my 73 chassis to a 915 transmission, I had to do some fabrication to make the correct type shift rod, but it wasn't too hard. You do need to use shift rod with the cup type attachment at the shifter tower, then a coupler behind the firewall leading to a late style rear shift rod. I made my own from some 15mm (I think) solid rod and indexing it to the side shift console that attaches to the transmission.

Are you using a 915 transmission? Otherwise, using the original design with new bushings should work fine if you have a 73 or later chassis.
rgalla9146
What part of the 911 shift linkage are you trying to incorporate ?
electroman
I guess I should have been more clear, sorry about that. I have a 1973 side shift. I'm actually installing it in a 1967 volkswagen beetle along with a 1911cc type 4 engine with a corvair style cooling setup and indavidual throttle bodies megasquirt fuel injection ect.

anyway my origonal plan was to just install it as a side shifter and use a modern cable shifter to shift it. well I finally got the case fitted to that car yesterday, and long story short I only have about 1.5" between the side of the trans and the frame. not enough room for a side shift linkage. so I'm changing my plans and just doing it like everyone else does. which means I need to convert the transmission over to a 911 style shift setup, with the shift rod coming out of the end of the nosecone.

since I have a side shift I have to change out the 2nd-3rd shift rod, the 1st-R shift rod, and add in the maind shift or. also change out the nosecone ect. my main question though is the 914 tail shift uses a 1st-R shift rod with the P/N 914.303.141.00 the 70-71 911 uses a 1st-R shift rod with the P/N 901.303.141.02. obviously since there are two part numbers they are different. but what is the difference and could i use the 914 part with the 911 nosecone?
Dave_Darling
Change it all. The side-shift part won't work with the 911 selector and the other necessary bits.

--DD
electroman
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 8 2014, 05:55 PM) *

Change it all. The side-shift part won't work with the 911 selector and the other necessary bits.

--DD

ok thats what I figured. but still out of curiosity what exactly is the diffence between the two rods. I have never actually held them both in my hands and compared them. at first glance though they look the same. so what am i missing.
Cap'n Krusty
I think I have the appropriate nose cone and maybe some of the rods (you're gonna need 'em all, not just 1). I can probably get over to the barn tomorrow and look ........................

Edit: Well, I was a bit off. You need the 1/R rail (rod), the 2/3 rail, the selector shaft, and the nose cover from a late 901 ('69 mag case) or a 911 ('70/'71). The rails may look the same in the drawing, but they're not. Porsche is kinda "free" with the images, CSOBs .................. I have the cover and one of the rails, but I forgot to see which one it is.

The Cap'n
electroman
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 8 2014, 10:11 PM) *

I think I have the appropriate nose cone and maybe some of the rods (you're gonna need 'em all, not just 1). I can probably get over to the barn tomorrow and look ........................

Edit: Well, I was a bit off. You need the 1/R rail (rod), the 2/3 rail, the selector shaft, and the nose cover from a late 901 ('69 mag case) or a 911 ('70/'71). The rails may look the same in the drawing, but they're not. Porsche is kinda "free" with the images, CSOBs .................. I have the cover and one of the rails, but I forgot to see which one it is.

The Cap'n

thanks nyway Cap'n before I saw this I had already messaged the good Dr. evil. looks like he has everything I need. if it turns out he doesnt ill send you a message. thanks again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.