Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic trick for removing trans fill plug?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
speed metal army
Advice please! I know its a17mm hex etc, its just being stubborn as hell!
bulitt
Big heat!
injunmort
I agree , if it is that stuck
speed metal army
Heat the area surrounding the plug i assume?
injunmort
right on the plug
mepstein
Lots of leverage
cpavlenko
agree.gif
speed metal army
On the plug? This would expand the plug.. confused24.gif But heck, if it works i'm in! chowtime.gif
Mike Bellis
Allen key, 2x4 to hold the key down, 2 ratchet straps to keep the 2x4 from moving, long pipe to add leverage to the key.
speed metal army
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Aug 8 2014, 08:29 PM) *

Allen key, 2x4 to hold the key down, 2 ratchet straps to keep the 2x4 from moving, long pipe to add leverage to the key.

Im going to need a sketch for the 2x4 part of this.. biggrin.gif
02loftsmoor
Wheaties poke.gif
Elliot Cannon
Heat the plug and the area around it. Then while wearing a thick pair of gloves, stick an ice cube inside the plug. Use a small cheater bar (length of pipe) on the allen wrench and give it a try. Think about it first. Visualize the plug loosening. Keep a positive frame of mind. If that doesn't work, a long chain of expletives sometimes helps. smoke.gif laugh.gif
speed metal army
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 8 2014, 09:07 PM) *

Heat the plug and the area around it. Then while wearing a thick pair of gloves, stick an ice cube inside the plug. Use a small cheater bar (length of pipe) on the allen wrench and give it a try. Think about it first. Visualize the plug loosening. Keep a positive frame of mind. If that doesn't work, a long chain of expletives sometimes helps. smoke.gif laugh.gif

I like this one best..
Wish me luck! biggrin.gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Aug 8 2014, 08:42 PM) *

I think he is saying to strap the 2 x 4 to the trans to hold in the allen key. It is a shallow plug and the key can twist out under heavy pressure.
speed metal army
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Aug 8 2014, 09:15 PM) *

QUOTE(speed metal army @ Aug 8 2014, 08:42 PM) *

I think he is saying to strap the 2 x 4 to the trans to hold in the allen key. It is a shallow plug and the key can twist out under heavy pressure.

This makes sense! I actually thought he was fuch'n with me a little. happy11.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 8 2014, 11:07 PM) *

Lawn chair...you forgot about the lawn chair.

seareef228
pb blaster over night
then use square tubing or a floor jack handle for a breraker bar should work if you are simi strong
seareef228
heat makes me nervous under a car but if you do, what you are doing is this,
heat it up right on the plug untill its red hot now heres the trick
wait for it to cool for about 30seconds to 1 min the plug first expands
then when it cools it contracts this is when you hit it hard
euro911
Also, don't fiddle around with an inexpensive (cheep) Allen wrench. Spend a little extra $ for a 1/2" breaker bar and the special Allen wrench socket. Snap-On sells the socket.
seareef228
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 8 2014, 10:57 PM) *

Also, don't fiddle around with an inexpensive (cheep) Allen wrench. Spend a little extra $ for a 1/2" breaker bar and the special Allen wrench socket. Snap-On sells the socket.

agree.gif
Harpo
I have the snap on socket if you want to borrow it
Jon H.
QUOTE(Harpo @ Aug 9 2014, 02:42 AM) *

I have the snap on socket if you want to borrow it

I use the same socket with the impact gun and it works fine. Especially if the tranny is on the bench and you can't use leverage because the case is moving around.

Jon H.
ipadstott
Every time I walked by mine I sprayed it with liquid wrench and gave it a try, after 2 days it broke free quite easy and I didn't over torque or break anything. I used the proper socket from snap on and you should to!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
speed metal army
Thanks for the advice and offers to lend me the correct socket! aktion035.gif Typical awesome 914 world stuff...
So... The reason I wanted to pull the plug (so to speak ) was to check fluid levels. My trans has been weeping out of the input shaft seal, so I figured it would be good to check. So I get the plug cracked open, moving along nicely.. I get to the point of finger tightness, continue backing it out. I get the plug out and and a 1/2 cup of trans oil spills on my gaddamned shoe! laugh.gif It was wayyy too full. Its been this way since I bought the car in 2010 or so. Probably why it has been leaking.. rolleyes.gif
Whatever, At least I'm not low on fluid! blink.gif
stugray
what? Howd the PO do that - fill it through the vent?

Or fill it while it was laying on its side?
Dave_Darling
Fill it with the tail of the car up in the air...

(Don't ask how I know that...)

--DD
euro911
Exactly how do you know that, Dave? poke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.