Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: Pulling up roots
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PatW
My work will be sending me out to Mountian Home, North Carolina the end of Feb, for a week. Odds that I may be relocating there soon and life as I know it will be "very" different.

I'd be interstred in hearing anyones opinion about the area. Porsche scene, (I know its NASCAR Central!) racetracks, housing and such. Major cities look to be Asheville or Hendersonville.

Thanks, Pat.
xsboost90
ive been to Salsbury, very beautiful state! No help really i guess. I do know there are some 944 guys down that way though.
Rhodes71/914
I hear Asheville is a real nice town. I liked NC the couple of times I've been there.
anderssj
Pat,

Hendersonville seemed nice (wife's aunt lives there--been there once).

Asheville is very nice--pretty, nice climate; UNC Asheville is there too, so there's always something going on. Also, there's the Biltmore Mansion, lots of golf, etc. More important, there's the Blue Ridge Parkway, which is prime 914 territory.

There used to be some 914 folks around Charlotte, but I'm not sure if they're still around. If I remember correctly, the local chapter of the PCA used to get together with some other clubs and the open up Charlotte Motor Speedway for the weekend.

Hope this helps,

Steve A-
d914
VIR only a couple of hours from there, CMP is in SC about 3-4 hrs, Road atlanta 4hrs. Pretty country but not Kalifornia.....Did you own a house???? you do now!!!! $150-200 k and your sitting very pretty....Your 914 budget just went up...
Brett W
Pretty country but not Kalifornia

Thank God. Much better than California. No fruit cakes and snotty liberals. Good people, great country, plenty of Hiking, biking, Kayaking, etc. Tobacco Road PCA region is one of the most active ones in the country. Plenty of racing going on in that area. Lots of Porsche people as well as NASCAR teams. Which you can befriend and collect parts from them for cheap.
ws91420
There is a salvage yard in nc that you can get donor pieces from. I have heard PCA does some track time at Charlotte. VIR is a good place too. NASA, PCA, and SCCA there.
PatW
QUOTE (d914 @ Jan 23 2005, 04:34 PM)
Did you own a house???? you do now!!!! $150-200 k and your sitting very pretty....Your 914 budget just went up...

You got my attention. IPB Image
PatW
QUOTE (Brett W @ Jan 23 2005, 04:50 PM)
Pretty country but not Kalifornia

Thank God. Much better than California. No fruit cakes and snotty liberals. Plenty of racing going on in that area. Lots of Porsche people as well as NASCAR teams.

Sounds good to me. Looking foward to the visit. IPB Image
drew365
My brother-in-law moved to Asheville about six months ago. He was born and raised in So. CA but he says he likes it there. He couldn't afford a house here but bought a nice one there. He says everyone's real friendly even though he is a CA liberal. IPB Image
ws91420
The house that we bought in Lynchburg VA was 113,000 4br 2 bath with a garage that was coverted from a carport about a 1/2 acre of land.... no longer mine ex wifes.
mrobin
i lived in hendersonville for a little over a year...it is just wonderful.
everything everyone stated above is true....afordable housing, nice people, slower pace of life, wonderful sceenery etc.etc.etc.

driving your car will be a blast, with curvey mountain roads, and the parkway is beautiful.

i had the best time mountain biking, hicking, and fishing........nice
mack914
Beautiful state, vacationed there often. Emerald Isle. on the coast is wonderful.
IronHillRestorations
Stop by on your way! I'm only 15 miles south of I40, exit 126 in TN.
Elliot_Cannon
I spent a week in Raleigh about 20 years ago and liked it a lot. Raleigh is said to have more PHDs per capita than any other city. Real Estate is cheap compared to California. The beaches are nice and they even have surf when a big ship goes by. Just remember to trade your Cal plates for North Carolina plates as soon as possible.
cheers, Elliot
jdogg
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Jan 24 2005, 03:59 PM)
Raleigh is said to have more PHDs per capita than any other city.

PHDs? What's that?

All that has been said so far is true, the Asheville area is absolutely beautiful. I have been in Raleigh for 12 years, moved from Ct. When my wife and I get to missing New England, we just take a trip out to Asheville/Boone. The Raleigh area is kinda boring, but is easy access to a lot of stuff...mountains 3.5 hr. ride, beach 2.5 hr., VIR 1 hour.
Taxes are easy and real estate out that way hasn't gone through the roof yet. This area is starting to get a little crazy, but unlike the stories I've heard about housing in California, your money should get you something pretty nice over here.
I'd say look me up when you get here, but its about a 4 hour ride. Good luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.