Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opinions on this '74 2.0?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Next
I posted recently related to my interest in a very nice 2.0 or 6. Looking for all original and in excellent condition. Prefer original paint and this one has had one repaint but I like the fact that this one is a one owner until 2013. Looks like a very nice car. Are the 74 2.0's a good prospect? Looks to be very minimal rust although I don't see exposed rocker area and battery area pics are not great. Would be interested in opinions and questions to ask or issues to be concerned about with this car. Opening bid is $15k, Whats it likely worth?

Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-2-0L-N...=US_Cars_Trucks
Mblizzard
Nice car but for me, having the Webers takes it out of the exceptional range. But if could be had at $15 it would be a good buy.
914Next
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 9 2014, 05:56 AM) *

Nice car but for me, having the Webers takes it out of the exceptional range. But if could be had at $15 it would be a good buy.

Can you tell me more about the concern with the webers? Thanks
carr914
Car looks nice, with a few flaws.

I know people go ape shit over a Carb car vs FI, but Carbs are simple and a Carb'd 914 can run fantastic.

73 & 74 are the best years no doubt. Ones with little or no rust, nice Paint, good trim are to be sought after. Buy the Best car you can afford and it will cost you less in the long haul.

I think this car will see the 20's
JawjaPorsche
Nice looking and clean teener! beerchug.gif
billh1963
Beautiful car in my absolute favorite color!
dlkawashima
QUOTE(914Next @ Aug 9 2014, 03:25 AM) *

You stated in your first post, "Looking for all original and in excellent condition." Fuel injection would be a big part of that originality you seek ... so many cars have been converted to carbs over the years.

BTW, this car looks very similar to the one linked below, which went for $20K, except the one below had A/C and it still had its original fuel injection. If I recall correctly, the car below was also located in the Sacramento area.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=197656&hl=

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=200434&hl=
Spoke
Very nice car. Very clean underneath the engine. Didn't see (or didn't want to take time to see) pics of the longs so can't comment on condition.

Like others have said, it is interesting that such a clean car would have carbs. Was the cam changed for the carb?

About carbs vs. FI; I like the FI since it allows the car to start and run normally when the engine is cold. Carbs when the engine is cold need to be feathered unless a choke is used. Also it's nice to be able to start the engine from outside the car like when tuning up.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(914Next @ Aug 9 2014, 02:25 AM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 9 2014, 05:56 AM) *

Mechanically the carbs can run great. But for me on a car that is bringing top dollar and that is in as good condition as this one is suppose to be, I would like it to be as original as possible.

It also makes me wonder why someone would take such good care of the car and then remove the FI instead of continuing with their care maintenance plan and repairing it?
Big Len
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 9 2014, 06:34 AM) *

I know people go ape shit over a Carb car vs FI, but Carbs are simple and a Carb'd 914 can run fantastic.

73 & 74 are the best years no doubt. Ones with little or no rust, nice Paint, good trim are to be sought after. Buy the Best car you can afford and it will cost you less in the long haul.

agree.gif There ain't much to pick on here. But carbs and exhaust will hold it back a few thousand dollars. And a great Ebay ad with all the info with all the pictures. Agree that will hit the 20's.
Cairo94507
I would buy that car without reservation. That appears to be as clean as you will find anywhere. If it were me I would then put the stock FI back on, even though the Webers seem to be well done, as well as a stock appearing exhaust. That is a very nice car. Definitely going to sell for $20's.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Big Len @ Aug 9 2014, 04:18 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 9 2014, 06:34 AM) *

agree.gif There ain't much to pick on here. But carbs and exhaust will hold it back a few thousand dollars. And a great Ebay ad with all the info with all the pictures. Agree that will hit the 20's.

agree.gif This is the -4 people are looking for. The FI parts can be found to convert it back to stock; same with the exhaust. The presence of the sway bars is a plus and although it has an aftermarket stereo, the door panels are uncut. The car shows no signs of weathering; obviously garaged and with the low miles it was probably a weekend pleasure cruiser.

Maybe it's just the lighting, but the color on the battery tray support doesn't look right and I believe the battery tray itself should be body color. Leads me to believe that some work has been done in that area. The good news is that without the ECU in the way it should be easy to check the hell hole.

If it checks out, go after it. Cars like this are hard to find. BTW, the color is great! I have a '74 Marathon Blue 2.0 and every time I drive it I say, "I love this car".
rhodyguy
clean car. exceptional ad. dry.gif biggrin.gif . $15k sure isn't going to get the job done.
ben*james
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 9 2014, 05:30 AM) *

I would buy that car without reservation. That appears to be as clean as you will find anywhere. If it were me I would then put the stock FI back on, even though the Webers seem to be well done, as well as a stock appearing exhaust. That is a very nice car. Definitely going to sell for $20's.

agree.gif back to FI and a new exhaust (perhaps new valance as well).
JeffBowlsby
If it were completely factory stock and original this car would easily fetch a $25K or greater value. Great color on a 914. Condition is what determines the values of these old cars, and the condition of this car is exceptional. Engine size does not matter as much.

The things reducing the value of this car are what has been done to personalize it, most of which can be undone. I see exhaust, carbs, rear valence, oil cooler, and remote oil filter, polished Fuchs, wrong fuel pump and filter, and more hokiness. Mostly nit picky stuff...but important because they detract from the value and you may want to redo them. Then again, maybe you just want to enjoy it even with the modifications...they are not the end of the world.
914Next
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 9 2014, 10:32 AM) *

If it were completely factory stock and original this car would easily fetch a $25K or greater value. Great color on a 914. Condition is what determines the values of these old cars, and the condition of this car is exceptional. Engine size does not matter as much.

The things reducing the value of this car are what has been done to personalize it, most of which can be undone. I see exhaust, carbs, rear valence, oil cooler, and remote oil filter, polished Fuchs, wrong fuel pump and filter, and more hokiness. Mostly nit picky stuff...but important because they detract from the value and you may want to redo them. Then again, maybe you just want to enjoy it even with the modifications...they are not the end of the world.

Thanks for all of the helpful comments guys. Seems to be agreement on the fact that it is likely a good quality car. I'd like to have the hell hole, longs and batter box checked out a bit more. What would it cost to take this back to injected. Also, what is different about the rear valance?
rhodyguy
i would not buy it without seeing under the rocker covers esp at the price it will prob sell for. low milage means nothing concerning the possible rust issues other than it's been sitting a lot giving the rust a chance to fester.
KELTY360
You're probably looking at $600 -1000 to take it back to the original djet, maybe less. The rear valance needs replacement because it's been cut for the twin pipes. Stock would have only one outlet on the drivers side.

The seller welcomes pre inspections and I'm betting you could find someone in the Sacramento area to take a look. Start another thread requesting a PPI. Good luck, this one is worth pursuing with due diligence.

BTW, if you pay for a PPI, request that the inspector not divulge results to the seller. Otherwise you're paying for a PPI for buyers you might bid against.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.