Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Building a driver
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
venturadeb
I am 54 years old, and terminally ill with Pulmonary fibrosis (A very nasty disease). All my life I have wanted a 914, and the opportunity never got there. I am now looking at a small amount of cash, and thinking of building one.

Here is the problems, and some ideas:

1) I am 6'3" and not very mobile anymore
2) I am on oxygen 24/7 and need a place for my oxygen concentrator.

I have thought about the following modifications

1) lengthen the car about 12 inches
2) modify the top so it opens like a "gull wing" when in place
3) raise the top about 3 to 4 inches (as a top structure, not a change to the pillars)
4) create a hydraulic lift that would "ejector style" raise the seat 6-8 inches for entry, and lower into place for driving
5) obviously move the seat back to accommodate a taller driver

By doing these things, I would be able to move the seat back, to accommodate my longer legs, and still keep room for an oxygen concentrator, and a passenger in the car.

It would accommodate my reduced mobility, and still be able to get into and out of the car.

Questions:
In lengthening the car by up to 12 inches, how much weight would be added to support this change? how hard would this be to engineer?

I am not able to do the work myself, what kind of cost do you think would be involved in making these changes? (obviously, speculate with me beerchug.gif )

How hard would it be to modify the door to lengthen it by 12 inches (and glass?)

Would it keep the geometry of the car? One of the things I love about the 914 are the simple clean lines

WHAT TO DO then?
rebuild the drivetrain, complete bare metal paint job, premium leather on the seats, with offset color stitching, and matching leather on the dashboard with offset color stitching.

Am I completely nuts, or could this be done with a reasonable amount of money to make a daily driver?
Mike Bellis
You might be crazy but...

I think you are in the $30k-$40k range for all the mods and finish work.

How about buy a nice driver and have someone else drive you? 6' plus drivers and passengers fit fairly well in a stock 914 chassis. You could mount an O2 tank in the trunk and rig a regulator and tubing in the cab.

welcome.png
brant
Tall drivers actually fit in teeners
venturadeb
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 10 2014, 09:55 PM) *

Tall drivers actually fit in teeners

I know. as far as small cars go, the 914 is "huge" inside. I first got my taste for the 914 in 1978 when a friend of mine bought one. I looked at buying one when I was in college, and my mom talked me out of it.

with my illness, my mobility is severely reduced, so I am thinking about rebuilding a 914, and adding the things I need to accommodate my situation. biggrin.gif
brant
What is your budget?
Elliot Cannon
Will you settle for a ride in a 914?
venturadeb
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 10 2014, 10:08 PM) *

What is your budget?

I have about $23k. Don't know I would spend it on building a 914, just thinking it would be fun to have one if I could fix it to my needs.

It looks to me that I could find project cars on ebay, but how much rust repair would there be in almost any project car that I would consider cutting in two.

So before I got serious about trying to do something "crazy" like this, I thought I would talk to some enthusiasts, and get their feedback.
venturadeb
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 10 2014, 10:22 PM) *

Will you settle for a ride in a 914?

I have not been in a 914 since the early 80's !!!!!

Every time I see one on the road, I curse my mom for talking me out of buying one.
But, then I remember it was not her fault, I should not have listened to her. That, was MY fault.
bandjoey
Buy and finish the 914 Limo. It's floating around looking for a home. piratenanner.gif Somehow hope you can get into a 914.
jacksun
maybe to start ..

find one for sale in your area, sit in it, see how it fits.

try to find one that does not have the center console.

I am 6'2" and the center console interfered with my "fitting", in the

one I tested for fitting.... the 72 I had in the late 70's did not

have a console and my legs fit fine.

as to raising the car.............. only drive it with the top off, so

much easier to get in and out.

if you fit fine.........then you most likely will be able to find one

that is in great shape for far less than 23K.

keep moving forward and have fun

randal

Spoke
Good luck with your health.

Maybe the drive footbox could be lengthened all the way to the steering rack. Should pick up 4-8 inches. Relocate the master cylinder by using top-mounted pedals.

Should be less expensive than stretching the car.
venturadeb
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 11 2014, 10:01 AM) *

Good luck with your health.

Maybe the drive footbox could be lengthened all the way to the steering rack. Should pick up 4-8 inches. Relocate the master cylinder by using top-mounted pedals.

Should be less expensive than stretching the car.

Great idea! The room is good, needs just a few more inches for the legs. driving-girl.gif Will have to explore a few for sale cars and see what I could do!
SirAndy
I'm 6.2 and i fit just fine with some headroom (and legroom) to spare.

You could always lower the seat a bit, if needed instead of trying to go higher. Also, a smaller steering wheel does wonders for your legroom.
smile.gif
theleschyouknow
sorry for your health concerns I lost an aunt to pf two years ago.
I have buddy who is 6'9" b-ball player who drove one thru highschool I asked him how he fit and he said he mostly had plenty of room except that he had to shift into 2nd underneath his right leg!
will hold a good thought for you
cjl
ablesnead
I can help with this..was in the med equipment business a long time..First you can get a seat lift designed to help you up from a regular chair..they are small enough to adapt...I have oxygen concentrators as small as 2 pounds ..what is your liter flow ?...you will need an inverter for the seat lift...concentrator is 12 volt...I am 6' 3" legroom is not a problem...do figure on a quick release for the steering wheel..it is easy and relatively cheap to move the shifter a few inches .The stuff I am talking about is under 4 grand I imagine.
venturadeb
QUOTE(ablesnead @ Aug 11 2014, 02:02 PM) *

I can help with this..was in the med equipment business a long time..First you can get a seat lift designed to help you up from a regular chair..they are small enough to adapt...I have oxygen concentrators as small as 2 pounds ..what is your liter flow ?...you will need an inverter for the seat lift...concentrator is 12 volt...I am 6' 3" legroom is not a problem...do figure on a quick release for the steering wheel..it is easy and relatively cheap to move the shifter a few inches .The stuff I am talking about is under 4 grand I imagine.

WOW! The ideas have been great! I am on 2L when Sitting, and 6L when walking. Driving? LOL

Sounds like I could get a little leg room with changing the leg well, add a seat lift, and mount a concentrator (12V) in the trunk with tubing connectors in the cabin.

I still have mobility problems with my neck, so modifying the Targa top to open like a "gull wing" should be done to give me the ability to drive with the top on.

all relatively minor modifications, without cutting the car in half. Although I still think lengthening the body would be cool, I would never get my money back, and it is an expensive proposition.
venturadeb
QUOTE(theleschyouknow @ Aug 11 2014, 01:17 PM) *

sorry for your health concerns I lost an aunt to pf two years ago.
I have buddy who is 6'9" b-ball player who drove one thru highschool I asked him how he fit and he said he mostly had plenty of room except that he had to shift into 2nd underneath his right leg!
will hold a good thought for you
cjl

Thanks for your thoughts. GOOD NEWS! For the first time, Pulmonary Fibrosis has a treatment. There are 2 drugs that should be through FDA Approval This year that are the FIRST TREATMENTS EVER for IPF. If you want to find out more about Pulmonary Fibrosis, go to:

http://www.everybreathcountsfilm.com/

watch the trailer, it is about 9 minutes, and Very good! Just learned that one of the subjects in the film has passed. But I am still here, and have hope for a longer life with these new drugs - thus thinking about buying the 914 - I need a toy.
arkitect
As far as lifting a car, don't know if your a fan of big wheels but you could put a set of 18" wheels on it for a 3 to 4" lift. It will look like a 4x4 teener.

I have a parts car that has such wheels. The PO bought adapters to go from the stock 4 lug to the 5 lug configuration.

Dave
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(venturadeb @ Aug 12 2014, 01:56 AM) *

all relatively minor modifications, without cutting the car in half.

Cutting the car in half should be avoided--pretty much at all costs. The 914 Limo is an example of why: Even with the full facilities of a professional shop at hand, plus periodic free labor, the car still isn't even close to driveable. It takes a ton of work to do, and you need a really dedicated owner with very deep pockets indeed to actually complete the project.

--DD
flipb
I will echo previous comments about tall drivers. I'm 6'2" and my 914 still has the center console. I fit pretty comfortably even with the roof in place. Most of the time, I don't even have the seat as far back as it goes (to make sure I get full clutch action)

As far as ingress & egress, I wouldn't over-complicate things: leave the top off. More fun that way anyhow. Could also have someone else place the top after you're in the car.

Removable steering wheel + hydraulic/mechanical seat lift would probably be a good starting point.

Would be happy to give you a ride if I lived in the area!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 12 2014, 07:03 AM) *
The 914 Limo is an example of why: Even with the full facilities of a professional shop at hand, plus periodic free labor, the car still isn't even close to driveable. It takes a ton of work to do, and you need a really dedicated owner with very deep pockets indeed to actually complete the project.

Actually, no, it's not a good example.

None of the points you make actually apply to the 914World Limo. And just for the record, it's not that far from driving under it's own power.

The only real problem with the Limo is time, something both Mark and i have had little to spare in the last few years to actually finish this project.
shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.