Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MegaSquirt Help?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Mike
It's been a few years, finally got the MS wired up. 2056 with stock 2.0 intakes won't start, all I get is a few pops.

New Yellow top battery helped, the dead Red wouldn't even give me a pop.

EDIS-4 is working, great spark, and I can see the timing mark move when I change the settings in the laptop. (Had to rework the trigger wheel from McMark for the EDIS timing to work.)

New NAPA fuel pump and filter, new hoses, stock pressure relief valve.

Injectors are stock 1.8 with 1.8 resistor block, getting pulses to all of them.

WB EGA is connected to dash gauge, it was setup in air a while back.

Ideas?

I could use some eyes on the laptop, to give the settings a sanity check...
crash914
Can you post your MSL or a log file?

I am running fuel only, McMark should be able to give you some insight on spark.

If you have spark, then its either fuel or spark timing. Have you tried to squirt some fuel down the intake? that would at least help eliminate one item. Old fuel or no fuel pump relay could be an issue. Check your fuel prime pulse width and fuel pump pressure. It sounds like something basic. Code version or reqFuel #, etc...
Dtjaden
I would check things in this order (based on my own experiences):

1. Timing - this was easier for me because I started FI only and then added ignition control after I had it running.
2. Verify the correct firing order. Remember MS order, ABCD, does not map to 1234. The timing order you specify in the MS configuration does change,the MS firing order.
3. Pull one injector, place it into a glass jar and make sure you are actually getting fuel.
4. Verify the correct fuel pressure.

If these are all correct it "should" start.
914Mike
QUOTE(Dtjaden @ Aug 11 2014, 07:28 AM) *

I would check things in this order (based on my own experiences):

1. Timing - this was easier for me because I started FI only and then added ignition control after I had it running.
2. Verify the correct firing order. Remember MS order, ABCD, does not map to 1234. The timing order you specify in the MS configuration does change,the MS firing order.
3. Pull one injector, place it into a glass jar and make sure you are actually getting fuel.
4. Verify the correct fuel pressure.

If these are all correct it "should" start.

Thanks.

Timing is adjustable in MS, I can see my 7.5 mark and it moves if I change the setting.

Firing order is a question. The wires from the injectors are on FastOns so I can switch them around easily and have tried every combination. MS V2 has only two outputs, so I have to pair up two injectors per. Similar to the EDIS wasted spark setup with 1-3 and 2-4 except (I think) 1-4 and 2-3 should be ganged?

Injectors 1-2 sprayed fine yesterday, I try 3-4 today. I have a pressure gauge plumbed in, more or less permanently. It reads 30 PSI during cranking, I saw it jump to 40 PSI when it tried to start for a few seconds yesterday.

MSQ attached, thanks for taking a look.Click to view attachment
aircooledtechguy
Check the firing order on the coils to ensure you have the right spark plugs paired-up. Below is a photo of the EDIS coil I used on my Squareback. I used a label-maker to re-label the coils so I wouldn't be confused my the factory Ford labeling which is wrong for our motors.

Click to view attachment
crash914
I am using 2 squirt/alternating.

RegFuel is 14.4 and injector size is 3.77g/s.

this is on a 2.7liter 4 cy..

if you are using reqFuel of 18.6 and injector size of 17.7. you should be pig rich....

pull a plug and look for dampness..
I did also not see a setup for O2 sensor. be sure to select one that is the correct type with the correct voltage points.

I would disable all enrichments until you get some type of running...I had a problem where my cold enrichment was dumping fuel, the WB was reading lean and then everything was going crazy. I disabled the warmup enrichment (it is warm enough) and problem solved for now...

Are you using high or low impedance injectors? if high, 100% duty cycle and 25.4 pulse width.

good luck....
914Mike
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Aug 12 2014, 10:25 AM) *

Check the firing order on the coils to ensure you have the right spark plugs paired-up. Below is a photo of the EDIS coil I used on my Squareback. I used a label-maker to re-label the coils so I wouldn't be confused my the factory Ford labeling which is wrong for our motors.

Thanks, that checks with what I did. My label is on the side since it's hard to see down into a 914 on jackstands...
914Mike
QUOTE(crash914 @ Aug 12 2014, 11:04 AM) *

I am using 2 squirt/alternating.

RegFuel is 14.4 and injector size is 3.77g/s.

this is on a 2.7liter 4 cy..

if you are using reqFuel of 18.6 and injector size of 17.7. you should be pig rich....

pull a plug and look for dampness..
I did also not see a setup for O2 sensor. be sure to select one that is the correct type with the correct voltage points.

I would disable all enrichments until you get some type of running...I had a problem where my cold enrichment was dumping fuel, the WB was reading lean and then everything was going crazy. I disabled the warmup enrichment (it is warm enough) and problem solved for now...

Are you using high or low impedance injectors? if high, 100% duty cycle and 25.4 pulse width.

good luck....

Thanks.

Injectors are stock 1.8 light green ones with the stock resistor block, P/N 0 240 150 116, which I think are 2.2 ohm and 186cc @ 3 bar. Not sure where I saw that, but it's in my notebook...

I'll be looking at the laptop once it cools off out in the garage.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.