Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fluid Leak: which seal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stark 01
This is coming from the bottom of the transmission where it bolts to the engine block/clutch. I am new to the 914, do any of the experts out there have any guidance on which seal I will need to replace?

Click to view attachment
Cap'n Krusty
Kinda depends on what kind of oil it is. Tranny oil in that area could mean an input shaft seal, or maybe output flange seals. Engine oil could mean the flywheel seal and o-ring, the camshaft plug, or one of the oil galley plugs seeping. Or maybe that huge hole in the bottom of the engine ........................... sunglasses.gif

The Cap'n
JawjaPorsche
Smell the fluid. Tranny oil or motor oil? That will be a good start to isolate.
Stark 01
That made me laugh, Cap'n!

Confirmed it is gear oil, so now I must pick from what I will call List A.
I'll have to see if I can rule some of them out. The gasket kit should be here any day now.....
earossi
Either way, the tranny needs to come out. Once done, replacing in the front seal on it is easy and straight forward. If, instead, the oil is coming down the back side of the flywheel, you then have a few more items to remove. Be sure and lube the lip of the seal before installing it.
Stark 01
Yes, I'm a bit nervous about that.

Looking into the notch made for the clutch engagement fork, it looks like there is oily residue on the fork itself but what I can see of the clutch is dry.

I've got to get a better repair manual than the Haynes that I have....
rjames
QUOTE(Stark 01 @ Aug 12 2014, 06:05 PM) *

Yes, I'm a bit nervous about that.

Looking into the notch made for the clutch engagement fork, it looks like there is oily residue on the fork itself but what I can see of the clutch is dry.

I've got to get a better repair manual than the Haynes that I have....

There is no other manual. Best source of info is here, PelicanParts and the Haynes book you already have.
bandjoey
Probably 100 threads here on tranny and motor work. Pictures are worth a thousand words.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.