Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Striped Exhaust Stud
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mhenderson57
I am in need of an oversized exhaust stud. I have one on back order from Auto Atlanta. It's been a week and they can't give me an ETA. Does anyone know of another source for this part or another method of repair for a striped stud?

Thanks,
Matt
Dtjaden
I used Time-Serts to repair mine. I think they are more effective than helicoils, smaller bore for one thing. The downside is that they require an installation kit. My cost to repair 2 studs was about $70 but I still have enough inserts to do 5 more studs in the future. They are available on Amazon.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Dtjaden @ Aug 12 2014, 01:05 PM) *

I used Time-Serts to repair mine. I think they are more effective than helicoils, smaller bore for one thing. The downside is that they require an installation kit. My cost to repair 2 studs was about $70 but I still have enough inserts to do 5 more studs in the future. They are available on Amazon.

Actually, Time Serts and Helicoils use the same tap ......................

The Cap'n
Dave_Darling
I thought the Time-Sert was larger OD than the Helicoil??

--DD
Harpo
try the type 4 store
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 12 2014, 12:53 PM) *

I thought the Time-Sert was larger OD than the Helicoil??

--DD

I thought so too. But the Cap'n set me straight a while back. I think the Time-sert has a bigger shoulder on the top but they are the same thread size.
wndsnd
Belmetric is local for me and I have picked up orders there. They have a fantastic inventory and are great guys and gals. 914 friendly as well, they all filed into the parking lot to check out my car on a trip I made to pick up a Time-sert kit.

Good recomendation Stu!

John
mhenderson57
Thanks for the advice!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.