Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Introduction
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spsader
Hello World (forgive the long winded intro!)

It is long overdue that I introduce myself and my car. I purchased my '73 2.0L in 1987, and had the major rust repaired, had the stock FI replaced with Webers and had it painted red. I used it as a daily driver for several years without many major problems. Sadly the car was forgotten as I had to grow up and continue my university studies. I then got married, had four kids (actually my wife had the kids) and then started my professional career, always knowing that I would at some time get back to my 914. I am now finally at a time in my life that I can get back to my first car! The kids are growing up, I am settled in my career, am still married to the same woman, and am in a financial situation that allows me to breath some much needed life into my car that had been sitting for 20 years (I just think of the $$$ saved by not being divorced).

I joined the World over a year ago and began gathering info. My interest was peaked and I was looking forward to starting my project. I am planning a 6 conversion with flares and 916 front and rear bumpers. Having very little, actually no (well I did replace the fuel pump early on) mechanical experience I took the plunge and attended the (not at all evil) Dr. Evil tranny clinic at Mark Henry's last year. Sorry if I have blown your "Evil" persona Mike. I did manage to rebuild two transmissions, one re-geared for a six (A F O X flipped H) as to the good Dr.'s advice and the other stock just because I could. Yes I know I was the last to finish my boxes!

I am now gathering parts. I have picked up the flares and floor pans from Restoration Design, thanks to Pete. I ordered an engine mount from naro914, thanks to Bob for your ongoing advice. I finally found an engine after a long search, a 3.2 from an 1989. I am preparing to order some 914-6 GT rear brakes and A calipers from PMB, thanks to Eric for your advice. I am now on the hunt for the rest of the parts for the conversion as the car is slowly being stripped to the bone.

I will be posting pictures soon as I try to figure out how (will definitely be asking one of my much more computer literate kids for some help)

I will kindly ask a few things of the World:

-I am a newbie, correct me if I am wrong
-be patient with me as the progress will be slow at times.
-be patient as I will undoubtedly be asking stupid questions at some time, don't hesitate to set me in the right direction, I will not be offended (from what I read there should be no hesitation whatsoever on that front) I would much rather be set in the right direction than screw something up!
-I will be asking lots of questions, I will try to search out answers on previous threads beforehand, feel free to set me in the right direction.

There is a wealth of information here and I am grateful to all I have dealt with (so far that is) Thanks in advance and congrats on a great site!

Paul
and sorry again for the long post (this is my first thread)

wndsnd
welcome.png

Welcome aboard!!

John

Ps. thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
timothy_nd28
welcome.png
PanelBilly
Welcome and adding photos is easy. I learned how to do it, anyone can

Click to view attachment
HalfMoon
welcome.png
Escape while you can lol
speed metal army
smile.gif Im on your side! We Canadians have some cool '14's scattered here and there. I secretly (not so secretly) want to rob the 3.2 out of my Carrera and put it in one of my 914's! It crosses my mind whenever I either drive the 911 or open the deck.. happy11.gif Not kidding! welcome.png welcome.png
JawjaPorsche
Welcome to the Madness. beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
welcome.png

And keep asking questions. None of them are stupid, they can always help others who are a bit timid and afraid to ask. And SLITS still asks stupid questions, even though he has been here forever and is older than dirt. So you are in dubious good company.

biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(spsader @ Aug 12 2014, 07:43 PM) *

-I am a newbie, correct me if I am wrong

The doc is Evil. Also an ***hole. And he emits toxic gases.

And I'm glad to have him as a friend!

--DD
76-914
welcome.png
ipadstott
Welcome! Always great to see a fellow Canadian with the same addiction!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Sfreeman615
welcome.png
MrHyde
Welcome to the madness. :-)
johannes
Welcome to the World ... litteraly

Drums66
.....WELCOME...Don't drink,text &........ driving.gif
flag.gif bye1.gif
Dr Evil
Hey Paul, good to see you posting. You will be fine here. Some may bite, but all have their shots up to date smile.gif
spsader
hi all and thanks for the welcome messages
here are some pictures as promised...hope this works
these are scanned pictures so may be a bit grainy, the first pictures are of the car circa 1987 before and then after the rust repair. When I bought the car it was yellow, not a nice yellow more of an ugly mustard yellow! The original color was most probably blue. Hope you enjoy the pictures...more to follow if this has worked.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
spsader
seeing as I seem to have succeeded... biggrin.gif here are some pictures after the work was completed, still from 20 years ago!!
the last one is of me with a little more hair and a little less padding. laugh.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Hope you enjoy the pictures. Have been at work painting my transmission and will post some photos soon
Paul
spsader
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Aug 12 2014, 09:13 PM) *

welcome.png

Welcome aboard!!

John

Ps. thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

agree.gif
hi John as requested, photos have been added!

Paul
Larmo63
I sometimes feel like a teenager working on my first car with my 914. welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.