Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5-lug 911 suspension upgrade question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spsader
I have found a set of front struts, calipers and hubs from an '82 for my 3.2 conversion. Was looking for opinions as to whether it is worth replacing the A arms, torsion bars and cross member. Any major differences, advantages or disadvantages over the 914, apart from the sway bar attachment and set up-I must admit that I like the 914 setup.
Thanks
Paul
pcar916
I have plenty of 911 parts around but never saw any point in swapping the 914 A-arms and crossmember.

The only differences are the 911 crossmember will likely be aluminum, don't remember if the very early ones were steel, and the torsion bars will have a different spline-count. That won't matter since both are readily available in many torsion varieties. I prefer the through-body anti-sway bar regardless of the A-arms.

I have 911 Bilstein struts, hubs, and rotors and could have run SC calipers. But I have Wilwood calipers instead... very light they are. These are attached to the original 914 A-arms and 23mm torsion bars, the latter of which were easy to find as new 914 parts.

I'd spend the money on something else.

Good luck

CptTripps
I went with 19mm torsion bars in my conversion. The stock 17s were going to be light, and the 23mm seemed like overkill, especially with removing weight from the calipers.

OP: I wouldn't bother unless it's easier to just un-bolt the entire thing and swap it out in one big upgrade. If you're just doing the brakes and struts, it's easier to leave the rest alone.
GeorgeRud
Just remember that the front torsion bars have different spline counts for -4 and -6 cylinder 914s. Different sized torsion bars are available for both however, so it's not a big deal. When I did my conversion, I simply bolted on the Carrera front struts to the 914 A-arms.
Eric_Shea
Stock 17's give a great ride. That's why the 914-6 had a one off bar made to the 911 spline could and the proper 914 size.

I'd keep the 914 a-arms. Depends on use if course. 80% street? Keep the 17's
campbellcj
It's a minor thing but if your 914 A-arms do not have the swaybar tabs but the 911 ones do, then that would be a reason to swap, although you can also just weld-on the tabs.

Pretty sure on my car we left the 914 A-arms and (aftermarket) 914 T-bars; 911 struts and brakes; SRP swaybar.
lonewolfe
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Aug 14 2014, 05:41 AM) *

I went with 19mm torsion bars in my conversion. The stock 17s were going to be light, and the 23mm seemed like overkill, especially with removing weight from the calipers.

OP: I wouldn't bother unless it's easier to just un-bolt the entire thing and swap it out in one big upgrade. If you're just doing the brakes and struts, it's easier to leave the rest alone.

Hey CptTripps, where did you find 19mm torsion bars? I've looked and everything I find is 20mm or larger.
lonewolfe
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 15 2014, 07:51 AM) *

Stock 17's give a great ride. That's why the 914-6 had a one off bar made to the 911 spline could and the proper 914 size.

I'd keep the 914 a-arms. Depends on use if course. 80% street? Keep the 17's

Do the torsion bars loose their spring/tension over time? I'm sure mine are the originals from 1972.
spsader
Thanks for all the input, I will stick with my 914 a arms and save some money. Save in a manner of speaking as I will surely have no problem finding something else to spend on...there always seems to be something.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.