Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 Head question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1bad914
I tore a 76 2.0 motor down this weekend and the heads had these funky things sticking out of the head next to each intake port. I imagine they are part of the environmental control, but what do you do witht hem and how do you get them out. I have torn many Type IV's down, but have yet to see these. I'm not going back to FI and I'm not usings dual carbs, dare I say the "T" word. What the heck do I do with these funky things?
Mark Henry
Smog air injectors...weld them shut.
skline
They are air injection tubes for emissions vehicles. Remove them and put bolts in place of them. That is what I did.
1bad914
Are the screwed in or friction fit?
Mark Henry
I'm not going back to FI and I'm not usings dual carbs, dare I say the "T" word.

So what are you using..."T" word?

Hope you don't mean "P" word...as in progressive carb IPB Image
1bad914
Turbo! Two years ago I built one and had it running, but I got frustrated with oil plumbing issues and pulled it all off and put on dual webers. Shortly after that I lost the car in a divorce and never got back to the turbo, I now have access to that turbo setup and am thinking about doing it again, I have ideas on how to fix the plumbing problems and also will be re-fabricating the exhaust manifold setup. I don't like something mechanical getting the best of of me so I want to finish it!
Allan
QUOTE (1bad914 @ Jan 24 2005, 09:30 AM)
Are the screwed in or friction fit?

Screwed in.
1bad914
I started to screw them out and the tube just started to twist, looks like a job for a torch and some oil!!! IPB Image The art of destruction...Randy likes!!!! IPB Image
Mark Henry
Doh! IPB Image turbo...of course.

It's a fine thread 10mm I think. I believe someone said a Caterpillar (backhoes, etc) dealer was one place to get them.

I just mig welded the top of the stock tube/bolt shut...works fine.
1bad914
Mark,
I sent you an email. I'll PM you if the address is no good. Cut off the big nut looking thing and weld it shut, good idea!

Randy
Mark Henry
NO...I left the head on! gave them a quick bead blast and welded the hole (in side the hex head) shut.

As for takeing them out, I though for sure that the head was going to twist off...sure looked that way, but all of mine came out. I welded all mine off/out of the head.

Got it...PM sent.

IPB Image
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (1bad914 @ Jan 24 2005, 12:40 PM)
Turbo!

so if you are not using FI and you are not using carburetors, how are you planning to get the fuel in ?
1bad914
If you re-read my post it says dual carbs, I'll be using single DCOE 45 weber, Garret T-4 pushing 11-12 lbs of boost. I had it running before, but thought I had a bad turbo, but realized it was some issues with oil return to the case after cooling the turbo! I'll get it right this time!
1bad914
Another
Mueller
nice.......as old skool as those draw-thur setups are, they sure as heck work and put down some serious power IPB Image

hurry up and get it working again...we want to see some "numbers" IPB Image
1bad914
Thanks! I have to rebuild a 2.0 for the job, but that should happen quickly. You V-8 haters should be happy, this car was in line for a V-8 conversion, but money and time are kicking my butt, so it' is power the Porsche way! Hope to drive it this summer!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.