Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: H gear shortage?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aircooledboy
Well,

Brad Mayeur called friday, and my taller trans is done. IPB Image IPB Image
Hi-evah, there was a small snag that you guys might want to know about. Brad called on monday, and said the used H gear he had that he was planning to use in my trany, he wasn't happy with.(What a guy IPB Image ) Rather than have him use an H-B that he had, I told him to order an H, and I would pay the difference. Well, he found a good used H for 375, and put it in. But, when he went to find another used H for then next trans he was going to do, no luck. IPB Image As of friday, the only H he could find was a new one for like $600.

Might be a temporary issue, but I thought I would let you guys know.
BTW, final bill for my trans: $914.43. IPB Image Looks like legit math on the bill too. No funny business just to make the total $914.
Joe Bob
Guess I got lucky when I paid only 150.....two months ago....
bondo
Damn, it seemed like a surplus of cheap ones when I was trying to sell mine.
aircooledboy
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 24 2005, 02:16 PM)
Damn, it seemed like a surplus of cheap ones when I was trying to sell mine.

Ain't that always the way. IPB Image

IPB Image
Joe Bob
Got mine from a shop that caters to the ass dragger crowd. Maybe they don't know what they are worth???
Mr.C
Is the H gear in the sportomatic? If so what part number does it have?
rick 918-S
IPB Image
aircooledboy
QUOTE (Cabasa @ Jan 24 2005, 04:12 PM)
Is the H gear in the sportomatic? If so what part number does it have?

My completely uniformed opinion is no, they don't come from a Sporto. There weren't too many Sporto's out there, but there are many H gears, so it seems unlikely as the source. On the other hand, I know squat about trans questions. IPB Image

I think I'll go back to drinking now. Is it REALLY only monday. IPB Image
neo914-6
Is the H gear in the sportomatic?
Check my tranny link in my signature...
Hey ,

I have a very good HA 2nd gear set.

What do you folks think it's worth?
ZachP
I'm pretty sure you can find H as second gear in 901 four speeds..... Anyone know what the rpm/speed difference would be between H and HA in 914?
bondo
I got both of my H gears out of 912 4 speeds. It's second gear in those. I think the transmission is technically called a 902.
marks914
Good thing Brad did my tall gear swap a few months ago. Did he do the full gear swap and covert to a four speed for you? You will really love it. The full gear change really changed the way my car drives. The V8 is much happier.
-Mark
aircooledboy
Yes, he did the whole "move 2nd to 4th, 4th to 3rd, 6th to reverse" or what ever the hell it was. IPB Image Truth is, I trust Brad implicitly, so when he said "this is what you should do", I said "ok, let me know when it is done." IPB Image

BTW, in case you are wondering about the price, it was lower than expected, because the box had been serviced well recently. He didn't have to replace a single metal part other than the H. IPB Image
jwalters
IPB Image OK--so now more indepth with this--swap waht gear to what position to get what ratio??? IPB Image
marks914
here is the swap, I think
1st: not used
2nd still 2nd
3rd flipped 4th
4th flipped 3rd
5th flipped H
I have the gears listed at work, I will double check tomorrow.
Brad gave me a pretty good price too, only had to replace one bearing and the H gear. Plus he was able to drive a V8 car for his first before and after test of the gear swap.

--Mark
Chris914n6
QUOTE (marks914 @ Jan 25 2005, 04:32 PM)
2nd still 2nd
3rd flipped 4th
4th flipped 3rd
5th flipped H

--Mark

Yep, that's it.
nicely spaced and good for waterpumpers over 200hp IPB Image
jwalters
QUOTE (marks914 @ Jan 25 2005, 07:32 PM)
here is the swap, I think
2nd still 2nd
3rd flipped 4th
4th flipped 3rd
5th flipped H
I have the gears listed at work, I will double check tomorrow.
Brad gave me a pretty good price too, only had to replace one bearing and the H gear. Plus he was able to drive a V8 car for his first before and after test of the gear swap.

--Mark

Thanks man---let me know those gear numbers please. J. IPB Image
marks914
Here they are...
aircooledboy
WOW!!!! IPB Image
Great chart Mark. Thanks.

IPB Image
jwalters
IPB Image Very nice chart !!!!--which gears are the 32:19???

Are those the higher gearsets everybody is talking about??

And what you are doing is taking the respective gears off thier respective shaft and putting them on the other shaft??? Ok, I think I got it now.....or do I?? IPB Image
jwalters
IPB Image Ok--I am officially dislexic--I have all three trannies on the floor---for the side shift models--explain to me what detents have it in what gear---

ex: pulled away from case and moved fwd is what gear

pulled out from case and moved back is what gear..etc, etc,

I keep looking at the rod coming outta the car and am seeing stars trying to " see" the rod movement in the tranny shift housing--- IPB Image

Would you believe I work on jet aircraft for a living?? IPB Image
dwillouby
Im confused, I thought you replace 5th with the H gear set, Put the 5th set in place of 4th, and put 4th in place of 3rd?

David
bondo
That's what I'm doing. It's more complicated than just moving it though. 2 and 3 have the slider (and dog teeth, syncros, etc. on one shaft, 4 and 5 have it on the other. Whenever you move a gearset from a 2/3 spot to a 4/5 spot, you HAVE to flip it to get it to fit. (By flip I mean whetever gear was on the mainshaft goes on the pinion shaft instead, and vice versa) This reverses the ratio of the gears. (a 19:32 2nd gear becomes a 32:19 5th gear)
jwalters
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 26 2005, 08:12 PM)
That's what I'm doing. It's more complicated than just moving it though. 2 and 3 have the slider (and dog teeth, syncros, etc. on one shaft, 4 and 5 have it on the other. Whenever you move a gearset from a 2/3 spot to a 4/5 spot, you HAVE to flip it to get it to fit. (By flip I mean whetever gear was on the mainshaft goes on the pinion shaft instead, and vice versa) This reverses the ratio of the gears. (a 19:32 2nd gear becomes a 32:19 5th gear)

IPB Image OH MAN--NOW I AM REALLY CONFUSED---
my book lists second as 34:18---and is not one of the gears for second cut from the shaft itself??

I need another beer-- IPB Image ( Big Sigh )
marks914
OK here is how it works:
2nd gear is fixed on the shaft, it stays what it is. 5th is replaced with a flipped H gear. If you move 4th to 3rd, it is too tall, that is why you use the flipped N.
If you need to know what gear is what on the shaft, look at the haynes manual, it has a cutaway.

Mark
bondo
QUOTE (jwalters @ Jan 26 2005, 06:22 PM)

IPB Image OH MAN--NOW I AM REALLY CONFUSED---
my book lists second as 34:18---and is not one of the gears for second cut from the shaft itself??

I need another beer-- IPB Image ( Big Sigh )

Sorry, bad example.. in the 914 trans, second is unmovable for that reason. The 912 4 speed trans has first as the unmovable gear, and second is the H gear. So putting the H gear in the 5th spot requires you to flip it, giving the desired 5th gear ratio.
jwalters
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 27 2005, 11:38 AM)
QUOTE (jwalters @ Jan 26 2005, 06:22 PM)

IPB Image  OH MAN--NOW I AM REALLY CONFUSED---
my book lists second as 34:18---and is not one of the gears for second  cut from the shaft itself??

I need another beer-- IPB Image   ( Big Sigh )

Sorry, bad example.. in the 914 trans, second is unmovable for that reason. The 912 4 speed trans has first as the unmovable gear, and second is the H gear. So putting the H gear in the 5th spot requires you to flip it, giving the desired 5th gear ratio.

IPB Image Ohhhhh- so I would need an H gear from a four speed-----now it is all starting to make sense.....
Aaron Cox
so it drops 5th gear rpm by about a 1000 IPB Image

hmmm... with my 50 series azenis...this could be good. that and a flipped 3rd with an H for 5th IPB Image IPB Image
marks914
The rpm drops 700 rpms in the new top gear from stock (ZD?) gear.
Mark
dwillouby
Sounds like I need to pull my trans. again and do the swap correctly.
David
redshift
My V8 had a flipped H, but I never went that fast, don't regret that either.

smile.gif

M
BigD9146gt
Heres a spread sheet i got from the bird site...
The HA second gear in 5th would be just a hair under a H gear in 5th.

I know GPR has a few used H's in stock

user posted image
bondo
QUOTE (BigD9146gt @ Feb 1 2005, 08:18 PM)
Heres a speed sheet i got from the bird site...
The HA second gear in 5th would be just a hair under a H gear in 5th.

Did the HA come in any 4 speeds? If it's only from a 5 speed, then it will be part of the mainshaft and unusable for 5th.
redshift
Hmm.... it's out there as a single gear, just finding good ones, and robbing banks for fun, and profit... and for the addiction..

I bet that one is hard to find.

M
ZachP
HA didn't come in 4 speed 901s. But I think it was offered as an option for 911S from 1968 until 1970. Can anyone confirm or correct this? That same tranmission was also used in a few circuit races. H, however, was used for 2nd in 4 speeds. Didn't the sportomatic have an HB or something like that? Or Did that also use HA?
redshift
Welp....

http://members.rennlist.com/chuxter/901&915ratios.htm

See, the problem is, you won't find it in a 901, 911, 914, or 915 box....

wink.gif

Hey, 7:27 r&p? Anyone have that?

M
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Russian019 @ Feb 2 2005, 01:25 AM)
HA didn't come in 4 speed 901s. But I think it was offered as an option for 911S from 1968 until 1970. Can anyone confirm or correct this? That same tranmission was also used in a few circuit races. H, however, was used for 2nd in 4 speeds. Didn't the sportomatic have an HB or something like that? Or Did that also use HA?

901/00 4 speed has an HB second. I know, I just pulled mine apart last night. The H second is from the Sportomatic.

On topic, If anyone is building a V-8 and is locking out 1st, why not do it right. Get the reverse gear setup from a 901 4 speed. I have one if anyone wants to buy it.

NO, the HB gear set is not for sale. It's going in my car for 5th.

bondo
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Feb 2 2005, 06:33 AM)

901/00 4 speed has an HB second. I know, I just pulled mine apart last night. The H second is from the Sportomatic.

On topic, If anyone is building a V-8 and is locking out 1st, why not do it right. Get the reverse gear setup from a 901 4 speed. I have one if anyone wants to buy it.

What year is that 4 speed from? I pulled apart 2 4 speeds from mid 60s 912s, and they both had H seconds. I'm not sure the 4 speed reverse stuff will fit on a 5 speed without using the mainshaft from a 4 speed.. maybe it will, I haven't tried it. Using a 4 speed mainshaft would be bad though, as the first gear ratio would be way too low.
skline
QUOTE (bondo @ Feb 2 2005, 07:28 AM)
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Feb 2 2005, 06:33 AM)

901/00 4 speed has an HB second. I know, I just pulled mine apart last night.  The H second is from the Sportomatic.  

On topic, If anyone is building a V-8 and is locking out 1st, why not do it right. Get the reverse gear setup from a 901 4 speed.   I have one if anyone wants to buy it.

What year is that 4 speed from? I pulled apart 2 4 speeds from mid 60s 912s, and they both had H seconds. I'm not sure the 4 speed reverse stuff will fit on a 5 speed without using the mainshaft from a 4 speed.. maybe it will, I haven't tried it. Using a 4 speed mainshaft would be bad though, as the first gear ratio would be way too low.

agree.gif I heard the 912 had the H gear in them also.
ClayPerrine
901/00 from a 71 911 with a 4 speed. The mainshaft will interchange, just different gearing. I just took apart a 901/00 and a 911/14 last night. The only differnece in the mainshaft is the gear on them. The 901/00 has an A for the fixed gear, and the 911/14 has an F.

The reverse parts will fit on a 914 mainshaft.

It's possible that the 912 has an H for second.

Joe Bob
Scott....I have that 901 trans sitting in the garage....H gear, Quaife LSD, billet intermediate plate and a fresh rebuild from Red Beard, still in the shrink wrap.....interested?
skline
Of course I am interested, unfortunatly, my wallet says otherwise. I will have to wait and see what the tax man says.
Joe Bob
Well it ain't going anywhere...seems like NO ONE has any money right now....including ME.
skline
QUOTE (mikez @ Feb 2 2005, 08:31 AM)
Well it ain't going anywhere...seems like NO ONE has any money right now....including ME.

Yeah, I noticed all of your cars are for sale. If one sells, are you going to keep the rest?
Joe Bob
selling two will help.....the Dakota and the V8 would be my choice...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.