Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust studs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot_Cannon
I had to tighten a loose exhaust stud yesterday and my 12mm socket kept getting stuck because it is such a tight fit where the socket fits in. I am thinking of getting a cheap 12mm socket and grinding the outside down a little. Has anyone had to do this? Any other ideas?
cheers, Elliot
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Jan 24 2005, 01:29 PM)
I had to tighten a loose exhaust stud yesterday and my 12mm socket kept getting stuck because it is such a tight fit where the socket fits in. I am thinking of getting a cheap 12mm socket and grinding the outside down a little. Has anyone had to do this? Any other ideas?
cheers, Elliot

on one of them..yes...the 12mm socket gets stuck....

i just deal with it.... IPB Image
Mueller
yep...I have a few sockets I've had to grind down....I'd stick with a decent brand unit, the walls get pretty thin when grinding...I also think a 1/4" drive works better than a 3/8" on some parts of the exhaust.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 24 2005, 12:52 PM)
yep...I have a few sockets I've had to grind down....I'd stick with a decent brand unit, the walls get pretty thin when grinding...I also think a 1/4" drive works better than a 3/8" on some parts of the exhaust.

Yup 1/4" drive deep well 12mm socket. universal joint and a 4" extension. You got to really try to strip the threads with a short handle.
DJsRepS
Do buy a good grade socket and grind it up. Dont use one that binds up as it could put an un natrual pressure on an tightend stud and bad things may happen.
scotty914
i use a 1/4 drive on every thing i can to prevent stripping and it has worked so far, i have havent stripped anything........ not on wood IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.