Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo drive Gear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsaum
So there I was driving the 914 in the sunshine in all it's glory after many years of work and I hear something dragging so I stop and see that the speedo drive gear has fallen out! I pulgged it up with paper towels and limped it home, grabbed another tranny and pulled the gear got it in place to find that the set screw threads which appear to be a heilacoil are missing. Does anyone know what the threads are in the transmission housing end cap?
Dr Evil
8x1.25

I have an oversized time-cert set to fix them as they tend to be over tqed. They only need like 8ft/lb and people go all hulk on them. If you need one repaired, send me the tail cone and I can hook you up for cost of time-cert.
jsaum
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 16 2014, 04:54 PM) *

8x1.25

I have an oversized time-cert set to fix them as they tend to be over tqed. They only need like 8ft/lb and people go all hulk on them. If you need one repaired, send me the tail cone and I can hook you up for cost of time-cert.

OK I'll be at the PNW clinic maybe we can do it there. I have a spare tail shifter I might try and swap it or can this be done in the car?
jsaum
I think I got it patched up for now I was able to get an insert in and get the bolt back in. Yes at least half of the threads looked stripped. I'm going to use blue lock tite as some added insurance. Back on the road again!
Dr Evil
DONT LOCK TITE! Bad idea. Like I said, 8ft/lb. It will not vibrate out. If you lock tite it you will set it up for failure later on removal. Its not needed so dont worry.
jsaum
OK you're the expert, I always over do things!
Thanks for the help!

jsaum
Dr Evil
smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.