Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back pad
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
I always thought about some different type of light switch for the back pad that a person could mount along with the other switches, that you could just turn a knob, and come on, instead of squirreling your arm around to flip that switch seems like would be a improvemnt.
partwerks
[quote name='partwerks' date='Aug 16 2014, 06:56 PM' post='2074705']
I always thought about some different type of light switch for the back pad that a person could mount along with the other switches, that you could just turn a knob, and come on, instead of squirreling your arm around to flip that switch seems like would be a improvemnt.

I might just have a light mounted in the front trunk also, now that I think about it.
steuspeed
I was thinking about adding some VW bus dome lights under the dash.

http://www.vw-wagenwerks.com/servlet/the-8...-dsh--VW/Detail
partwerks
Does that dump out much light?

I don't know where I would put it, as I am running out of real estate, with the under dash heater on the passenger side. Ultimately, I am going to ditch that console and gauges when I get to that point, and convert the main driver gauges to the dash.
steuspeed
I don't know. I liked the idea that it is a VW part. Seems like it would put out enough light for the footwell. I see 5W markings on the bulb plate. So 10W total for two bulbs. The back pad light is 10W, so pop it out and run a couple jumper wires under the dash and see how it looks.
damesandhotrods
$36 for a used dome light in fair condition?
steuspeed
Just had another idea. How about mounting a 914 trunk light under the dash and keep it totally 914 parts.
Rand
I could sell you a really nice light. It uses triple A batteries. It works better and lasts longer. I even have a version you can stick to your backpad.

That stock piece of shit is only for the most extreme concourse weenies. It's worthless. Shop QVC for a closet sticky on your wall light.
Mblizzard
The approach I took was to mount some led strip lights under the seats and actually behind the back pad at the base of the window. Intied thes into the existing dome light wiring.

They are bright enough to put out useful light enen though it is not direct. Use a 20" strip for the back pad and 2 12" strips mounted on the top of the hump under the seat facing upward. Works very well. Pretty simple, out of site, works very well, and very easy to remove in needed. I can post pictures if anyone is intrested.
pcar916
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 29 2014, 03:43 AM) *

The approach I took was to mount some led strip lights...

agree.gif Very useful those. It doesn't matter how long they stay on if there aren't many of them. They use very little current. The waterproof ones make for a excellent emergency lighting in the trunk or engine compartment for those nocturnal "What was that noise?" adventures.
barefoot
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Aug 16 2014, 11:15 PM) *

They seem kinda pricey for something you won'r necessarily see
But I'm a CSOB
barefoot
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Aug 16 2014, 11:15 PM) *

They seem kinda pricey for something you won'r necessarily see
But I'm a CSOB
partwerks
I'm ok with the light postion, just wanted a different way to turning it on, from a different location. Like some cars had a knob that you turned to the left to get the dome light to come on, in that I could put something comparable on the dash face plate.

Similar to the way to raise/lower the lighting with the gauges.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.