Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The first five days with the '73
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cn2800
Well, I've spent the last week poking, prodding, disassembling, eyeballing, and chin scratching, and have found out a few things.

First off, the engine is a very late 1974 2 liter (12th to last engine number for '74).

It runs!

It moves!

Most of the electrical items appear to function.

For those of you who have looked at the first set of photos I posted and thought, "He'll never be a REAL 914 owner if he doesn't have any rust to repair", I have removed the driver's side outer rocker panel and aluminum sill plate:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Now, on to the collision damage - I've removed the front lid, hinges, springs, washer bottle, and bumper:

Click to view attachment

It does not appear that the main damage extended beyond the first firewall:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

However, the trailing edge of the compartment lid was mashed into the cowl at the outside corners. I think the cowl can be repaired in place:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Now, here are some photos of an issue that makes me a little nervous, but I'm hoping that once the bent metal is removed, the force it's exerting will be gone and the remaining metal will relax back into position. The driver's door fixed glass frame with the door closed:

Click to view attachment

The driver's door and fender panel gap:

Click to view attachment

The passenger's door and fender panel gap:

Click to view attachment

The damage seems to be pushing the left side of the car back and to the right, while pulling the right side of the car forward and to the left...

I don't have the donor car on site yet, so I'll be spending the next days continuing the disassembly process. Feel free to let me know how you would proceed it this circumstance!

Thanks,

Carl
Mike Bellis
You're not planning on fixing that are you? At a glance, the cost to repair that body, straighten it and repair the rust will far exceed its worth.
cn2800
There was a donor car included with the sale. I'll be doing the body work myself (with some friendly assistance). I could also be a little crazy.

In all my years of owning old cars, this is the first time I've had the sort of shop with the room and functionality where I could do a full teardown and rebuild. This car happened to pop up at just the right moment and for a minimum purchase price.

It's entirely possible that the collision damage is too extensive to realistically repair. I'll give it my best shot. I think it can be done.

For anyone who wouldn't touch this with a ten-foot pole, please know I have a supply of eleven-foot poles leaning up in the corner smile.gif
Mike Bellis
I'm not saying it can't be fixed. I'm just saying it's not worth it. You can only see 20% of the rust on a 914. Once you see it in the door jam, the car is a gonner. Unless it is an original 914-6, it is not financially responsible to restore a car that far gone. You will need to put the chassis on a Celette bench to get it straight again plus you have major rust damage.

If you are just practicing body work, carry on.
cn2800
Mike, I feel guilty if I hold onto money for too long. Poor stuff feels like it's not doing anything...
swooshdave
Add VIN to database and part out. Take proceeds to get straight car.
swooshdave
QUOTE(cn2800 @ Aug 16 2014, 10:53 PM) *

Mike, I feel guilty if I hold onto money for too long. Poor stuff feels like it's not doing anything...

Sending paypal address to alieviate your issue. bye1.gif
914Sixer
Part it and move on.
mepstein
sometimes, just because you can, doesn't mean you should. a lot of guys with really high skill level end up with the never done project car that never makes it back on the road. It's just not a very good allocation of resources. If your thing is the journey, then this is a car to work on. If you want a car to drive, part this one out.
bandjoey
Common guys. He's got a stack of 11 foot poles. I can't wait to see the repair pictures. It's a worthy challenge to save another one. welder.gif
Cuda911
Most of that should buff right out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.