Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Mufflers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
patssle
I was under the impression that 911 2 in / 1 or 2 out mufflers would work for 914-6 cars. Am I wrong? I picked up a Dansk 2 in 2 out muffler that a friend let me borrow and it doesn't fit. The OD of my MSDS headers are 26.5 inches. The OD of the input flanges of the muffler are 27.75 inches.

I don't know what to do now! Everything I had read said 911 mufflers will work great.
toolguy
Yes, early 911 and 914-6 are the same muffler body but OE 6's have a slightly different single outlet tube shape to conform to the single outlet hole in the stock 6 rear valance panel. . . . If yours doesn't see to fit, I'd suggest you loosen the connections to the heads , then try the muffler.
rgalla9146
I agree with Toolguy.
All "2in" mufflers have the same inlet locations.
The issue is most likely the aftermarket headers.
Loosen all fasteners and try again.
Also the muffler hanger will be a good indication of where the headers have to go.
If you don't have a hanger the one for 73-74 2.0s is very similar to a 914 6 and is an ideal substitute.
patssle
If the exhaust is flush and sealed without any force from the muffler prying the exhaust outputs apart 1.25 inches....would loosening the exhaust and then re-tightening with the muffler forcing the ends apart possibly not let the exhaust seal fully against the heads?

I do have a muffler hanger that came extra with the car but I don't know what year it is and it does not line up to the exhaust bolt holes - the hanger bolt holes are 2-3 inches above the exhaust.
GeorgeRud
That muffler hanger looks to be for a 1.7 or 1.8 liter car, and won't fit the -6 muffler.

If you're not sure about the headers, give Martin at MSDS a call and he would know if there's any issue with the headers. He's a good guy and his stuff is top notch.

obviously, you need to leave off the lower valance or cut a notch for the other outlet pipe from the muffler if it's two out (bullhorn style). A 'sport exhaust' muffler should exit under the later style rear valance without clearance holes.
patssle
Marty responded to my email and gave me some tips - I'm going to give it a try this evening. Will post the results!
patssle
My exhaust did end up bolting fine after loosening the headers.

Per muffler hanger - are the 73-74 2.0s the only year/model that will work with /6 headers/mufflers?

Which version is this reproduction on PelicanParts?

IPB Image

PS. I have a 1.7/1.8 model muffler hanger and willing to trade for the early model!
Dave_Darling
That image looks like the 2.0 version, which is what you want. There are three versions, one for the 70-74 1.7/1.8, one for the 73-74 2.0, and one for the 75-76 1.8/2.0 .

--DD
patssle
And the early 2.0 is the only one that will fit out of those 3...correct? The later 2.0 will not.
914Sixer
Correct, only the 73-74 2.0L will work.
patssle
I made my 1.7/1.8 muffler work with my /6 headers. Might not be original design but I think it worked out nicely. Couple dollars of nuts and bolts beats $65 for a new hanger.

Click to view attachment
worn
QUOTE(patssle @ Aug 31 2014, 02:35 PM) *

I made my 1.7/1.8 muffler work with my /6 headers. Might not be original design but I think it worked out nicely. Couple dollars of nuts and bolts beats $65 for a new hanger.

Click to view attachment

Exactly what I am planning! Spooky close. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.