Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 50th Anniversary 914 Rally
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
I was thinking about how our cars turn 50 in 5 years or so.

Wouldn't it be cool to organize a Coast to Coast celebration, where a group of 914 owners drive from East Coast to West Coast? Party at each stop?

It would take a week or so, and we'd have to organize it well, but what do YOU think?
Mike Bellis
I would like to thank Rob for organizing this event. biggrin.gif

I think it would be fun. I'm pretty sure my car would make it. Sounds like a long drive though. A coast to coast rally would take at least 2 weeks to get there and back. That's if you only stayed in one place for a single day.
soltino
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Aug 17 2014, 10:57 AM) *

I would like to thank Rob for organizing this event. biggrin.gif

I think it would be fun. I'm pretty sure my car would make it. Sounds like a long drive though. A coast to coast rally would take at least 2 weeks to get there and back. That's if you only stayed in one place for a single day.

I think that is way too ambitious even with 5 years lead time.

3 or 4 coast get together would be more possible.

tino
Elliot Cannon
We should all meet at a geographically central town. (Not Paso Robles) biggrin.gif
Kansas City??
Johny Blackstain
Memphis. Walking up & down Beal street w/ a cocktail in my hand (legally), lookin @ Teeners & shootin the breeze sounds like a good time.
Elliot Cannon
Tulsa. Just a little further west?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 17 2014, 12:22 PM) *

How about somewhere cool? Somewhere where the tooth count is over 10? Somewhere that has no banjo music? Somewhere we actually want to go to? Somewhere where they have actually heard of Porsche?
Nozzle
The Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex or Austin is pretty centrally located and has something to offer for just about everyone. Time of year would be critical as Summer is not easy time of year to be outside in central Texas.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Nozzle @ Aug 17 2014, 12:35 PM) *

The Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex or Austin is pretty centrally located and has something to offer for just about everyone. Time of year would be critical as Summer is not easy time of year to be outside in central Texas.

Austin would be cool. They have hills, turns and trees. There is a pretty cool downtown too.
Big Len
The country might be too big, so have 2, west coast (Denver, Las Vegas?) and east coast (Memphis, Nashville?).

Dead center is probably Kansas City, if one place is selected.

I have to admit, looking at those pictures from Bormio, Italy, I'd like to cruise through some mountains even though my 1.8 would be weezing up the grades, many probably in 3rd gear.
3d914
How about multiple meeting points - say at least one in each time zone. That way there would be multiple segments so people could do the whole thing or just a segment or two.
poorsche914
agree.gif

As much as a national meet would be awesome, the US of A is HUGE blink.gif
A one-day drive for some is a 2 or even 3-day drive for others. driving.gif yellowsleep[1].gif driving-girl.gif yellowsleep[1].gif driving.gif

Okteenerfest 2020 - 914 50th anniversary idea.gif

driving.gif
3d914
Where's the link with the map of 914 owners across the country? We could focus in cities where we're more heavily located.
dlkawashima
Boulder, CO is only 400 miles away from the geographic center of the contiguous states. Just sayin'.
3d914
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Aug 17 2014, 01:35 PM) *

Okteenerfest 2020 - 914 50th anniversary idea.gif

I like it!
mobymutt
QUOTE(RobW @ Aug 17 2014, 01:52 PM) *

I was thinking about how our cars turn 50 in 5 years or so.

Wouldn't it be cool to organize a Coast to Coast celebration, where a group of 914 owners drive from East Coast to West Coast? Party at each stop?

It would take a week or so, and we'd have to organize it well, but what do YOU think?

Maybe a relay format? I'm not sure I'd want to drive mine out of CAA towing distance, haha.
matthepcat
It's enough time to notify AAA ahead of time to put more tow truck drivers near the route.
PanelBilly
I second Rob as the committee chairman. Hey maybe that event could be a new deadline for my engine to be complete
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Big Len @ Aug 17 2014, 04:26 PM) *

The country might be too big, so have 2, west coast (Denver, Las Vegas?) and east coast (Memphis, Nashville?).

Dead center is probably Kansas City, if one place is selected.

I have to admit, looking at those pictures from Bormio, Italy, I'd like to cruise through some mountains even though my 1.8 would be weezing up the grades, many probably in 3rd gear.

Memphis, Nashville fairly central, do-able for us east coast teeners too.
jim_hoyland
Great Idea ! smile.gif beerchug.gif

A 1/2 way point or points sounds intriguing. Perhaps Porsche dealers would take an interest and support such an event. This event could launch the recognition and appreciation of 914s to a wider audience that has previously poo-pood them.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Aug 17 2014, 01:43 PM) *

Boulder, CO is only 400 miles away from the geographic center of the contiguous states. Just sayin'.

How about a Pikes Peak run?
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Aug 17 2014, 03:12 PM) *

Sounds fun, as long as everyone avoids this result ...
Click to view attachment
bandjoey
Each time zone. Let's work on it.
Big Len
Before declaring a national meet out of the question, let's look at some details first.

St. Louis, Missouri is dead center of the country. It has a major airport and is a transportation center. Plenty of hotels, restaurants, and things to do. Guessing a 4 day event?

http://explorestlouis.com/groups-reunions/

You'd need to get the cooperation of the city, the sponsorship of a nearby Porsche dealer, and help of the local PCA, all with the idea of event planning, accommodations, etc. Maybe have a 914 day at Busch Stadium to see a Cardinals game?

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/stl/ballpark/

For the attendees farther than, let's say, 500 miles, general transportation points ( Say 3 east coast and 3 west coast cities) could agreed to with contracted transporters taking the cars the rest of the way and then picking them up for their return.

Just thinking out loud here.

Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Big Len @ Aug 17 2014, 05:11 PM) *

Before declaring a national meet out of the question, let's look at some details first.

St. Louis, Missouri is dead center of the country. It has a major airport and is a transportation center. Plenty of hotels, restaurants, and things to do. Guessing a 4 day event?

http://explorestlouis.com/groups-reunions/

You'd need to get the cooperation of the city, the sponsorship of a nearby Porsche dealer, and help of the local PCA, all with the idea of event planning, accommodations, etc. Maybe have a 914 day at Busch Stadium to see a Cardinals game?

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/stl/ballpark/

For the attendees farther than, let's say, 500 miles, general transportation points ( Say 3 east coast and 3 west coast cities) could agreed to with contracted transporters taking the cars the rest of the way and then picking them up for their return.

Just thinking out loud here.

If things have calmed down by then. sad.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Aug 17 2014, 12:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 17 2014, 12:22 PM) *

How about somewhere cool? Somewhere where the tooth count is over 10? Somewhere that has no banjo music? Somewhere we actually want to go to? Somewhere where they have actually heard of Porsche?

Tulsa is actually not too bad. Nice restaurants, bars, clubs etc. At least there was 30 years ago. OKC... Not so much. (No offense) laugh.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Aug 17 2014, 03:51 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Holy krap!! That car rolled right off the flat bed into a rock. The flat bed driver must not have tied the car down properly. What a maroon! lol-2.gif
EdwardBlume
Coast to coast charity car? PCA sponsor? We all need to celebrate 50. Think about it...
wndsnd
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Aug 17 2014, 04:24 PM) *

Austin would be cool. They have hills, turns and trees. There is a pretty cool downtown too.

Maybe we could run the Circuit of the Americas!! w00t.gif

John
jim_hoyland
Just a thought: 50 years, 50 states, 50 cars....some ideas of promoting a basic theme. PCA might be interested in the 50 year concept smile.gif
jim_hoyland
Just a thought: 50 years, 50 states, 50 cars....some ideas of promoting a basic theme. PCA might be interested in the 50 year concept smile.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Aug 17 2014, 07:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Aug 17 2014, 04:24 PM) *

Maybe we could run the Circuit of the Americas!! w00t.gif

John

I'm down for COTA in Austin.
Catering by Rudy's bbq !
Marty
Click to view attachment
Socalandy
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 17 2014, 03:08 PM) *

Great Idea ! smile.gif beerchug.gif

This event could launch the recognition and appreciation of 914s to a wider audience that has previously poo-pood them.

What... and put an end to all those questions we get at the guzoline station blink.gif
bandjoey
People say... Circuit of the Americas is the best F1 track yet. However. Regional events will probably be the only way to draw a crowd.

Why not run a Time Zone survey to see how many might attend? The only way to get sponsors, PCA, publicity, and major prizes is with good projected attendance.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Aug 17 2014, 03:51 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Btw- this picture is truly inspiring!
Rocketv
Indianapolis is cool. The event could coincide with the Tudor Sports car race in July and everyone could enjoy the hospitality of Porsche N.A. At the Speedway for the race, swell the ranks of the PorschePlatz, meet the factory drivers if things go like they have the past couple years, and then take advantage of downtown Indy that night. One bar even has a Porsche-themed Martini and Rossi room where we can relax with a drink and a stogie at the end of the day.
Kansas 914
Tulsa has a great track (Hallett) very close and it is cheap to rent the track for a day during the week.

Just something to keep in mind.

http://www.hallettracing.com/track/

Monday & Friday $2,415
Tuesday - Thursday $1,300
Saturday & Sunday $3,150

Test day price includes 5 cars. Additional cars are $100 each.

Click to view attachment
bandjoey
That's $24.15 per car for up to 5 cars????? av-943.gif We're CSOB's you know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.