Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Rebuild Shops in west Texas
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brink
Anyone know of a good transmission rebuilder in the west Texas area?
GeorgeRud
Ed Mayo's shop is in Texas, though I don't know where. Otherwise send it to Dr. Evil to let him do the surgery and you'll have a great gearbox.
Sfreeman615
agree.gif with George, I sent mine to Dr. Evil and he rebuilt it ans sent it back! highly recommend send it to him, then you know its done right!
JawjaPorsche
Get it done RIGHT. Dr. Evil is the way to go.
Dr Evil
Dang, nothing like word of mouth advertizing smile.gif I am here if you need me, feel free to shop around and compare. I bet I can beat the competition and have a great track record.
dw914six
agree.gif i am in Houston and used the good doc. Shipping is less expense and hassle than you might think. The 901 comes back and it works right. He does this all of the time. Odds are he will get it correct.
Mblizzard
Going to have to recommend the good Dr. Evil. Mine has been flawless!
Brink
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 17 2014, 01:48 PM) *

Dang, nothing like word of mouth advertizing smile.gif I am here if you need me, feel free to shop around and compare. I bet I can beat the competition and have a great track record.

Sounds like good recomendations, thanks for the response.
Spoke
Dr. Evil rebuilt my trans. Runs like a charm.

BTW,

welcome.png
david63
Cool to hear of another 914 in Midland. Rich Lambert in Benbrook rebuilt mine and he did a great job. He runs a small air cooled only shop. A little hard to get a hold of but really good prices. PM me for his email.
Dave_Darling
One small caveat: Comparing one of the Doc's transmissions to one of Ed's is somewhat apples to oranges.

The Doc has a supply of good used parts on hand that he can install in your trans. Ed will almost certainly use new parts, especially wear parts like synchros, if he feels yours are worn.
The Doc does this as a bit more than a hobby. Ed makes his living working on Porsches. (Which may or may not mean anything.)
The Doc has a lot less overhead than most pro mechanics.
The Doc charges less in labor than pretty much any pro mechanic.

So you will be getting more new parts when going with a trusted pro, but you will be paying more for the work. I personally would not hesitate to use either option. I know and respect Ed greatly. I know the Doc, and respect his work at least... wink.gif (And enjoy giving him grief when I can. biggrin.gif )

--DD
Dr Evil
agree.gif Well stated and accurate smile.gif
Dr Evil
Actually, I would like to make one correction, I am doing this as a legit business with legit costs and overhead. I have spent $3000 of my transmission income to buy cores and am currently in a hole. I have also come to depend on my business income. I hope that this changes in the future, but for the last 10 years the income has supplemented deficits in my job income. This move to OH will hopefully change that paradigm.

Now, that being said, the shops that are there especially for our cars, with great shop owners, are a treasure and if you can afford to do business with them I back that play. I am in friendly competition with the other shops. Also, you get more for more $$. I am here to provide a service for those that can not blow a lot on one part of their car. I am glad to report that in 10 years I have never had a returned gear box. I did a free overhaul on one box that I built in 2004 and was happy to see it was in good shape. The owner just wanted it checked out and resealed for the new owner of the car. Pretty cool thing to do smile.gif
Brink
QUOTE(david63 @ Aug 17 2014, 03:37 PM) *

Cool to hear of another 914 in Midland. Rich Lambert in Benbrook rebuilt mine and he did a great job. He runs a small air cooled only shop. A little hard to get a hold of but really good prices. PM me for his email.

Thanks, I'll take his email.
Brink
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 17 2014, 09:23 PM) *

One small caveat: Comparing one of the Doc's transmissions to one of Ed's is somewhat apples to oranges.

The Doc has a supply of good used parts on hand that he can install in your trans. Ed will almost certainly use new parts, especially wear parts like synchros, if he feels yours are worn.
The Doc does this as a bit more than a hobby. Ed makes his living working on Porsches. (Which may or may not mean anything.)
The Doc has a lot less overhead than most pro mechanics.
The Doc charges less in labor than pretty much any pro mechanic.

So you will be getting more new parts when going with a trusted pro, but you will be paying more for the work. I personally would not hesitate to use either option. I know and respect Ed greatly. I know the Doc, and respect his work at least... wink.gif (And enjoy giving him grief when I can. biggrin.gif )

--DD

Thanks for the perspective. I'm looking for a local shop, if possible. I'll be using Dr. Evil if that falls thru.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.