Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock steering wheel modification?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Is there an easy method to increase the thickness of the rim on the stock wheels?

Ideally it would be nice to have the additional material go mostly on the inside diameter so that I don't lose any leg to wheel clearance.
anthony
You can add a Wheelskin to a stock leather covered wheel. It will make it feel thicker overall and not add too much to the outside diameter. There would probably be a way to build up the inside of the wheel (layers of duct tape?) to make it even thicker before you cover it.
John
I don't have a link to it and I don't remember what it was called, but I remember a foam type steering wheel wrap that had some "memory" to it. You could apply it to the wheel and grip it and your fingers would "form" personalized "grips". The wheel was then cured and would become perminant but still plyable.

Something like this applied to the inside diameter of the wheel and then covered with a leather steering wheel cover would give you lots of thickness. I only wish I remember what that foam crap was.

just my $0.02
McMark
Duct tape. That's awesome. Would probably work great too!
ppickerell
Free yourself. Ditch the stock wheel and get a smaller dia. thicker outer ring aftermarket wheel.
Mark Henry
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 24 2005, 06:12 PM)
Duct tape.  That's awesome.  Would probably work great too!

"if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"

Red Green

http://www.redgreen.com/menu.asp
Mueller
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Jan 24 2005, 03:15 PM)
Free yourself. Ditch the stock wheel and get a smaller dia. thicker outer ring aftermarket wheel.

that would entail spending too much money IPB Image

steering wheels are expensive IPB Image
Joe Bob
Hmmmm, another guy that doesn't get OLN....see other post re Paris/Dakar....
bondo
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Jan 24 2005, 03:17 PM)
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 24 2005, 06:12 PM)
Duct tape.  That's awesome.  Would probably work great too!

"if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"

Red Green

The handyman's secret weapon! (we need a duct tape smilie)
MartyYeoman
Mike,
I have a stock steering wheel that I put two wheel covers on.
I used it for years. It is actually quite comfortable.
I'm not using it anymore.
If you want to check it out drop me a PM.
Marty
anderssj
Mike,

Here's a picture of a "wheelskin" brand cover on a stock 914 wheel. Installing it brought the wheel from skinny to just about right . . . .

I think you can capture the image and expand it to get better detail.

Hope this helps,

Steve A-
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (mikez @ Jan 24 2005, 04:21 PM)
Hmmmm, another guy that doesn't get OLN....see other post re Paris/Dakar....

Good one. IPB Image

But gotta warn ya - I got OLN and duct tape...

"I'm so poor I can barely afford my luxuries, much less my basics". IPB Image

I've got a sparco wheel which I just peeled the deteriorated leather off and wrapped it in duct tape. On my second 6 month old layer now. Works great and doesn't look any worse than the rest of the car. IPB Image
MattR
You want cheap? Get over grip for tennis rackets IPB Image
SpecialK
I'm assuming that you currently have the stock hard plastic steering wheel. I recovered one of the original leather steering wheels (the kind AA wants $1200 for... IPB Image ), and it had fairly thick foam rubber already molded to it. Got one of those steering wheel recover kits, and now it's phat!
brownaar
Mike,
I too have a wheelskin leather over a stock leather wheel and find it to be a good thickness as well as looking good.

Aaron
jim912928
I put an 80's leather 911 steering wheel on mine. Smaller, fatter...you can get them cheap. You just have to fab a piece (i used the plastic cover from my 914 wheel) to cover about a 1/2" gap on the steering column
Eric_Shea
Mike,

The trick is, as discussed here, two wheelskins (if you have a plasitc wheel, one if you have a covered wheel already).

There was a fairly extensive thread on the Birdie Board from some guy who was taking 914 wheels (cause they're the size of original RS wheels) and putting two covers on them. He was also taking the bases off them etc... (or something like that)

Maybe someone can drum up that link.

I think this is exactly what you're looking for.
mike_the_man
Here's a nice DIY one!

DIY cover

This one is really cheap on ebay. And sexy! Ggggrrrrr!

ebay steering wheel cover

Ok, I'll shut up now. IPB Image
mskala
Yep, even $10 at pep boys for a leather cover kit will make the
wheel a more 'modern' grip diameter. You just need strong hands
to keep the thread goin' tight. Follows the original finger indents,
too. Also be careful you don't end up with a slight extra amount
at the end or it will tend to pucker.
Mueller
I've got 2 wheels at home, not sure which one is orignal now....I'll try to post some pictures later on...thanks for the suggestions...(most of them, LOL)
buck toenges
Jim,

Will that 911 steering wheel fit the earlier 914 with out the bigger turn signal switches? Does your horn work? Did you just call a west coast dismantler for one? Splines are the same? What type of seats do you have in your 914? They don't look stock.
jim912928
Buck, the steering wheel was off of my 1980SC (I put an 87 interior in that car). The splines were fine..there is just about 1/2 inch gap though. So, I cut down the plastic cover off of the back of the 914..used the 914 turnsignal stopper thing and the horn ring. Everything works fine.

The seats are Koenig's (konig's?) made for a 914. Very high side bolsters and match the 914 backpad perfect. From the rear of the car you can't tell the difference as the headrests match the stock 914 headrest form. Pain to get in and out of but you fit in there like a hand in a glove.
buck toenges
Jim are these the koenigs you are talking about? I just got a pair of corbeau classics but don't like they way they feel. The top of the seat is too low on my spine of the scapulas. Are those black seats or are they grey?
jim912928
Buck..those are not the seats. These seats are black with black cloth inserts. See attached pic of the seats as I was installing the interior:
SpecialK
Just saw an opportunity to show off my recovered wheel for my '73 that will someday (finger's crossed) actually be back on the road. IPB Image

Yeah....I got bored a couple of years ago and polished the horn button, and steering column cover (not shown)............I've got to quit "dickin' around" so much on the little shit, and put it back together. IPB Image
SpecialK
Okay...what a DA, forgot the pic IPB Image IPB Image

Dent in the leather on the r/h side is just a impression from storage............might as well hang it on the wall, safer there than in my messy-ass garage. IPB Image
914Timo
Looks good, Kevin. IPB Image

Did you recover that youself ?? If you did, where did you get the materials ?? Did you usesome recover kit ??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.