Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's the point of the little plastic plugs in the trunk bed?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cuda911
What's the point of the little plastic plugs in the trunk bed?

There are three of them under the foam liner. (well actually, I only have two... anyone know where I can find one? I know they are not needed, but I want to make this car as "complete" as possible).

Why did Porsche bother designing these holes and then design plugs for them?

Drain holes in case I want to use the trunk as a kiddy pool?

Also, one is a bit smaller than the other two, and appears to be threaded.

Have a plug you can spare?

Thanks!
dlkawashima
I don't know about the two larger holes, but the smaller, threaded hole is for mounting the spare tire in the rear trunk. And you are correct that normally all three holes are capped.

IPB Image
sbsix
I'm looking for the small plug, as well. Anyone? Bruce Stone?
peteyd
The plugs are for air to escape while closing the trunk. Otherwise with the seal it would be air tight and you would not be able to close it as easy.
Cuda911
So with the threaded one, the idea is that I can choose whether I want the spare in the front or the rear?

Back to the other two holes/plugs: Anyone else know?

Pete, an interesting guess, but it can't possibly be correct. First of all, the plugs are meant to be left in place. By your theory, I would need to remove them to easily close the trunk. Second of all, they are below the foam pad and the carpet, which would block air flow through them.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Aug 18 2014, 09:25 AM) *

So with the threaded one, the idea is that I can choose whether I want the spare in the front or the rear?

Yes, that's right. And a standard size tire from back in the day will fit in the rear trunk underneath the targa roof.
RFoulds
My guess is drains., the front trunk has them as well, and it also has 2 holes with tubes that drain out.
Cuda911
Nope, not drains. They are on a raised support member. A drain would be on the lowest surface.

So, still leaves this mystery open.
rgalla9146
That's where Fritz was supposed to squirt the rust proofing.
pete000
My guess is to keep junk or moisture from falling into the cross member cavity. The holes were probably needed for the venting of the welding gasses during assembly of the chassis? Or to allow paint-primer to get into the cavity? This is just a guess.
Cuda911
Hmmm... the holes seem too "finished" (ex: rolled lip) for anything like that, to me. Seems like something along those lines would have just been a punched hole. And, certainly not designed for a plastic plug.

Most mysterious, indeed.
ripper911
Now that you have observed them, their purpose has changed.
mobymutt
I would guess that the holes were meant for locating pins during manufacture.
KELTY360
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Aug 19 2014, 04:11 AM) *

Or, maybe the observer has changed.
boxsterfan
Porsche added them so that Herb Kunststoff could build a small business in Hamburg manufacturing these little plastic plugs. coffee.gif
Cuda911
lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif

Now, to the most serious of issues: Anyone got a plug they don't need (the larger size)? My car will never be complete until I find one!
stugray
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Aug 19 2014, 06:11 AM) *

schrodinger is dead and the cat has 9 lives. Open & close the trunk lid 8 more times....
walterolin
QUOTE(stugray @ Aug 19 2014, 01:50 PM) *

schrodinger is dead and the cat has 9 lives. Open & close the trunk lid 8 more times....

Werner Heisenberg is uncertain whether that will work....
914_teener
QUOTE(stugray @ Aug 19 2014, 10:50 AM) *

That actually was really funny laugh.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.