Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Key won't turn, please help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ben and Ralph
So yesterday I finished my 5 lug conversion. After bleeding the new brakes and adjusting the ride height, I went to turn on the car and the key wouldn't turn. mad.gif I believe one of the tumblers inside the ignition switch might be worn or broken. I found an article on Pelican on how to remove the ignition switch, but according to that you have to turn the key to do it. Is there another way around this? WTF.gif
toolguy
Did you wiggle the steering wheel to release the column lock from binding ??
race914
QUOTE(toolguy @ Aug 19 2014, 09:25 AM) *

Great advice. I've had the steering column 'torque' trap my key in my 914 and 79 911sc
Ben and Ralph
QUOTE(race914 @ Aug 19 2014, 09:45 AM) *

QUOTE(toolguy @ Aug 19 2014, 09:25 AM) *

Great advice. I've had the steering column 'torque' trap my key in my 914 and 79 911sc

yeah, when I got in the car the key wouldn't turn so just by habit I tried to unlock the steering wheel. It was already unlocked but as soon as I wiggled it, it locked. I sat there for 20 min trying to unlock it but I didn't want to break anything, as I was getting really frustrated.
Kirmizi
Have you tried it with a spare key?
Ben and Ralph
QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Aug 19 2014, 10:55 AM) *

Have you tried it with a spare key?

Yup, went home and got a copy I made 4 months ago and it still didn't turn, even sprayed a little PB blaster and it didn't budge. This the first time something like this has happened. It must be the tumbler right? It won't turn at all
Ben and Ralph
Has anyone had this problem before? If so how did you get the ignition tumbler out?
URY914
Look on the bottom of the steering column, there is a screw that starts the whole process to remove the column lock.
mrholland2
Try turning the key over.
Try wiggling it in and out of the hole as you try to turn it on.
Swear it it.
Have some ice cream and try it all again.
Black22
Lubrcate the cylinder with Tri-Flow, then put the key back in the ignition cylinder. With a plastic headed hammer or rubber mallet strike the end of the key. HIT IT SQUARELY and sharply, so as not to bend the key. This will drop any stuck tumblers/wafers to the correct operating height.

Once you get the key to operate the cylinder, remove it from the vehicle and have it repaired immediately. It will happen again so use this opportunity to remedy it. One of these times this trick won't work and then you'll need a drill to remove and replace the cylinder.
Ben and Ralph
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Aug 19 2014, 12:56 PM) *

Try turning the key over.
Try wiggling it in and out of the hole as you try to turn it on.
Swear it it.
Have some ice cream and try it all again.

Haha trust me I threw every word in my vocabulary at it. Even if by some chance it does turn , I don't want this to randomly happen again somewhere. I'm going to dedicate the whole day tomorrow to take it apart
SirAndy
While trying to turn the key left and right continuously, slooooowly move it out of the lock.

I've had some luck with that in the past ...
idea.gif
Ben and Ralph
Thanks for the suggestion you guys, I'm going to try and get it unlocked tomorrow as well as take it apart. Now is it possible to fix a broken ignition tumbler or do i have to just replace it?
Black22
Replace it. The tumbler/wafer that is. No fixing it. You can reuse the cylinder if there is no damage to that.

Try my method. Trust me I'm a locksmith.

tweet sells the parts you'll need.
Ben and Ralph
QUOTE(Black22 @ Aug 19 2014, 06:44 PM) *

Replace it. The tumbler/wafer that is. No fixing it. You can reuse the cylinder if there is no damage to that.

tweet? is that their name on the world?
Black22
QUOTE(Ben and Ralph @ Aug 19 2014, 09:02 PM) *

Yes. "tweet" has replacement tumblers/wafers for rebuilding the cylinders. Check out the classifieds or PM him.
Ben and Ralph
QUOTE(Black22 @ Aug 19 2014, 09:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Ben and Ralph @ Aug 19 2014, 09:02 PM) *

Yes. "tweet" has replacement tumblers/wafers for rebuilding the cylinders. Check out the classifieds or PM him.

Cool thanks for the help! I appreciate it.
Black22
beerchug.gif
76-914

You ever try compressed air, Mike? A rubber disposal connector will fit over the key opening on one end and the other end is smaller and will accept the tip of the your air compressor sprayer/gun/air blaster (or whatever that thing is called?)
Black22
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 20 2014, 09:32 AM) *

You ever try compressed air, Mike? A rubber disposal connector will fit over the key opening on one end and the other end is smaller and will accept the tip of the your air compressor sprayer/gun/air blaster (or whatever that thing is called?)

No Kent, never tried it. It might work depending on how the cylinder is sealed on yhe backside. Some are open and some are sealed. Depends on the make and model. I'll have to experiment next time!

Good to hear from you! Wish I were around to join the Dawn Patrol run your putting together. Miss the SoCal crew!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.