Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If anyone ever tells you their 911 is faster...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
naro914
Many of you have probably seen this before, but I ran across it again today and felt that some of you may not have and might like to see it.

This is a video of a battle between a 1974 turbo charged 911 vs a 1974 914 at Road America in a PCA Club race.

The 914 driver's name is Tim McKenzie. Unfortunately, Tim passed away last year to cancer. Tim was an OUTSTANDING driver, and one of the really good guys, especially to 914 owners. I had needed to learn how to do some things on my car that were similar to him, and he gladly helped me with anything I needed.

Watch this racing action...so whenever someone says 'A 911 will always be faster on the track than a 914"...have them watch this great battle! on an extremely fast track!

https://vimeo.com/29219114

Watch to the end...
StratPlayer
Great video first.gif first.gif
Beeliner
QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 19 2014, 02:10 PM) *

Many of you have probably seen this before, but I ran across it again today and felt that some of you may not have and might like to see it.

This is a video of a battle between a 1974 turbo charged 911 vs a 1974 914 at Road Atlanta in a PCA Club race.

The 914 driver's name is Tim McKenzie. Unfortunately, Tim passed away last year to cancer. Tim was an OUTSTANDING driver, and one of the really good guys, especially to 914 owners. I had needed to learn how to do some things on my car that were similar to him, and he gladly helped me with anything I needed.

Watch this racing action...so whenever someone says 'A 911 will always be faster on the track than a 914"...have them watch this great battle! on an extremely fast track!

Watch to the end...

A first viewing for me.... Wow!
kid914
Very interesting.. thanks for sharing first.gif
injunmort
nice, thanks for posting
race914
What a great duel! It was great the 74s we're passing the newer 'zoomies'
hblyle
Great vid! Made my day!
Big Len
1st for me too. Great sounds.
d914
I knew I knew that name,, as soon as I saw the car I knew.... It was fast as sh@t... I talked with those guys and watched as they were comparing previous year to current lap on where the driver lifted.... I knew I was over my head and gave up on my racing career!!!!
Jacob
Great video! Thanks!
GeorgeRud
This was Road America, not Road Atlanta. Great video!
Wdunster
QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 19 2014, 06:10 PM) *

This is a video of a battle between a 1974 turbo charged 911 vs a 1974 914 at Road Atlanta in a PCA Club race.

Watch to the end...

You never told me Tim passed! Man I hate that what a great guy
naro914
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 19 2014, 11:11 PM) *

George
Yes it is, and I know that...and for some reason Road Atlanta came out of my fingers when I typed!!
And I'm amazed it took to the 11th post for someone to notice!

QUOTE(Wdunster @ Aug 19 2014, 11:21 PM) *

Bill, I actually didn't know until early this year...just googled something on his car and found an article on it. He passed away in September 2013. I didn't know you knew him.

Just to illustrate his passion for the 914, Tim raced IMSA Cup with a Porsche Cup car for many years, which he could have raced in PCA also, but when PCA racing, he stuck with his 914. As you can see...it was damn fast!
JmuRiz
It was cool to see the battle start after the 914 got temp in his tires.

Evenly matched cars with different power curves, gearing, and grip.
Very cool video.
OllieG
Just love stuff like this…some of us can only dream! Thanks for posting Bob.
Jetsetsurfshop
I dream of racing like that.
first.gif
Rleog
Great video; clearly demonstrates why the 914 chassis is a better platform than the 911. The 911 has more power, evident on the long straights. It's likely that they have similar braking ability but the 914 is able to carry significantly higher velocity into and through the corners, very evident in turns 6 and the carousel.

Fantastic duel of two very good drivers. Thanks for posting.
Dave_Darling
Also tires. The 911 is on DOTs, the 914 on slicks.

--DD
r_towle
My 911 is faster than your 914....
nine11speedster
Great Video, thank you!
naro914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 20 2014, 07:18 PM) *

Doubtful...smile.gif
smokum
Sickness!
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 20 2014, 04:18 PM) *

Does your 911 move under its own power? Then yeah, it is... wink.gif

--DD
jfort
I really enjoyed the video. Thanks for posting. My 2.5L six is so light and quick. Confidence inspiring. My 77 930, while only 400 pounds heavier, seems much more so. Great acceleration at speed but not as quick. As I switch back and forth (I am so very fortunate), I live that race to a lesser extent. Both great cars, but I wouldn't trade my six for anything.
Mike Bellis
My 914 is faster than most of the 911's I've come across. happy11.gif

They don't like that... bootyshake.gif
Wdunster
QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 20 2014, 07:56 AM) *

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 19 2014, 11:11 PM) *

George
Yes it is, and I know that...and for some reason Road Atlanta came out of my fingers when I typed!!
And I'm amazed it took to the 11th post for someone to notice!

QUOTE(Wdunster @ Aug 19 2014, 11:21 PM) *

Bill, I actually didn't know until early this year...just googled something on his car and found an article on it. He passed away in September 2013. I didn't know you knew him.

Just to illustrate his passion for the 914, Tim raced IMSA Cup with a Porsche Cup car for many years, which he could have raced in PCA also, but when PCA racing, he stuck with his 914. As you can see...it was damn fast!

This is a shot that he asked to take. I was working corners the year he came down to Kershaw and lapped the factory cup cars! He noticed ugly parked at the turn 14 flag stand and approached me. He was a great guy.
Racing916
I've never had a chance to race against Tim but always admired his car and driver skills. This year at the Watkins Glen club race I had a chance to race against Mark White who made this video. Man that car was fast and Tim was often even faster. Two great cars and a epic race. Good speed!

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.