Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking of doing this...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
My black car has CRAP black paint on it. I'm thinking of sanding it for the "primer" look on all those hot rods/rat rods and then putting race stickers on it. This is just my daily driver/beater so I don't want to put a bunch of money into paint and such. So I'm willing to get crazy. IPB Image

What'cha think?
r_towle
just red pinstripping
dlo914
do the whole jagermeister scheme seen on this post.
Mueller
rice IPB Image
Joe Bob
Why not....Frankenstealth has a custom rattle can flat paint job....gives it a "Deaathcar" look....there was a guy (recent write up in Excellence) that did a 930 turbo in flat black and had a shiny black PORSCHE side script....looked good.
ArtechnikA
so - kind of like a calling card for your business ?
you might want to re-think this plan...

OTOH - as always - it's your car - do what you want ...
bondo
I kinda like the satin black look, but without stickers.. kinda like the car from Blade.

IPB Image
eeyore
Stickers, yes.

Sanding, rattlecan no. Too much work for the same net result.

Unless you go Andy Warhol, a la BMW M1.

If I went to the effort of sanding, or rattle-canning, I'd shoot a layer of clear with silver or purple pearl in it.
Joe Bob
If ya watch the old Green Hornet series, they did Kato's ride in flat too. Called it the Black Beauty... real original....

BTW...it was a 1966 Chrysler Crown Imperial....and was painted flat because it glared too much off the lights on TV...
ppickerell
Sticker choice would be critical to this approach.........We should make 2 lists, acceptable and non-acceptable stickers.
Brando
oh what the hell, might as well go chrome!
nebreitling
honestly dude, i don't think that the post-apocalyptic street-rat look and the boy-racer look would go very well together.
McMark
I wasn't sure about the stickers since I don't really race anything it's kind of a poser move. Might do flat black with a silver stripe.

This car is definitely not a calling card for my business. Nobody could mistake that. Next month I'll have my garage back so I can start ripping into my Aubergine car. That one will be the calling card. IPB Image
Trekkor
Racing stripes and stickers.

I only put stickers on my rear window of brands I actually use IPB Image

What stickers do you like?

KT
McMark
I actually use those brand. Including the Jager! IPB Image
Hammy
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 24 2005, 08:03 PM)
Might do flat black with a silver stripe.

Stripes are cool IPB Image IPB Image
crash914
IPB Image I thought you didn't paint??? IPB Image
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (mikez @ Jan 24 2005, 02:47 PM)
If ya watch the old Green Hornet series, they did Kato's ride in flat too. Called it the Black Beauty...

At least for me the "Black Beauty" factor is part of the appeal of the new 300's.

I'm not a sticker guy, and if you aren't a racer I'd think it'd be a major poser move, but that's just me. I'm sure Mikey can give you better poser guidelines.
Root_Werks
A satin black could be cool, but I would still use a prof grade paint. No rattle can stuff. At that point, I would flare it, satin black flared 914 would look pretty mean. IPB Image
roundboy914
this is the exact problem that i am dealing with. Crappy, original black paint, needs some body work, and mostly a track car. Currently have decls and stickers covering the really bad patches, but the rust on the rear quarter needs to be taken care of. so, i'm looking at a $5,000 bill for bodywork and paint, on a car that is worth, at best, $8,000. Plus the other $6,000 in engine, trans work, then tires and wheels. I know that you never get out what you put in, but come on. So the flat black paint, does that equal less bodywork (body filler, sanding coats, etc.)?
McMark
QUOTE (roundboy914 @ Jan 25 2005, 06:38 AM)
So the flat black paint, does that equal less bodywork (body filler, sanding coats, etc.)?

Not really. Painting glossy black takes 100% body work to look good. Other colors can get away with less, I would guess flat black would be like painting other colors. But the panels still need to be flat to look good.
Sammy
No stickers, flat black is not too objectionable if done right.

IMO the only time that stickers are appropriate (non-poser) is if you are racing and there is monetary incentive to display the stickers.

To put them on just for appearance would be right up there with the fake turbo noise maker.
The exception to that would be if you were building a replica or a tribute to an historic race car and the stickers were necessary to maintain period-correctness.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Sammy @ Jan 25 2005, 08:32 AM)
No stickers, flat black is not too objectionable if done right.

IMO the only time that stickers are appropriate (non-poser) is if you are racing and there is monetary incentive to display the stickers.

To put them on just for appearance would be right up there with the fake turbo noise maker.
The exception to that would be if you were building a replica or a tribute to an historic race car and the stickers were necessary to maintain period-correctness.

Ya bought my car with white dots (both doors and both trunk lids) SCCA and Koni stickers too. P.O. said "easily removable" well not really so I left them on and started racing. IPB Image Can't hide my car from nobody including the cops.

Plan on fiberglass doors skins and replacing the trunk lids with something. so the dots may not go back on.
morph
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jan 24 2005, 08:36 PM)
Racing stripes and stickers.

I only put stickers on my rear window of brands I actually use IPB Image

What stickers do you like?

KT

IPB Image
if the car has em post em
TravisNeff
Are you going to switch the stickers to all the burger joints you can find?
McMark
That would be sweet. Maybe I'll sand it down and bring some paint pens to WCC and people can sign it. IPB Image
scotty b
My 2 cents= flat black with offset racing stripes front to back. Outer two stripes being thin with a thick center stripe. Right in front of the driver. Color for stripes...white or red???
McMark
What I'd really love to do it some MAJORLY 70's paint scheme, but then we're talking $. I'm trying not to spend any money on this car so I can put all my resources into my Aubergine car.
McMark
I could do this on the cheap:
jd74914
I don't care for that one. I like the single racing dtripe down the middle in front of the driver
sanman
IPB Image noooooooo
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 25 2005, 01:25 PM)

starsky and hutch style? IPB Image
bondo
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 25 2005, 01:25 PM)

To do that the car has to be white and the stripe has to be three shades of brown. IPB Image Don't forget to hang a disco ball from the rearview mirror. IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.