Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Fluid Cleaner -what to use?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
Just discovered my brake fluid reservoir cap is leaking. It's been at least 6 months since I looked at it. The holding clamp has serious rust. The paint below is pockmarked with surface rust spots.

What can I use to neutralize the brake fluid? After a good cleaning I'll put up a picture. Hoping there's nothing too far down under the gas tank. The trail of bad paint movrs towards the driver firewall.
bdstone914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Aug 20 2014, 07:24 AM) *

Just discovered my brake fluid reservoir cap is leaking. It's been at least 6 months since I looked at it. The holding clamp has serious rust. The paint below is pockmarked with surface rust spots.

What can I use to neutralize the brake fluid? After a good cleaning I'll put up a picture. Hoping there's nothing too far down under the gas tank. The trail of bad paint movrs towards the driver firewall.

Most water based detergents should work.
I may gave a good reservoir clamp.
Bruce
bandjoey
Ok. Let me know. So just a soapy water flush should work??
Dave_Darling
Actually, you can even leave out the soap. Brake fluid absorbs water--and enough water will neutralize it and wash it away. The soap will help clean out any oils and some other dirt, though.

You might want to look into a rust converter after you clean it up. Bare metal rusts, and rust will spread...

--DD
76-914
agree.gif This is why 2 boiling points are listed for each fluid, e.g. Dot 3,4 5 and on.
bandjoey
Thanks. I'll spot sand and use some rust converter where I can't reach. Bought a new cap today.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.