Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Caliper Installation issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrrhdmust
I started restoring the car about 2 years ago, the normal rust issues. Now I am starting to build it back up. I got new brake calipers from Advance or Autozone for the front and had Eric Shea rebuild the rear calipers.

I have the passenger side front caliper installed, but I can't for the life of me get the front drivers side caliper to bolt up. It is a new rotor, and I am trying to bolt it up with out the pads installed.

Any thoughts??

I tried a quick search, but I didn't see anything.
Cap'n Krusty
Wrong caliper, or you have mismatched strut assemblies. The former is one of the "features" of shopping at large auto parts chains, the latter is a downside of buying a car from a long string of DAPOs.

The Cap'n
ThePaintedMan
agree.gif

Did you already trade in the old calipers for cores so you could compare? It is possible the PO had mismatched struts on there.... but having worked at Autozone, I would bet that some numbskull gave you the wrong caliper.
stugray
Are the bolt holes not aligning, or is the caliper hitting the rotor?
Bob L.
Could also be the wrong rotor. Early Vs. late, The offset is different.
stugray
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Aug 20 2014, 11:45 AM) *

BTDT - I just replaced the rotors on my EARLY car, just to find the PO had replaced the struts with LATE.

So the rotors didnt fit. You can visually tell the difference from the hub.
One is raised and the other is not. Cant remember which is which, but i can look when I get home.
Bob L.
QUOTE(stugray @ Aug 20 2014, 11:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Bob L. @ Aug 20 2014, 11:45 AM) *

BTDT - I just replaced the rotors on my EARLY car, just to find the PO had replaced the struts with LATE.

So the rotors didnt fit. You can visually tell the difference from the hub.
One is raised and the other is not. Cant remember which is which, but i can look when I get home.

I ordered the wrong ones. I think it was my first 914 mistake. There have been others!
jrrhdmust
The bolt holes are really close. I did already trade in the old ones, hmmmm

I replaced both struts and both rotors...which is why I cma confused especially since one side bolted up....
Cap'n Krusty
My next step would be to try the caliper that doesn't fit on the side you've already bolted up. Then try the caliper you know fits on the other side.

The Cap'n
jrrhdmust
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 20 2014, 11:14 AM) *

My next step would be to try the caliper that doesn't fit on the side you've already bolted up. Then try the caliper you know fits on the other side.

The Cap'n

Thanks Cap'n that is exactly what I was thinking.....
jrrhdmust
So I looked at everying last night. It seems when the caliper itself was put together, the over tighned the inside bolts or didn't tighten the outside bolts, so that the caliper squeezes in. I haven't put a caliper on it to see how bad, but I think that is the issue.
mepstein
I would return it and get calipers from PMB. What could be more important than your front brakes?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 21 2014, 07:34 AM) *

I would return it and get calipers from PMB. What could be more important than your front brakes?

My thinking, exactly!

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.