Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parts suppliers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
If I may interject a bit. unsure.gif

I keep seeing posts about how hard it is to reach some of the parts providers, and most if not all of the posters get huffy and pissed off that the supplier isn't right there when they need to get hold of them. I deal with several people on many forums that provide high quality aftermarket parts in their SPARE TIME, and I think this needs to be pointed out / reiterated.

A lot of the people providing these pieces do this in their garages or rented work space in their spare time. They have normal 9-5 jobs, families, family issues etc, thus they are not solely dedicated to the parts they provide. The buyers need to keep this in mind, and remind themselves that the suppliers at any moment can say " fuck this, I'm tired of trying to help other out " and quit making the pieces, Then where are you ? Is it too much to ask for a little and understanding and respect for the guys that are going out of their way, and putting their life in disarray to provide a product for you ? confused24.gif

Just because our society demands immediate gratification, doesn't mean you're always going to get it. These vendors have jobs and family that come before your project car. IMHO if your car is such an emergency you have to have the stuff right here, right now....... go buy a Honduh blink.gif

Rant over, flame suit on smile.gif
bandjoey
I agree with you and (not "but") people entering a group buy also have reasonable expectations for delivery. Sometime we read into the buy description what we want to hear on delivery times. It will help for a clear communication of sellers timing and frequent updates. Few items have gone on for several months and that's an exception

The rubber man and all of our vendors I recommend first. So when they offer something I ask they simply update us on a regular basis. That should keep us at bay and happy. If Mikey 914 starts to selling his own brand of rubbers just remember that 914 owners will need XXXXL to match our egos.

piratenanner.gif
Mikey914
Scotty,
I appreciate your understanding. On the other side, I do understand that when I take money for something, people need to get their parts. Some items that are stocked are easy. Other items (like visors), are more complicated as the require a system to receive cores, assign them a sequence, and verify payment to ship. It's not as easy as you would think.

I know there are others that are out there too, I have bought a few other group buys and understand that it may be awhile before I see something, but I support the efforts of others that are doing this, and even stepped up to help keep some of these going. The fog light gaskets, were done by another member, and he found it a hassle to send them out with his day to day other responsibilities. I bout his tooling, and continue to provide them.

Yes, my operation is becoming a business, and I have hired to be able to staff it. It's amazing how much time you can put into doing these projects, and what it takes to run as a business. It's definitely not a way to get rich (at least in my model), more of a way to get my hobby to cover some of the things I want to do.

I applaud those that want to make stuff we can all use, and yes, sometimes the process gets drawn out, but I will support them.
IanS
I have the opposite problem, I have boxes of parts individuals or suppliers made that are waiting for me to get off my ass and get the car to a point where I can install all of this scheisse.

The amount of one-off custom or reproduction stuff one can buy for these is astounding and one of the reasons I bought a 914! I am envious of people who are ready to immediately use what they buy for their cars...remember, it could always be worse.
r_towle
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 20 2014, 03:12 PM) *

I keep seeing posts about how hard it is to reach some of the parts providers, and most if not all of the posters get huffy and pissed off that the supplier isn't right there when they need to get hold of them. I deal with several people on many forums that provide high quality aftermarket parts in their SPARE TIME, and I think this needs to be pointed out / reiterated.

A lot of the people providing these pieces do this in their garages or rented work space in their spare time. They have normal 9-5 jobs, families, family issues etc, thus they are not solely dedicated to the parts they provide. The buyers need to keep this in mind, and remind themselves that the suppliers at any moment can say " fuck this, I'm tired of trying to help other out " and quit making the pieces, Then where are you ? Is it too much to ask for a little and understanding and respect for the guys that are going out of their way, and putting their life in disarray to provide a product for you ? confused24.gif

Just because our society demands immediate gratification, doesn't mean you're always going to get it. These vendors have jobs and family that come before your project car. IMHO if your car is such an emergency you have to have the stuff right here, right now....... go buy a Honduh blink.gif

Someone call and piss on your parade today? piratenanner.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 20 2014, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 20 2014, 03:12 PM) *

Someone call and piss on your parade today? piratenanner.gif

No Ricardo, I actually had a very good day. I also am not doing this in my spare time, so my statement doesn't apply to me. I'm just getting tired of seeing people who are busting their ass after hours to provide products no one else is, being called out for not being Johnny on the spot all the time confused24.gif It's not just Mark I have seen people get on lately, and it's not just this forum I have seen this happen on.
r_towle
Just missed this place for a week and one of the most tolerant paint sniffers I know is getting upset.....

Get a beer.
greenie
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 20 2014, 10:12 AM) *

agree.gif

These cars are now antiques, a little patience with the people that do their best to support them goes a long way.

If it were me in the recent case I would have said "here's your cores back" I'm sorry I could not perform as promised and as I truly desired, please find another vendor that may satisfy your every fuching need want!

Something about this really got me upset....
phillstek
My recent experience with a couple vendors here has been mixed. Customers have a right to expect delivery in a timely manner and if the vendor can't deliver immediately then they need to inform the customer accordingly. Living on the other side of the world doesn't help and only adds to the anxiety. A simple communication is all it takes.

My experience relates specifically to the post purchase process. Certain documentation is required by law by both the country of export and the country of import before the goods can be shipped.

When a vendor accepts the order and takes payment for that order and then flat out refuses to complete the required documents to complete the transaction because of some imagined possible audit process, it is not very helpful. Rather than fill out a form they suggested that the goods should be returned. Hopefully I won't ever need to use them again.

If you can't comply then you need to re consider why your in business, I don't care if it's a hobby or a multi national you're running, paperwork is part and parcel of any business and should be done accordingly.

I won't name names because they know who they are.

On the the other hand, another vendor here has been exceptional, going way above and beyond. Nothing was too much trouble for him and I'm eternally grateful. Thanks Bruce, you're a legend and a gentleman.

Black22
I do NOT agree with greenie.

Yes, some things on these cars take time. As much as I respect everyone's opinion on this forum...did we really need a separate thread on this?

If it would have taken 3 months to rebuild the stack for my tranny, so be it. (It was totally worth the rebuild and did not take anywhere near that time) aktion035.gif

If it took 6 months for my car to get painted because the painter was a jackass and I had to take him to court to even get my car back (and that did happen), so be it. It's not my daily driver.

We are talking about our hobby...our cars. As much as we love them, let's get real. This is the definition of 1st world problems.

You know what really gets me upset?

My friend that gets diagnosed with cancer. My other friend who dies in a freak accident. My wife's friends husband who goes off the deep end on a meth binge and leaves his wife and kids. Real shit! Not a thread where someone's joke was taken the wrong way, and everyone has to weigh in on it with negative comments.

We're all different and yet we meet her for one common interest. (To start)

For fuchs sake people! mad.gif
greenie
QUOTE(Black22 @ Aug 20 2014, 07:47 PM) *

Yes, some things on these cars take time. As much as I respect everyone's opinion on this forum...did we really need a separate thread on this Dr. Evil?

If it would have taken you 3 months to rebuild the stack for my tranny, so be it. (It was totally worth the rebuild and did not take anywhere near that time BTW so thank you!) aktion035.gif

If it took 6 months for my car to get painted because the painter was a jackass and I had to take him to court to even get my car back (and that did happen), so be it. It's not my daily driver.

We are talking about our hobby...our cars. As much as we love them, let's get real. This is the definition of 1st world problems.

My friend that gets diagnosed with cancer. My other friend who dies in a freak accident. My wife's friends husband who goes off the deep end on a meth binge and leaves his wife and kids. Real shit! Not a thread where someone's joke was taken the wrong way, and everyone has to weigh in on it with negative comments.

I'm not sure where the disagreement is?

It is exactly a first world problem.

Someone is disappointed that they cannot get the sun visors recovered on their recently purchased hobby car, so they now must suffer the sun in their eyes.

Give me a break.

Mikey has a sideline business and by all accounts he has performed a service to the 914 community. He will do better with his customer service I'm sure.

A whiner complaining about not getting a phone call back immediately is definitely a first world problem.

messix
QUOTE(greenie @ Aug 20 2014, 10:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Black22 @ Aug 20 2014, 07:47 PM) *

Yes, some things on these cars take time. As much as I respect everyone's opinion on this forum...did we really need a separate thread on this Dr. Evil?

If it would have taken you 3 months to rebuild the stack for my tranny, so be it. (It was totally worth the rebuild and did not take anywhere near that time BTW so thank you!) aktion035.gif

I'm not sure where the disagreement is?

It is exactly a first world problem.

Someone is disappointed that they cannot get the sun visors recovered on their recently purchased hobby car, so they now must suffer the sun in their eyes.

Give me a break.

Mikey has a sideline business and by all accounts he has performed a service to the 914 community. He will do better with his customer service I'm sure.

A whiner complaining about not getting a phone call back immediately is definitely a first world problem.

go pour a scotch and dream about coug football shades.gif
Cuda911
Guys, it is obvious that you are referring to my thread.

I wasn't whining about sun in my eyes, that was a comment to make light of things (Ha, no pun intended!). After over two months, I simply wanted an update of when my visors would be done. That's all.

As of today, I even ordered more parts from him. He has a great business, and helps us all out. Never met him, but many have said he's a great guy, and I truly believe that. But, that doesn't preclude me from requesting a status update.

As mentioned in my last thread, I'm used to Rennlist, where sarcastic (yes, sometimes even crass) humor is the general tone (well, not if you go into the 991 forum.... those guys have no sense of humor at all).

I will be sure to insert multiple emoticons in future posts so that there is no confusion.

Anyway, I really enjoy being a member of 914world, but be prepared that I will not always be "politically correct".

OK, carry on...

cheer.gif av-943.gif poke.gif smilie_pokal.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif

messix
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Aug 20 2014, 10:51 PM) *

I wasn't whining about sun in my eyes, that was a comment to make light of things (Ha, no pun intended!). After over two months, I simply wanted an update of when my visors would be done. That's all.

As of today, I even ordered more parts from him. He has a great business, and helps us all out. Never met him, but many have said he's a great guy, and I truly believe that. But, that doesn't preclude me from requesting a status update.

As mentioned in my last thread, I'm used to Rennlist, where sarcastic (yes, sometimes even crass) humor is the general tone (well, not if you go into the 991 forum.... those guys have no sense of humor at all).

I will be sure to insert multiple emoticons in future posts so that there is no confusion.

Anyway, I really enjoy being a member of 914world, but be prepared that I will not always be "politically correct".

OK, carry on...

just wait till you meet Rand....... lol-2.gif headbang.gif stirthepot.gif slap.gif shades.gif screwy.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Aug 20 2014, 09:51 PM) *

OK, carry on...

As I stated earlier. Yours was the most recent here, but was only one of many I see on several forums. FWIW there have been a couple different ones on this forum in the last 2 weeks I noticed
Black22
My apologies. I mentioned Dr. Evil. Not sure why. beer3.gif Sorry Doc! sad.gif pray.gif

I meant Scotty B, who started this thread.

Greenie, I disagreed with your attitude of returning someone's parts and telling them to go elsewhere for their every fuching want. That's a lame attitude considering he was only asking for an update and if anyone had heard from Mark, in a humorous way IMHO.

Then to say that something about that got you upset. Why? Are they your visors? Is it your money that was spent? Are you the vendor? No, No and No. So what's it to you?

A simple response, which was given by myself and others, that Mark is a stand up guy/ vendor and be patient he will get back to you would have sufficed. The fact that we need a separate thread discussing this and other vendors is a little bit ridiculous IMO.

My overall point is the guy was trying to be funny while asking for an update and within the first four posts he was told " WTF.gif is wrong with you" and "don't be a dick". He said he tried to call, sent emails and PM's and got no response. Pretty valid reason for a thread asking if anyone's heard from him. He didn't deserve the treatment he got based on that because of a difference in funny bone sensitivity.

I think the two that issued those posts owe him an apology. Otherwise we should be asking them WTF.gif their problem is and for them not be dicks next time.
Black22
Double post.
cary
go pour a scotch and dream about coug football shades.gif

coug football ............ hmmm
How many scotch's ????
greenie
QUOTE(Black22 @ Aug 21 2014, 04:41 PM) *

My apologies. I mentioned Dr. Evil. Not sure why. beer3.gif Sorry Doc! sad.gif pray.gif

I meant Scotty B, who started this thread.

Greenie, I disagreed with your attitude of returning someone's parts and telling them to go elsewhere for their every fuching want. That's a lame attitude considering he was only asking for an update and if anyone had heard from Mark, in a humorous way IMHO.

Then to say that something about that got you upset. Why? Are they your visors? Is it your money that was spent? Are you the vendor? No, No and No. So what's it to you?

A simple response, which was given by myself and others, that Mark is a stand up guy/ vendor and be patient he will get back to you would have sufficed. The fact that we need a separate thread discussing this and other vendors is a little bit ridiculous IMO.

My overall point is the guy was trying to be funny while asking for an update and within the first four posts he was told " WTF.gif is wrong with you" and "don't be a dick". He said he tried to call, sent emails and PM's and got no response. Pretty valid reason for a thread asking if anyone's heard from him. He didn't deserve the treatment he got based on that because of a difference in funny bone sensitivity.

I think the two that issued those posts owe him an apology. Otherwise we should be asking them WTF.gif their problem is and for them not be dicks next time.

So this may be the longest and most rambling explanation I’ve ever typed….

What got me upset was probably the title of the thread coming on the heels of the wiring harness thread.(Bowlsby). I’m thinking why are these guys subjecting themselves to this?

I know times are changing with the 914 community, the cars are becoming more sought after and guys that wouldn’t be interested are now buying.

I’ve loved the DIY nature of the community, the unbelievably talented people I’ve met through this forum, guys that live in the NW plus great people from all over the country. The endless hours of work money and craftsmanship put into these cars by each owner in addition to helping out others has been inspiring to me.

I guess my patience must be wearing a little thin for some of the petty stuff with items that people simply buy. The public bitching must have hit a raw nerve, I’m getting old and cranky.

We’ve attended WCR and Rambles (hosted 2008) all over the west coast and had a total blast every single time! Always with a group of guys making the time and spending the money for the same exact reasons to hang out with people that love the cars and share the same interest.

Nord a great guy passed away last week, the turnout for his service and get together was really special. All that attended felt the same, we are lucky to have this community of 914 people that draw us together and make us more human and connected.

I reacted to what I thought was an unwarranted public criticism, my opinion is not shared my many and I can respect that. I don't believe an apology is in order.
Cuda911
Apology accepted, greenie, thanks! grouphug.gif
Jake Raby
The buyers need to keep this in mind, and remind themselves that the suppliers at any moment can say " fuck this, I'm tired of trying to help other out " and quit making the pieces,

Yep. Thats what I did, more or less.. Sold the parts side to LN and gave Charles the headaches.

Feels so good to hit the "forward" button when I receive an email from someone wanting anything other than a complete engine.
Cuda911
Speaking of buyers... Jake, is there any way to get on an email list or something for your book? I really want a copy as soon as it's available.

Thanks!
Black22
QUOTE(greenie @ Aug 21 2014, 10:18 PM) *

I guess my patience must be wearing a little thin for some of the petty stuff with items that people simply buy. The public bitching must have hit a raw nerve, I’m getting old and cranky.

On this point I DOUBLE agree.gif agree.gif !!!

Plus I don't think YOU owe anyone an apology.

beerchug.gif greenie

Jake Raby
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Aug 21 2014, 10:13 PM) *

Speaking of buyers... Jake, is there any way to get on an email list or something for your book? I really want a copy as soon as it's available.

Thanks!

I'm not going to be selling them… They will be distributed by Porsche parts suppliers, first and then after a year or so I'll give it to Amazon. I am pretty much done selling anything to anyone unless they want a complete engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.