Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Houndstooth is expensive!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
matthepcat
I contacted Autos International today, and they charge $325/ yard for hounds-tooth!

The rep suggested I buy two yards to recover stock 914 seats.

Now maybe I am naive but you can almost buy a new seat in that price range.

Is this just the price of entry with anything vintage Porsche that could be considered a restoration material?

Any other known sources of this style material?

Rant over. type.gif

Matt
dlkawashima
There are all kinds of different houndstooth fabrics out there. If you're not a stickler for authenticity, I'm sure you can find something cheaper, but I would be concerned about durability with a cheaper fabric. There was another company in San Diego with an excellent reputation ... what was it ... Autobahn Interiors?

Otherwise ...

http://www.lakewell.com/en/general/fabrics...dstooth-fabrics
shuie
If you have to have the correct material then Autos International is the way to go.

Autos did my seats. I asked them to use some material I bought 10yrs ago before the correct wool was available anywhere. The pattern is close, but its actually for a GM car. This stuff is more like $30/yd. 1-2 yards is more than enough to do the centers. It's an alternative, at least. Nothing is 'correct' on my car, so this was fine for me.

http://www.smsautofabrics.com

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
rick 918-S
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Aug 21 2014, 03:31 PM) *

I contacted Autos International today, and they charge $325/ yard for hounds-tooth!

Is this just the price of entry with anything vintage Porsche that could be considered a restoration material?

Rant over. type.gif

Matt

Yep, My Pasha was 325 a meter X 2 plus shipping from the UK. style points cost. confused24.gif dry.gif
matthepcat
Looks fantastic.....GM houndstooth is close enough for me!

Matt

QUOTE(shuie @ Aug 21 2014, 03:22 PM) *

If you have to have the correct material then Autos International is the way to go.

Autos did my seats. I asked them to use some material I bought 10yrs ago before the correct wool was available anywhere. The pattern is close, but its actually for a GM car. This stuff is more like $30/yd. 1-2 yards is more than enough to do the centers. It's an alternative, at least. Nothing is 'correct' on my car, so this was fine for me.

http://www.smsautofabrics.com

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

dlkawashima
Hey Matt,

Since you're foregoing authenticity, check out this page from SMS that has a bunch of houndstooth variations. A houndstooth plaid might be interesting in your car.

SMS Auto Fabrics Houndstooth Options

IPB Image
914Sixer
Go to any fabric store. They should have hounds tooth or be able to get some for you.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Aug 21 2014, 12:31 PM) *

Rant over. type.gif

1 yard will take care of 2 std. 914 seats, I just went through this process and needed a little more because of the Scheel. I was very happy with the results.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Matt

matthepcat
Cheers. Thanks for the suggestion and link. I am not 100% clear on the direction for my car yet but loved the look of houndstooth pattern on the fancy 911's at the Werks Reunion in Carmel Valley last week.

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Aug 21 2014, 04:29 PM) *

Hey Matt,

Since you're foregoing authenticity, check out this page from SMS that has a bunch of houndstooth variations. A houndstooth plaid might be interesting in your car.

SMS Auto Fabrics Houndstooth Options

IPB Image

shades.gif shades.gif
matthepcat
Very clean interior! Your dash looks brand new.

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Aug 21 2014, 04:49 PM) *

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Aug 21 2014, 12:31 PM) *

Rant over. type.gif

1 yard will take care of 2 std. 914 seats, I just went through this process and needed a little more because of the Scheel. I was very happy with the results.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Matt

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.