Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I remove the rear view mirror base ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche Rescue
Usually the problem is making the damn thing stay on. Here is the situation. PO (not me honest, but I am capable of it) mounted the mirror base to the windshield upside down. I need to remove it and reinstall. He did a fine job. I can't even get a razor blade between it and the glass. Best adhesive job I've seen (naturally!). Any suggestions appreciated.
scotty b
Fingernail polish remover? It seems to work on everything else! IPB Image
Ray Warren
Don't pull on it too hard.
I did and it cost me a new windshield.
scotty b
QUOTE (Ray Warren @ Jan 24 2005, 05:50 PM)

IPB Image All I can say is WOW IPB Image IPB Image
Martin Baker
How is it attached? Original doubled sided tape pad, or super glue? Heat gun on a low setting, with a razor blade, you just do not want to use the glass for leverage in any way. You won't have to worry about the mount if you break the glass....
Ray Warren
QUOTE (scotty b @ Jan 24 2005, 08:52 PM)

Yup
I read a bunch of posts about how they just fall off
so I gave it a couple of good tugs and it came off with
a big chunck of glass.
Seagrave
If your car is in the garage (and not too cold), a hair dryer and slight pressure will do it. I've never broken a windshield...but stranger things have happened.
scotty b
QUOTE (Ray Warren @ Jan 24 2005, 06:04 PM)
QUOTE (scotty b @ Jan 24 2005, 08:52 PM)

Yup
I read a bunch of posts about how they just fall off
so I gave it a couple of good tugs and it came off with
a big chunck of glass.

IPB Image MAYBE you shouldn't be tugging on it in the car IPB Image Bathroom seems a little more appropriate...and discrete IPB Image
aircooledboy
That is a tough one. If it is on there good and proper like you describe, it is almost certainly attached with legit rear view mirror glue. With the very small clearance between the metal and the glass, solvents won't penetrate far enough to help. In the glass shop, we would remove them by pouring alcohol on them and lighting it. It gets hot enough that you can then twist (not pull) the tab off with channel locks. Problem for you is that is best done while the windshield is laying flat on the glass rack. I did remove a few over the years by carefully doing the same thing while the glass was installed, but it ain't easy. You have to be really careful not to melt anything above the glass. IPB Image

I saw other guys use any oxy/acet torch with a very hot flame and a quick touch, but the risks are about the same, and if you linger too long with the flame, you can melt the laminate sheet in the windshield.

Sorry dude, no easy answer. IPB Image
scruz914
Usually they are glued on with a special rear view mirror adhesive. (Well probably not special for rear view mirrors, but a special adhesive anyway.) You can buy it at your FLAPS. There may be a solvent for removing them.
scotty b
The other concern with using heat, is that being in Oregon, it is cold right now, and we all know cold glass and heat don't mix well! IPB Image
drgchapman
I like the hairdryer idea. Razor blade for the release. Harmon Glass, here in Beaverton has new clear Windshields for ~$200.00. We know how to take it from there...........
Only other option I can think of is to cut and fit, then much glue. Then you are the PO form hell. IPB Image

Gary
Ray Warren
MAYBE you shouldn't be tugging on it in the car IPB Image Bathroom seems a little more appropriate...and discrete IPB Image

I had a feeling that someone would say something about that. IPB Image
aircooledboy
QUOTE (scotty b @ Jan 24 2005, 08:16 PM)
The other concern with using heat, is that being in Oregon, it is cold right now, and we all know cold glass and heat don't mix well! IPB Image

A very good point. That is why the alcohol is the best choice. The heat radiates up, and quickly. Heats up the tab & the glue only. Absolutely best done while the glass is out. Unfortunately, not really an option here. A hair dryer ain't gonna get it though. Average hair dryer gets to be about 90-100' tops, windshield gets to 150' easy on a hot sunny day. If 100' would do it, we would all lose our mirrors every summer.

The other alternative is just use it as is. If I recall correctly, the later mirrors had a ball joint at the base. Put it on, and rotate 180'. Ain't prefect, but it beats pulling the glass, or worse.
scotty b
IPB Image Yeah but I've got a lot of respect (and fear) for a guy that can ruin a windshield like that!! IPB Image Especially if you knocked a chunk of glass out IPB Image Your wife must live in constant fear IPB Image
MarkV
Let a glass shop do it. They probably have a special solvent. Can't cost much.
Ray Warren
QUOTE (MarkV @ Jan 24 2005, 09:35 PM)

IPB Image
They must do it all day every day.
New windshields don't come with new mirrors.
markb
QUOTE (MarkV @ Jan 24 2005, 06:35 PM)

IPB Image
aircooledboy
QUOTE (Ray Warren @ Jan 24 2005, 08:38 PM)
QUOTE (MarkV @ Jan 24 2005, 09:35 PM)

IPB Image
They must do it all day every day.
New windshields don't come with new mirrors.

I was an auto glass installer for a long time. It was quite a while back, and we had solvents that would melt anything (I'm sure several were comically carcinogenic) , but we had no solvent for mirror adhesive back then. As I said, there is no clearance, so a solvent won't get in there. That's the difference between a good bond to glass and a bad one. The thinner the glue, the better the bond. I don't think that has changed. That's why we used the alcohol method.

New windshields actually do come with the tab attached 99% of the time. Ocassionally you would have to glue one on a new install, but if you F'ed it up, you poured alcohol on it, lit it, twisted it off, and did it again. IPB Image I knew 50 guys at 20 different shops in the area, and we all did it the same way.

I still talk to my old buds at the shop every now and then. I can call them tomorrow and see if they have developed a better answer in the last 15 years or so.
Porsche Rescue
Sounds like I'm in deep. I'll wait to hear what Chris learns. Suspect I will try a shop first. Windshield and outer trim look new and I'd hate to lose it. Thanks to all.
Jenny
QUOTE (aircooledboy @ Jan 24 2005, 06:55 PM)
As I said, there is no clearance, so a solvent won't get in there.

IPB Image

I bought some solvent. Tried using a straw to funnel it down. Got a lot of it on my carpets, all over my hands, and down my arms. I've sorta just lived with not being able to see much in my rear view mirror besides my trunk. IPB Image

Maybe if you saturate a rag with the solvent and wrap it around the base... I dunno IPB Image

Jen
boxstr
Looks like its time to put it on ebay.
CCLINEBAYWIZARD
Porsche Rescue
Buy my 914 and never look back!
DJsRepS
Ha! put some airshocks in the rear and adjust your rearview mirror that way. Or try some super glue remover as the mirror glue seems simular.
aircooledboy
Alrighty,

Talked to my bud Bandy this morning (yes his name is Bandy). Best glass guy I've ever seen. Bad news is nothing has changed. IPB Image Only way to get thosee bastards off is heat. When the customer insists on having it removed, they use a torch most of the time now due to the fact that modern windshields tend to have a steeper rake, making it next to impossible to get the alcohol to safely burn long enough.

BUT, they rarely pull them off because the chance of damaging or breaking the windshield is about 30-40%. Instead what they normally do is just glue a new tab correctly on top of the upside down one. IPB Image You are only raising the base of the mirror about 1/8" higher off the glass, so it is virtually undetectable unless you are looking for it. Plus, the increase in leverage against the metal/glass bond of the upside down tab almost always causes that bond to safely break after a while anyway. So, you solve your immediate problem of needing to mount the mirror, and eventually, the screwed up tab will come off, and you are back to square one. IPB Image
Porsche Rescue
Thanks Chris. Unfortunately the 914 mirror base is kind of a pyramid shape and pretty big. No way to attach anything to it. The recess and threaded hole where the elbow/mirror attach is now at the top instead of the bottom. Suppose I might drill and tap a new hole. Then use glue to keep it from rotating.
Jenny
sorry to hijack (sort of) but if I were in California, where the temp is around 60-ish, can I take a heat gun to the windshield and get the adhesive soft enough to detach? Or is windshield adhesive only removable by fire and/or solvent?

Jen
aircooledboy
Damn. IPB Image

Sorry Jim. I have never seen the old style base removed from the mirror before. I just Ass-u-me-d it was the later style. IPB Image In that case, heat is the only answer. And frankly, with the greater mass of the older base, and thus more heat needed to achieve the result, it seems to me the chances of getting it off w/o damaging the glass or the interior are even worse. IPB Image

That really sux. Sorry bud.
DJsRepS
Super Glue Remover ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.