Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: aftermarket speaker pods
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I found a few posts about buying aftermarket speaker pods. I have been struggling with using the original. Speakers that fit have crappy quality. We are limited in diameter and depth.

Does the 914rubber product give additional depth? I can measure about 2.75 inches from the front of the grill to the heater tube. So I figured the speaker could be 2 to 2.5 inches deep. I believe this is a picture and it shows a nice 6 or 6.5" speaker mounted. Everyone sets up the car differently, so I know everyone does not have heat so the tubes could be gone and the depth is not an issue.

Click to view attachment
I see a heater tube here, but it could be smashed.

Then I found some posts talking about a pod from MORPh something or another. I believe this is one. It looks like it gives plenty of depth. Are they still made? Are they the same, just made by someone else now?

Click to view attachment

Bad angle to see the tube here.
pvollma
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Aug 21 2014, 08:49 PM) *

Does the 914rubber product give additional depth? I can measure about 2.75 inches from the front of the grill to the heater tube. So I figured the speaker could be 2 to 2.5 inches deep. I believe this is a picture and is shows a nice 6 or 6.5" speaker mounted. Everyone sets up the car differently, so I know everyone does not have heat so the tubes could be gone and the depth is not an issue.

While not a direct answer to your question, I'll temporarily hijack your thread to warn anyone reading it that these do not work with the dealer-installed A/C underdash unit -- the passenger side speaker pod cannot be installed. I sent an email to 914rubber to see if they can be returned, but if I don't hear from them soon then I'll have a pair available for sale.

Perhaps this picture might help:

Click to view attachment
bluhun
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Aug 21 2014, 05:49 PM) *

I found a few posts about buying aftermarket speaker pods. I have been struggling with using the original. Speakers that fit have crappy quality. We are limited in diameter and depth.

Does the 914rubber product give additional depth? I can measure about 2.75 inches from the front of the grill to the heater tube. So I figured the speaker could be 2 to 2.5 inches deep. I believe this is a picture and is shows a nice 6 or 6.5" speaker mounted. Everyone sets up the car differently, so I know everyone does not have heat so the tubes could be gone and the depth is not an issue.

Click to view attachment
I see a heater tube here, but it could be smashed.

Then I found some posts talking about a pod from MORPh something or another. I believe this is one. It looks like it gives plenty of depth. Are they still made? Are they the same, just made by someone else now?

Click to view attachment

I do not have dealer-installed AC and used these pods to install 6.5" Focal speakers in my 914. The depth was fine and the fit, perfect.

Bad angle to see the tube here.

Johns914
I bought a set of the speaker pods w/ Blaupunkt speakers in them, many years ago. They look identical to the one pictured. I beleive i got them off ebay. They fit very nice and that Blaupunkt speaker has great sound. I have never had any clearance issues.
Harpo
I believe that the morph and the. 914 rubber are the same. I'm currently using a set with out heater tubes

David
messix
heater tubes clear with the average 6.5 speaker.

to use with a/c just trim off the upper part that encroaches on the a/c.

I have had them for years now.
GeorgeRud
Mikey914 now handles the sales for Morphenspectra. I have these same pods in my conversion car and they sound as good as possible. Never driving with the top up makes any sound from the radio nice, but not as nice as the Weber carbed six behind me!
hblyle
Click to view attachment
I cut the center out of the stock pods and installed the speaker on the outside to get some clearance.
malcolm2
QUOTE(hblyle @ Aug 22 2014, 06:33 PM) *

I cut the center out of the stock pods and installed the speaker on the outside to get some clearance.

I considered that, but the speakers don't come with grills these days. The place I shopped only have some goofy generic 6.5" grill.

With all the particulars for them to fit, I did not want to buy from the web. Even Crutchfield could not give me specifics and most of the brands put them right on the box. blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.