Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: INCREASE OF TIRE RIM/WHEEL SIZE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
R8CERX
Hello Folks!

So, need more meat all around the car--2.7RS engine is way too much power to put down on the existing 205/50-15.

I am certain many of you have come to this point--need your advise in order to not reinvent the wheel (punt intended!) biggrin.gif

Conditions:
1-want to keep existing 914-4 suspension, links, and brakes (actually, front brakes are fitted with BMW calipers; rears are still stock).

2-Planning to add spacers to the wheels in order to gain more space inside fenders (thus need to flare front and rear fenders; for certain rear fenders)

3-Want to keep same size tire all around; so I can rotate them.

OPEN FOR CHANGES:

A-Open to changing springs and shocks--please advise brand and rate of springs/suggestions

B-What size rims/brand or from what car (944 for example) could I get rims to fit 235?
225? what has worked for you? or I should avoid?

C- Can the existing 4 bolt pattern hubs be converted into a 5 lug pattern hub?

D- will add spacers to either 4 or 5 pattern as needed and add screw/bolt INSERTS

E-Should I keep the 4 bolt pattern over the 5 bolt pattern? cheaper rims in 4 configuration? confused24.gif

PS- I will be selling rims and tires once I get the above set up going; anyone has parts to exchange for what I trying to do, I am all ears! blink.gif

Look forward to your inputs!

Regards

R8CER X

first.gif

ned911
What tires are your running? Auto-x DOT rubber?

My first thought is the Fuchs are too narrow for 205/50x15's. Can you borrow someone's 15x6's or 15x7's (I'm not sure 15x7 will fit under stock fenders).

Most 944's run 15x7's either cookie cutters or phone dials. I use the 15x7 cookies on my 911 for race tires with 225/50x15 Kuhmo's but that takes some fender massaging to not have any rub.
mskala
If using race tires note both that they are generally wider than numbers
indicate and also that the manufacturer specifies optimum wheel width range.
Also I hear that limited sizes for 15" are available any more. However, 16"
wheels will generally be heavier. There are a lot of variables for what you're
doing.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(mskala @ Aug 22 2014, 09:10 AM) *

doing.

Too bad you aren't closer (well nobody is close to me). I have 215/60/15 and 245/60/15 on 4 lug wheels (7" and 8"). You could play with them for clearance. They were on a flared car.

I have gone to 5 lug so these are sitting here.

Click to view attachment

crash914
Hmmmm, I might be interested in those..can you pm me the specifics?

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Aug 22 2014, 11:42 AM) *

QUOTE(mskala @ Aug 22 2014, 09:10 AM) *

doing.

Too bad you aren't closer (well nobody is close to me). I have 215/60/15 and 245/60/15 on 4 lug wheels (7" and 8"). You could play with them for clearance. They were on a flared car.

I have gone to 5 lug so these are sitting here.

Click to view attachment

stugray
Kansas_914,

During our parts transaction, I asked you where/how you purchased those, but never got an answer (or I didnt see it).

For vintage racing, we can only go up to 7", so I am VERY interested in finding a set of those.

Let me know if there is a model #, or where you purchased them.

Oh, and you CAN fit 205/50 R15 tires on the stock fuchs, but mine rub a little on the inside rear.
Stu
Kansas 914
QUOTE(stugray @ Aug 22 2014, 10:26 AM) *

Kansas_914,

During our parts transaction, I asked you where/how you purchased those, but never got an answer (or I didnt see it).

For vintage racing, we can only go up to 7", so I am VERY interested in finding a set of those.

Let me know if there is a model #, or where you purchased them.

Oh, and you CAN fit 205/50 R15 tires on the stock fuchs, but mine rub a little on the inside rear.
Stu

Hi Stu - pretty sure I answered but I can't be sure. But they are Cragar 365's - but they don't offer that bolt pattern anymore on their website.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(crash914 @ Aug 22 2014, 10:13 AM) *

Hmmmm, I might be interested in those..can you pm me the specifics?

I have someone here in Colorado that has first right of refusal - they aren't even for sale right now.
stugray
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Aug 22 2014, 10:48 AM) *

Hi Stu - pretty sure I answered but I can't be sure. But they are Cragar 365's - but they don't offer that bolt pattern anymore on their website.

Sorry - Yes you did answer. I was typing up a response question "Where did you buy them", but never sent it I guess.
My son works at discount tire. I'll have him check with the wheel salesman and see if we can find them.

Any chance you know the offset?
Kansas 914
QUOTE(stugray @ Aug 22 2014, 11:18 AM) *

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Aug 22 2014, 10:48 AM) *

Sorry - Yes you did answer. I was typing up a response question "Where did you buy them", but never sent it I guess.
My son works at discount tire. I'll have him check with the wheel salesman and see if we can find them.

Any chance you know the offset?

Hi Stu,

The best I can tell is it is close to 4.5". It is difficult to get an accurate measurement with the tires still on the wheels.

PS: I just saw that Discount Tires is opening here in Durango!

PSS: R8CERX - Sorry for the hijack.
R8CERX
I am using currently 205/50-15 Hoosiers--they did rub inside the fender, so it is correct about them rubbing!!

I currently have HOOSIERS SM7 (spec miata) 40 DOT tread wear racing tires

I do have a set of 5 lug cookie cutters that have a stamp 7Jx15H2 -how wide of a rubber can I put on these babies? can I go to 225? or greater? They were for my original 914-6 that used to use when I raced that baby.

if so, all I need to do is put the wheel spacers, change the 4 lug to 5 lug patter on the hubs and weld the new 5 screw/rods to the hubs? (plus flare rear fenders; front may not be needed to flare?)

anyone can confirm on my assumption above?

confused24.gif
jhadler
QUOTE(R8CERX @ Aug 21 2014, 06:06 PM) *

Hello Folks!

So, need more meat all around the car--2.7RS engine is way too much power to put down on the existing 205/50-15.

I am certain many of you have come to this point--need your advise in order to not reinvent the wheel (punt intended!) biggrin.gif

Conditions:
1-want to keep existing 914-4 suspension, links, and brakes (actually, front brakes are fitted with BMW calipers; rears are still stock).

With a something like a 2.7, it is generally advisable to upgrade your brakes. You -will- find yourself pushing the limits of the stock braking capability. And BMW calipers really may not get you much.

2-Planning to add spacers to the wheels in order to gain more space inside fenders (thus need to flare front and rear fenders; for certain rear fenders)

No spacers, just get wheels with the proper backspacing to begin with.

3-Want to keep same size tire all around; so I can rotate them.

Good idea. Harder to accomplish in practice if you start going really wide.

A-Open to changing springs and shocks--please advise brand and rate of springs/suggestions

More spring front and rear for sure. How much depends on what you plan to do and your own driving style. Lots of info on many threads here for that.

B-What size rims/brand or from what car (944 for example) could I get rims to fit 235?
225? what has worked for you? or I should avoid?

235? That's an odd size. I'd go 225 or 245. As for wheel width? If you're planning on competing, put the 225's on an 8" rim, if not, a 7" rim will do fine. For 245's, add at least an extra inch of rim width, maybe two. You will find more choices if you convert to 5-lug. Pretty much anything in the sizes you will want for the 4-lug pattern will likely be custom. And likely be expensive, unless you get steel.

C- Can the existing 4 bolt pattern hubs be converted into a 5 lug pattern hub?

More info in other threads...

D- will add spacers to either 4 or 5 pattern as needed and add screw/bolt INSERTS

E-Should I keep the 4 bolt pattern over the 5 bolt pattern? cheaper rims in 4 configuration? confused24.gif

See above.

-Josh
mskala
QUOTE(R8CERX @ Aug 22 2014, 01:37 PM) *

I am using currently 205/50-15 Hoosiers--they did rub inside the fender, so it is correct about them rubbing!!

I currently have HOOSIERS SM7 (spec miata) 40 DOT tread wear racing tires

I do have a set of 5 lug cookie cutters that have a stamp 7Jx15H2 -how wide of a rubber can I put on these babies? can I go to 225? or greater? They were for my original 914-6 that used to use when I raced that baby.

if so, all I need to do is put the wheel spacers, change the 4 lug to 5 lug patter on the hubs and weld the new 5 screw/rods to the hubs? (plus flare rear fenders; front may not be needed to flare?)

anyone can confirm on my assumption above?

confused24.gif

If you're already thinking of flares, then in my opinion just do that first. There
is not enough room with stock fenders to significantly increase from the rubber
you already have. The cookie cutters, as with the majority of 15" porsche
wheels, have offset in the wrong direction, which means you can't add spacers
to fix it.
R8CERX
OK

I am getting some great feedback and is helping lots

SO:

If I use the cookie cutter 5 lug rims, we know that the 225/50-15 will work.

Could I push it and put 245/50-15 on the same rims?
(it will save me buying new rims!! piratenanner.gif )

Assuming I can go with the 245/50-15 on the cookie cutter 5 lug wheels, I am not clear if I still need to put the spacers so that the tires don't rub against the inside of fender?

Keep in mind, I will probably keep the existing 914-4 lug bolt hubs and convert them into a 5 lug with threaded bolts (with blue loctite? or welded?).

I will flare as needed to make the above work.

Just trying to make sure I am getting the messages clear--I am not as mechanically inclined as most of you are....but not a bad driver!! driving-girl.gif )

Regarding brakes and suspension--I may first go slow on the above; check it out that is a move in the right direction first and eventually consider all of the 911 brake and suspension work.

Your input is helping me narrow down what I need to do in the coming days

Thank you!

aktion035.gif
mskala
QUOTE(R8CERX @ Aug 22 2014, 04:01 PM) *

OK

I am getting some great feedback and is helping lots

SO:

If I use the cookie cutter 5 lug rims, we know that the 225/50-15 will work.

Could I push it and put 245/50-15 on the same rims?
(it will save me buying new rims!! piratenanner.gif )

Assuming I can go with the 245/50-15 on the cookie cutter 5 lug wheels, I am not clear if I still need to put the spacers so that the tires don't rub against the inside of fender?

Keep in mind, I will probably keep the existing 914-4 lug bolt hubs and convert them into a 5 lug with threaded bolts (with blue loctite? or welded?).

I will flare as needed to make the above work.

Just trying to make sure I am getting the messages clear--I am not as mechanically inclined as most of you are....but not a bad driver!! driving-girl.gif )

Regarding brakes and suspension--I may first go slow on the above; check it out that is a move in the right direction first and eventually consider all of the 911 brake and suspension work.

Your input is helping me narrow down what I need to do in the coming days

Thank you!

aktion035.gif

I couldn't find the rim size requirement for 245/15 hoosier, but bare minimum
for 225/15 was 7". Keep in mind that if you use too big a tire for the rim then
you will not get the performance anyway. Why do all this work with flares,
5-lug conversion, new tires, only to cheap out with whatever wheels you already
have and possibly minimize the performance improvement. Just a data point,
I am using 205/40/16 hoosier on a 7.5" rim.
tomrev
Being able to fit a wider tire on a wheel is not an advantage, unless you like the big rounded sidewall look. The wheel width has to match the tires's cross section, or you'l be driving on the half of the tread that's actually in contact with the pavement. Putting a 245 on a 7 in. wheel is a waste of time/rubber/weight/$$. Contact patch is what you'r after!
Sleepin
Everyone knows you can't put wheels on a 914! They hinder access around the jackstands! happy11.gif
R8CERX
Got it--
Art least I know now to :
1-Keep the 5 lug-cookie cutter wheels and use 245/50-15 and no wider than that

or

2-Go with wider rims (that means now I have cookie cutter rims for sale as well as 4 lug 914 regular wheels for sale --a total of 3 sets of rims (3x4=12!!)).

Thank you all for your advise--it has helped me tremendously to go chase the various ideas and leads.

Regards

R8CERX
brant
For actual performance use you need a wider wheel than a cookie for a 245 tire. Stick to the 225 tires if you use the cookie cutters. They are even ideal to use a 205 tire on that 7 inch rim if you are making these changes for crisp performance

Also the adapter method for a 5 bolt conversion bolt pattern is frowned upon for performance use. Not even legal in some events.
R8CERX
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 23 2014, 06:33 AM) *

For actual performance use you need a wider wheel than a cookie for a 245 tire. Stick to the 225 tires if you use the cookie cutters. They are even ideal to use a 205 tire on that 7 inch rim if you are making these changes for crisp performance

Also the adapter method for a 5 bolt conversion bolt pattern is frowned upon for performance use. Not even legal in some events.

Got it--

225 maximum on cookie cutters

No adapter --are you talking about the spacers? to allow wider rims? not ideal for competition?

jhadler
If you're waiting on different wheels sometime down the road, go no wider than 225's right now. Really.

The only reason to shoehorn really wide tires onto narrow rims is if you're in a competition class that restricts wheel width. Even then, it's a matter of rapidly diminishing returns. As you pinch a tire onto a narrower rim, you will be pulling in the sidewalls under the tread face. This causes the tread face to bow outward, and thus reduces your effective contact patch considerably. You will get FAR better performance from 225's on an 8" rim, than you will with 245's. In addition to the tread face remaining flatter, and in more contact, the sidewalls will be more rigidly supported by the wheel, giving better response. Win win.

"Where the rubber meets the road" may be cliche, but here it's the truth.

-Josh
R8CERX

Thank Josh!

drunk.gif

QUOTE(jhadler @ Aug 25 2014, 01:09 PM) *

If you're waiting on different wheels sometime down the road, go no wider than 225's right now. Really.

The only reason to shoehorn really wide tires onto narrow rims is if you're in a competition class that restricts wheel width. Even then, it's a matter of rapidly diminishing returns. As you pinch a tire onto a narrower rim, you will be pulling in the sidewalls under the tread face. This causes the tread face to bow outward, and thus reduces your effective contact patch considerably. You will get FAR better performance from 225's on an 8" rim, than you will with 245's. In addition to the tread face remaining flatter, and in more contact, the sidewalls will be more rigidly supported by the wheel, giving better response. Win win.

"Where the rubber meets the road" may be cliche, but here it's the truth.

-Josh

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.