Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Balancing tires on a track car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
ThePaintedMan
Well I continue to learn more every day. I was always under the impression that even track cars have their tires balanced. I specifically remember seeing wheel weights on the rims of GT3 Cup cars at Sebring. But apparently a lot of people think it's a waste of time and energy to balance them since the tire moves on the rim in high-G corners, lock ups, etc. What say you, o 914 racing veterans?

-G
Jetsetsurfshop
No veteran here, but heres what i've learned.

My tires do not move at all on my rims. I marked them to check.
weight of car 1987lbs (without driver)
brakes 911m calipers with hawk dtc-70 all around.
HP we think about 150

Now, on my friends vette they just balanced the rims only. The tire moves on the rim for sure. I also have never been in a car that stops that aggressively. barf.gif

Maybe the GT3s are doing like my friend with the vette.
ThePaintedMan
Yeah, that's what I think Shane. I think the speeds (or lack thereof) and both lateral/horizontal G's we're going to hit with the car are far less than what's necessary to spin the tire on the rim.

I'll bring them all with me and we can balance them as a "why not?" Can't hurt.

I also considered that most of those Cup guys were balancing the rim. After a few stints it's probably built up enough rubber to throw that off anyway, but it's still probably a good idea.

Not sure how aggressive those DTCs are, but the graphs that Porterfield shows on the R4-1 pads I'm putting on the car sure look impressive. With just crappy street pads I was braking at the last cone into the hairpin before... I wonder where the braking point will be NOW. blink.gif
ChrisFoley
I doubt your tires will rotate on the rim with less than 200 hp, fairly small brakes, and a narrow body car.
Balance them.
One of the worst feelings is on an outlap with a badly out of balance race tire from rubber picked up on the previous cooldown lap.
It can shake so bad you'd think the car was about to fall apart.
ThePaintedMan
Exactly the person I hoped would chime in smile.gif Thanks Chris!

Though these are 180 TW tires, I don't think they're quite sticky enough to pick up rubber. Now what ends up on the inside of the rim is a different story. Sebring has marbles EVERYWHERE.
carr914
you could go with the Plastic BB balancing method
Mblizzard
Dyna beads? Just ordered some may have a track application if not against the rules. Won't matter if the tire moves.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Aug 22 2014, 11:27 AM) *

Not sure how aggressive those DTCs are, but the graphs that Porterfield shows on the R4-1 pads I'm putting on the car sure look impressive. With just crappy street pads I was braking at the last cone into the hairpin before... I wonder where the braking point will be NOW. blink.gif

You're going to LOVE those R4-1's......best stopping power I've had....
campbellcj
I have always had mine balanced (wheels+tires). The owner of my tire shop is a racer so they take extra care with racers' jobs.
mepstein
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 22 2014, 05:28 PM) *

you could go with the Plastic BB balancing method

Worked well for me. Cheap, easy and leaves the rim clean. I will use it on future wheels.
Matt Romanowski
Balance the tires and rims. Hoosier makes their beads bands a little looser than other companies so they tend to slip more than others, but I don't think you'll have much trouble.

If you have tires that always slip on the rims, then balance just the rim and don't worry about the tire being balance.
brant
adding plastic bb's to the inside of a track car seems like adding extra weight that does not make you faster...

mepstein
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 24 2014, 08:37 PM) *

adding plastic bb's to the inside of a track car seems like adding extra weight that does not make you faster...

for me it was 3oz per wheel. But now I don't have to pay someone to balance the wheels and no lead weights stuck on the rim. I think you can use less weight to balance since the weight is further from center so the balance effect is greater.

Smooth is fast biggrin.gif
naro914
I always balance wheels with tires on them and it makes a HUGE difference IMO. I've thrown a weight (forgot to tape it) and noticed immediately. Can't imagine not balancing them...
stugray
You also have to consider that most of us have some flavor of stock wheels which are old, and usually not perfectly straight/round.

So balancing seems to be a must. Even my "checked for out of round & straight" wheels have some pretty serious weights on them from the balancer.

Besides, both of my sons work at tire shops, so I get it done for free.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.