Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacement 914 fuel lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
BigD9146gt
***UPDATE: Please call GPR for pricing of the fuel lines. The number is 800.321.5432, talk to Dave at Ex 502. I made a bunch of hard line kits, but to find out exactly what you need with the flex line, you need to call GPR and tell Dave exactly what you have (ie; carbs, FI, where is the fuel pump located, etc).

Thanks for the support and comments,

Don Welch.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***Original Message:
Hello everyone,

I’ve been developing a few aftermarket products for the 914’s over the past years. What I’m currently working on are replacement fuel line kits using all Cohline parts ( Porsche OEM). I would like to get feedback to see how much demand there is for this kit. Ballpark price is $200, but I still need to add up my cost on each kit.

The kits will include the fittings to the tank. I have a few extras, but i will have a core charge because the aluminum nut that holds the tube to the tank, which is a M18x1mm (really odd size), i haven't been able to find alone.

Here are the fittings attached to the shortened gas tank fittings-
IPB Image

As for the fittings to the fuel pump and other stock slip fit/hose clamp parts, there are two options. The first, which is probably what i will do for all cases unless asked not to, there are fittings that crimp to the hose like the other threaded fittings, and the other side is just barbed, so you can use a short peice of regular fuel hose with a hose clamp on it and the fuel pump/other fitting slip fit.
Or, i can leave the braided fuel line cut (i tape the end before i cut it to keep the braid from unwinding), so you can hose clamp it directly to the fitting.

I also would like to mention that these kits can very depending on how much "pre" work you want. I can send them in raw form, partially assembled, or fully assembed. Some want more, some want less, and i would like to accomidate to everyones needs.

They're close to being done, I'm waiting for a few more parts from Cohline, but heres a few pics of the lines so far.

Here are some more pics of the finished hard lines. Each kit includes a large (supply) and small (return) line-
IPB Image
IPB Image

The install:

Having the car up on a lift is ideal. With the engine out and right rear wheel removed, this process should only take 2 hours. I recommend that the shifter rod be removed from the firewall section and the speedo cable cover, as they make great pep holes to watch the tube end as you guild it through the tunnel. With the motor in the car, i imagine it would take maybe an hour more. I will be installing this kit on a few other cars, so i will be able to post my results later. If there is enough interest in this kit, i will produce them and make them readily available for purchase form GPR, because I work there. Other companies can purchase these from GPR (if you are loyal to a specific supplier) at a wholesale price. I will still need to talk to the recipient for specifications, and can drop ship.

The existing fuel line holes need to be drilled out with a 3/4" drill to allow the threaded nipples which are pre-welded on to fit.-
IPB Image

Here are both the lines with the pre-installed rubber O ring inplace-
IPB Image

Next, through the access panel at the front of the tunnel, place the ends through the hole-
IPB Image

Another view-
IPB Image

Next, carefully slice the stock front rubber fuel line gromet with a razer blade as shown below. You do not need to slice through the whole gromet, just enough to slide it over the two lines once they are in place-
IPB Image

Apply some lube to the gromet. I used armor-all, but anything slick will work. Then slide the gromet over the two tubes and push into the hole. Here is the final product-
IPB Image

Here are the fuel lines before i had a chance to crimp them. The braiding is a tin coated steel.
IPB Image

I will have two complete kits avaliable and one single line for a carburator kit avaliable. I make every kit to suit each application. I need to know where the fuel pump and filter is located, and if you want the flex lines to be routed other than stock.

IPB Image
scotty b
Very nice! IPB Image I would definitly be interested for future projects, unfortunatly I am doing a couple of H2O cars right now. You should definitly be able to sell these here.Just a thought would to be to put a brief post with 1 pic in the garage directing people here to get better exposure.I know I don't check this section very often.
drgchapman
I have two teeners, both need this upgrade. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Watching a car burn sounds like hell on wheels! No thanks.

Gary
Eric_Shea
Am I the only one who can't see the pics?
Dave_Darling
Nope, not the only one. I'm thinking it's because the Bird board is down right now.

--DD (going back into Deep Lurk Mode)
Eric_Shea
Interested.

Currently looking at a GT conversion where the 914-6 fuel pump is located in the GT location in the front trunk. Weber 40IDA's.

Let me know what the price would be.

Thanks,

Eric
Chris H.
Oh Yeah! I am definitely interested. This is one of the few things that is critical and there haven't been any ready-made kits for it. As soon as you are ready let me know the $$$.
BigD9146gt
Many thanks for the replys!

I'm placing another order with Cohline Monday for more hardlines and fittings. I'm also going to be installing a Rich Johnson mount on a 914-6gt relipca w/3.2 that currently has the quick six bar. Before i install the mount, i figured that the quick six bar resembled the stock 4 bar, and so i'm going to try to install this fuel line kit then. I have my doubts, and this kit may need the engine out to install. But, i've pulled a complete 914 engine/trans in my garage with 2 jacks in 2 hours... Normally it takes 4 hours because its a weekend and theres IPB Image involved.
Chris H.
Don,

Not to rush you, but do you have any idea when you might have these available? A month or so maybe? Just curious.

Thanks,

BigD9146gt
I'm waiting on the last parts to come in from Cohline to finish the 5 sets. Its supposed to be this week, keep checking back with this post, I'll update as soon as i get the parts.

Thanks.
914werke
Don Im very interested in your setup.
BigD9146gt
Alright folks, i have 4 full setups ready.

Just drop me an email or call me at GPR to start getting things in order. I will need to know the year, engine, location of fuel pump if different than stock, type of fuel pump if different than stock, and probably more, so contact me for the specifics.

Bigd9146gt@yahoo.com

or

800.321.5432 Ex 504

I'm still trying the find the old invoices from the hard line cost so i can price accordingly.

Cheers, Don.
Chris H.
What the....? My post disappeared!? Anyway, Don, you must have seen my bump....
BigD9146gt
Chris, yes i saw your post too and wondered why it dissapeared... You also have email. wavey.gif

To all those interested in this kit, an FYI:

The motor needs to be removed as well as the right rear wheel. The car does not need to be up on a lift, but that always helps.

The fuel tank also needs to be removed, but does not need to be empty (but it does make life easier when empty). I recommend that the tank be 1/3 or less full of gas. I will include an extensive install procedure with each kit for mulitiple ways of installation.

Tools needed for installing fuel lines:
-3/4" drill bit and drill
-razor blade or sharp utility knife to cut front rubber fuel line gromet on ~'72 and later cars
-Wrenchs: 14mm, 17mm, 19mm, 22mm
-Screwdriver both phillips and slotted.
Lou W
You got e-mail. Lou

Cost for 74 - 1.8 stock?

cool.gif
c12croft
[B]ASSUMING THIS THREAD TO BE ACTIVE, I FIND THESE REPLACEMENT LINES TO BE A PRUDENT IDEA.
PLEASE ADD TWO SETS FOR ME.
TIM C
BigD9146gt,

Any updates?
JohnM
I am interested. John
BigD9146gt
Hello all,

I apologize that i haven't responed sooner, i've been swamped at work lately.

I have 4 complete kits ready to go. Please call me during my work hours of 8:30am-5pm PST at 800.321.5432 Ex 504 for any further assistance with questions and/or ordering these fuel lines. Because of all the options, and i don't have a website setup yet to list all the options, its easier for me if we speak directly. I can also be reached via email at Don@GPRparts.com.

Thank you, Don.
Howie's 914
Are you still making these? I would be interested in a set. Please let me know know.

Thanks
Hammy
I'll be interested in a set very shortly here too. wink.gif
BuddyV
Don -

I am interested in a set. Please quote for 1972 914, carbs.

All stock locations.

Thanks.

914werke
QUOTE (Howie's 914 @ Sep 8 2005, 06:32 AM)
Are you still making these? I would be interested in a set. Please let me know know.

Thanks

Im ready as well! huh.gif
shoguneagle
You can add me to your list and will buy whenever you are ready. I like the project.
VaccaRabite
I emailed you, but am also posting here.

PLease let me know if you have any more of these, or will be making more.

Zach
cobra94563
Hi, also let me know if more fuel lines are available.
Chris
cf30@sbcglobal.net
jetboy
Are these still being offered?
ChrisFoley
Check with GPR about these.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.