Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeffdon
Here is a pic of my new speedo cable. This is the tranny end. The boot appears to be on the wrong way. Got this from the bird. Any one else have this issue? I am starting to loose faith in these guys.

Click to view attachment

Dr Evil
How is that on the wrong way? It is supposed to slide over the collar that you screw onto the speedo drive confused24.gif
mepstein
its correct. you'll see when you install.
jeffdon
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 23 2014, 02:33 PM) *

its correct. you'll see when you install.

How can it be right? I tried inverting the boot while on the cable, and it looks nothing like the one I just cut off my car. I am pretty sure this got put on wrong at the factory. I see no way of getting it off and re-installing the other way.
Dr Evil
Jeff, I am not following you. You dont take it off. You screw the collar onto the speedo drive and then slide the rubber cuff over the collar. confused24.gif That pic you have is correct. I have no idea what you had, but the pic is correct.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 23 2014, 05:48 PM) *

Jeff, I am not following you. You dont take it off. You screw the collar onto the speedo drive and then slide the rubber cuff over the collar. confused24.gif That pic you have is correct. I have no idea what you had, but the pic is correct.

agree.gif
jeffdon
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 23 2014, 02:48 PM) *

Isn't this a boot that is to go over the tube in the fire wall?
mepstein
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Aug 23 2014, 08:25 PM) *

No. Read above.
jeffdon
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 23 2014, 05:44 PM) *

No. Read above.

Ok, the cable has two boots. On that fits snugly over the end that screws to the speedo. The one in the picture fits well over the angle drive connection, but there is no boot for the tube where the cable goes into the tube in the firewall. That would need to be on the cable already, right?
bluhun
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Aug 23 2014, 07:05 PM) *

No. Read above.

Ok, the cable has two boots. On that fits snugly over the end that screws to the speedo. The one in the picture fits well over the angle drive connection, but there is no boot for the tube where the cable goes into the tube in the firewall. That would need to be on the cable already, right?

I have the same issue. The problem is that the boots on the cable were installed incorrectly at the factory, i.e., the boot that should seal at the firewall is down at the speedo angle drive end and the boot that is supposed to slip over the angle drive is at the end that goes through the firewall. At least that is the problem with my cable.
bluhun

No. Read above.

The cable is supposed to have two boots, one for the speedometer angle drive, which you have, and another for the speedometer end. It appears that you only have the boot that fits over the speedo angle drive. My cable has both boots but they were put on backwards at the factory. It appears that there's a serious quality control issue at the factory.
bluhun

No. Read above.

My observation directly above regarding your cable is incorrect. What you have is the boot that fits over the tube at the firewall, fitted backwards on the cable. What you appear to be missing is the smaller boot that seals at the speedometer angle drive. Sorry for the confusion.
jeffdon
QUOTE(bluhun @ Aug 24 2014, 01:20 AM) *

No. Read above.

My observation directly above regarding your cable is incorrect. What you have is the boot that fits over the tube at the firewall, fitted backwards on the cable. What you appear to be missing is the smaller boot that seals at the speedometer angle drive. Sorry for the confusion.

Thats what I thought. So there should be a total of three boots, right?

bluhun
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Aug 24 2014, 05:41 AM) *

QUOTE(bluhun @ Aug 24 2014, 01:20 AM) *

No. Read above.

Thats what I thought. So there should be a total of three boots, right?

No, just two boots. The smaller one fits over the speedo angle drive and the large one (the one in your picture) fits at the firewall.
Dr Evil
Here is the official pic from the PET. The lower part is the part that attaches to the transmission. Upper attaches either to the gauge or the angle drive depending on year.
Dr Evil
OK, I just replaced my speedo cable with a new Gemo one and now understand the issue that prompted the start of this thread.

See the pics. The old and the new are different. The boot on the firewall end is too small on the new one, and the collar on the gauge end is not captive like on the OE one. Makes for a bit of fun. Best way to install is to put tape on the gauge end just behind the collar to keep the collar from sliding back.
eyesright
I have bought two cables for two cars in the past two years and both are wrong. I wasn't smart enough to send them back and complain...figured I just didn't understand these things yet... headbang.gif ...but they're on now and driving. Grrrr. I should have posted here and learned something. The next one will be returned to the supplier.

Thanks guys.
Dr Evil
I bet if we get Glenns attention to this thread he may be able to enact a change smile.gif I dont remember his screen name.
Jacco
Had the same experiece with the speedo cable.
Asked the question about the rubber boots to a couple of european resellers with pictures as above, comes down to this: factory claims they are exactly according to factory drawing. I decided to heat the rubber in hot water and carefully removed it to place it back correctly.

Jacco
rgalla9146
I don't know about the bulkhead boot.
I do know that the angle drive boot on any replacement cable that I've seen in twenty years has been wrong.
I'm lucky, I have one real original.
Now I have to check the bulkhead boot.
ClayPerrine
The boots have been reversed on the cables for years. I have attempted to let them know, but frankly they don't care. They have a captive audience in us. We can't go elsewhere to get a cable.

headbang.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Jacco @ Sep 5 2014, 04:06 PM) *

Had the same experiece with the speedo cable.
Asked the question about the rubber boots to a couple of european resellers with pictures as above, comes down to this: factory claims they are exactly according to factory drawing. I decided to heat the rubber in hot water and carefully removed it to place it back correctly.

Jacco

Good idea
rgalla9146
The problem is not with the boots. It's a hardware issue
The GEMO replacement cables don't have a collar on the transmission end to hold the boot.
See photo
The speedo end does not get a boot, only the angle drive and the bulkhead.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 6 2014, 06:09 AM) *

The boots have been reversed on the cables for years. I have attempted to let them know, but frankly they don't care. They have a captive audience in us. We can't go elsewhere to get a cable.

headbang.gif

agree.gif

I was able to get one off and turned the other inside out and put the one that I took off back on the other side. It was very tough and I did end up with a small tear in one of them! headbang.gif
jeffdon
How is one supposed to get a proper cable?
mepstein
Is it worth keeping the old parts to remake a new cable
rgalla9146
Sure, remove the angle drive end from the sheath of the new cable.
DO NOT CUT OR SHORTEN THE SHEATH
Remove the end from the old cable with care to save the end pieces.
Expand the crimped part some way.
Slip the new boots on the the right way.
Slip the old end pieces on.
Find a way to crimp the end on.
Easy
jeffdon
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 6 2014, 09:49 AM) *

Sure, remove the angle drive end from the sheath of the new cable.
DO NOT CUT OR SHORTEN THE SHEATH
Remove the end from the old cable with care to save the end pieces.
Expand the crimped part some way.
Slip the new boots on the the right way.
Slip the old end pieces on.
Find a way to crimp the end on.
Easy

Yeah, really easy, especially the parts above I have emboldened.
rgalla9146
......my response was a bit tongue-in-cheek.
maybe not easy, but possible.
On the other hand, has anyone ordered one from the dealer by part number ?
914 641 111 00
bluhun
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 6 2014, 01:43 PM) *

914 641 111 00

I ordered the cable directly from Porsche (over $100). The cable arrived with the boots in the correct orientation, but after installation the needle fluctuated wildly from 0 to 120, so I replaced it with one of the cheap aftermarket ones with the reversed boots. Hey, at least the speedo works now!
jeffdon
QUOTE(bluhun @ Sep 6 2014, 05:08 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 6 2014, 01:43 PM) *

914 641 111 00

I ordered the cable directly from Porsche (over $100). The cable arrived with the boots in the correct orientation, but after installation the needle fluctuated wildly from 0 to 120, so I replaced it with one of the cheap aftermarket ones with the reversed boots. Hey, at least the speedo works now!

Oh hell. What to do. At least I have a speedo ap on my iphone that works well.
jeffdon
BUMP

Anyone come up with a source for a proper cable?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.