Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john77
Put the 914 up on jack stands to swap the starter, but I can't figure out how to get to the 2nd bolt, the one up top on the other side by the tranny. Can it only be done with the engine dropped?

Click to view attachment

John
messix
from inside the engine compartment.
john77
QUOTE(messix @ Aug 23 2014, 03:12 PM) *

I think that only works for 4s, I have a 6 in mine, and unless I'm missing something there's no way to get to it from inside the engine compartment.

I think I may have figured it though.
stugray
QUOTE(john77 @ Aug 23 2014, 04:21 PM) *

I think that only works for 4s, I have a 6 in mine, and unless I'm missing something there's no way to get to it from inside the engine compartment.

Did you look?:
This pic: IPB Image

Shows what looks to be the same tranny as on a 4.
The bolt head is accessible from the engine cmpt.
john77
QUOTE(stugray @ Aug 23 2014, 03:31 PM) *

QUOTE(john77 @ Aug 23 2014, 04:21 PM) *

Did you look?:
This pic: IPB Image

Shows what looks to be the same tranny as on a 4.
The bolt head is accessible from the engine cmpt.

This is what I thought after reading up on it, but if you look at the pic there's no gap to get from the engine compartment through to it? I'm going to try sliding a ratchet extension from the direction of the muffler down the gap between the starter and the tranny.

Click to view attachment
cwpeden
Good luck. The head of the bolt is captured by the starter and won't turn from that side. Unless the starter has been machined for that option
914itis
Subscribed, I may need to do that sooner or later.
john77
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Aug 23 2014, 04:05 PM) *

Good luck. The head of the bolt is captured by the starter and won't turn from that side. Unless the starter has been machined for that option

Looks like it was piratenanner.gif Appears the builder thought ahead and appreciated there was a DANO in the car's future smile.gif.

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
On a six there is a round "nut" that is tightened with a 8mm (?) allen key from the transaxle side,
It helps if you shorten the shorter side of a 90 degree allen to do this job.
If you can reach it from the engine side you are missing your engine tin.
and you have extra elbows......and wrists.
colingreene
I usually just use extensions and swear words.
john77
Thanks guys, extensions and swear words finally worked. The nut on mine was a 10mm allen (hex) nut. All in all, a pretty simple swap - this is about the most 'technical' mechanical thing I've ever done on a car, so pretty much anyone should be able to do it.

The new Hi-torque starter sounds like I'm trying to start a Honda civic smile.gif, but it started first time for the first time since I got the car so I'm very happy.

Click to view attachment
colingreene
Oh i forgot to add, I did this on Larmo63's car with him and my Snap On ratchet with fine teeth really makes the job much much easier to do than with my craftsman stuff.
Sometimes it is worth the money
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.