Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: replacing cooling fan with engine in car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rmdinmd
found out why my oil temps have been so high. I discovered the other week that the alternator bolt went through the fan, sad.gif I knew it had taken out two blades but discovered today it took out six!! sheeplove.gif I am (was) planning on going to okteenerfest and am hoping to get this fixed quickly.

My question is can I replace the fan with the engine in or will I need to drop the engine in order to replace. I have a replacement that is missing only one blade and am hoping that will get me by.

TIA

Rick

Bob L.
I haven't done it but I remember reading that it can be done. PITA, but possible. You may want to remove the fin opposite the missing one, for balance.
colingreene
or buy a new fan, it should be easy enough to do.
Mblizzard
Ok I have not done this but it would seem that the 3 bolts should be accessible and you should be able to wiggle the fan off by hand. What I don't know is if there is enough room to get the impeller out the top of the engine bay past the firewall.

If you have a new one you might try sliding it in from the top to see if there is enough room. I would think if it was tight you could support the engine and remove the trans and engine bar bolts to move the engine a bit without removing too many things.

I am just guessing here so others may have specific experience that contradicts what I am saying.
Jetsetsurfshop
What about the broken pieces? Will they jump back up into the fan? Just a thought.
Mike Bellis
You can sell that broken fan as an AA special light weight racing fan... biggrin.gif

If I were you, I would pull the motor and find all the pieces that have settled on your cylinders and will cause you to run hot.
patssle
I've gotten the fan out without removing the engine. I don't think it was that bad of an operation but did have my dad helping me.
rmdinmd
ok, so it can be done but will probable be a PITA. dry.gif

I will also pull the carbs to get the top tins off so I can remove any pieces up on top that could cause high CHT's. hadn't thought of that possibility but makes sense.
I will also look with the inspection cam when the fan is pulled to make sure all pieces are retrieved.

didn't tighten that one nut enough at the bottom of the alt. headbang.gif

will chk back to see if anymore suggestions as I probable won't be able to start on this untill later in the week.

thx again.
ClayPerrine
I have replaced the fan in the car, but you have to pull the front engine tin and go downward to get enough clearance.

3d914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 23 2014, 06:21 PM) *

I have replaced the fan in the car, but you have to pull the front engine tin and go downward to get enough clearance.

Ditto. Done the same on two occasions. Not the PITA you might think. You will need a small diameter bar to apply leverage when adjusting alt belt tension.
stugray
I just tried to put my spare fan IN from the top just to see.

First approximation says - No you cannot get it past the top of the housing.
I obviously did not try moving the engine around any.

I am guessing that if you took the two tranny mount bolts out and lowered the trans end by about 1 inch, the fan would probably make it.
Dont know if you would need to remove the shift linkage for that though.
rmdinmd
Ok it can be done and isnt as bad as I thought. smile.gif the trick is the way clay said and take out the front tin. I also had to move the alt out of the way as the shift linkage was in the way.

Of course things are not going perfect, the fan I had was modified I think; any way the bolts on it won't work and I am getting a third set of hex head bolts (difference in lengths). I also pulled the tin on one side as it did have a fan blade on the head on that side. thanks for suggesting that Mike. hope to have it all back together in the next few days.

And yes the fan was sheeplove.gif . will add pic later.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.