Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 oil tank questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spsader
Am getting ready to order a 914-6 oil tank for my 3.2 conversion and I had a couple of (newbie) questions:
What other parts will I be needing apart from the filler/neck and filter console? More specifically with respect to the oil lines. Any photos or other images would be welcome.
How difficult is it getting the tank installed and the holes drilled?
Thanks in advance
Paul
Socalandy
here is a picture of the conversion tank from Patrick Motorsports with the factory diagram showing all the parts
Mark Henry
I can take pics of the tank install if you like. Engine is still out so I have nothing on the lines. You will need a /6 cooler or you can modify a 911 one.
If you were just a bit closer I'd say pop over for a look.
spsader
Thanks for the offer Mark, any pictures would be helpful. I will also be installing a front mounted oil cooler and have been trying to figure out how to run the lines.

I will be installing an 1989 3.2, it is complete with the engine mounted Behr cooler.

Bob (naro914) sent me some pics of his setup and I have been searching to understand the routing of the oil through the engine mounted cooler, through the engine and to and from the tank. Pictures always make things clearer.

I will undoubtedly be having some questions with respect to mating the engine (with the DME) to my 901 transmission but that will come later smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
This is a cooler conversion made by Rich Johnson. see this link: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=4319

IPB Image

here's a real 914/6 cooler (at least a made to look real cooler).

IPB Image

This is another way then you use a AN 90 fitting.

IPB Image
Mark Henry
Elephant Racing sells a kit for the front cooler lines but it's expensive

IPB Image

IPB Image
Mark Henry
This all gets expensive so many will convert to AN- style fittings and common lines.

The return into the engine is straight from the tank, note that although the pipe is attached to the bottom of the cooler it really has nothing to do with the cooler part itself.
The cooler has two circuits, the big pipe feeds direct from the tank to the pump, then it also has two holes in the top part that is the in/out for the cooler.
larryM
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 24 2014, 06:16 PM) *

This all gets expensive so many will convert to AN- style fittings and common lines.

X2 above

Elephant has all the required metric fittings & metric hoses

- worth noting that -

and well worth paying them for the right metric parts vs backyard engineering this with goofy FLAPS solutions

AND

you also have to figure out how to route the 3.2 hard pressure line from the engine to the tank and/or front cooler diverter valve - the 3.2 oem hard line does not "fit' around the sixer engine mount, and the sixer parts are a different metric size than the 3.2, and the sixer oem hard line is significantly different in "shape'

I did this 3.2 conversion 2 yrs ago & have pictures - PM for help with specific Q's as you get into each sequential stage of this

if you are going to install a front cooler (highly recommended) - more issues to consider -

good luck

p.s.- am not replies-subscribed to this thread = don't expect an answer from me if you post on it

2 p.s. - I have a real oem sixer engine oil cooler FS - posted on classifieds - also have the the 911 front cooler diverter thermostat valve that you will need - also posted on classifieds;

Armando also has a real oem six oil cooler FS - has been on eBay periodically

earossi
You and I are doing the same conversion. I have an 87 3.2 fitted with injection. I intend to install the engine with injection. That should provide an extremely reliable and nicely running engine for the car. No need to go to carbs and all their issues when injection works fine.

I have purchased ALL of my conversion pieces from Rich Johnson and can tell you that he is a standup guy. His attention to detail on anything you get from him is amazing. Rich lives in Dallas and can usually get things done fairly quickly. He also has a very good network for any other materials you might need for the conversion.

You might also want to take a look at the front engine mount available from Patrick Motorsports. It allows the engine to be tilted down which is great when doing a lot of work on the motor. So, tilting the engine down rather than dropping it entirely looks to be a nice feature. My understanding is that doing any work on the six "in the car" is very difficult, so being able to tilt it down changes everything. I already have Rich's front engine mount and will use it; but, if I had to do it over, I would take a hard look at the Patrick design.

Dealing with Rich and his command of knowledge about 914 conversions is worth the price of admission. Just my humble opinion.

Regarding the external oil cooler, I suggest you discuss this with Rich before doing any work on your car. Rich has come up with a cooler that is mounted in the rear of the car, thus preventing the need to cut the body up to route oil lines to the front trunk area where most folks mount the external oil cooler. Rich has a number of rear mounted external coolers running in the Dallas area without issue. So, talk to him about it before you start cutting sheet metal.
spsader
Thanks for all the feedback and offers of advice, I will definitely be sending out some PMs.
I did order a Patrick Motorsport style tilting engine mount from Bob (naro914), only good comments about his mount and a little less $, which can always help. There seems to be an endless list of things to do and get!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.