Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leaking side shift console
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HalfMoon
Well I haven't actually confirmed this, but I was doing a cursory examination yesterday and noticed what looks and smells like gear oil from the console (via a small crack I have in my cover). Odd that as I rebuilt this trans (with the good Dr) just a while ago.
Some seal up there has failed I reckon....
David
HalfMoon
item 20 or 12 in the diagram I reckon, most likely 12
Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
I got a bunch of the 20 oil rings if you need one.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 23 2014, 08:06 PM) *

I got a bunch of the 20 oil rings if you need one.

Thanks for that offer!
I'll have to take a careful look to ascertain which one it is.
If it's the inner oil seal, I wonder if it can be dental picked out or if the whole console has to come off? If not and the whole console has to come out I suppose replacing the oil ring (and for that matter the bushings too) ought to be done as well...
D
Dr Evil
The leaks will be distinctly different between the two. A leak at 20 can not drip from the bottom of the shifter. It will drip off of the console housing at the lowest point, only.

A leak at 12 will drip off of the shift lever only and the console itself will be dry. Determine this first.

As for remove and replace of 12 while in the car, I would advise against it. Place a drain pan under the tranz, remove the two 13mm nuts, and with the transmission in neutral remove the console and let the oil drain out. You can try to drain it at the oil plug first (make sure the fill plug is able to be opened before draining anything!), but you will still get oil out when you pull the console.

After the console is removed you can then pull the rod out and remove the seal. If i havent already packed them all up, I will have a spare for you.

IF 20 is the culprit, you will need to investigate why it leaked. Look at the casting on the console for pores due to bad casting (happens). Look at the surface of the case where the O-ring sits. See if there is any left over sealant (not supposed to have been used). If you can not find an obvious reason for the leak, check the hole in the case for ovality. You may need to use a sparing amount of sealant on the O-ring if there is no obvious reason for it to leak.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 24 2014, 12:04 AM) *

The leaks will be distinctly different between the two. A leak at 20 can not drip from the bottom of the shifter. It will drip off of the console housing at the lowest point, only.

A leak at 12 will drip off of the shift lever only and the console itself will be dry. Determine this first.

As for remove and replace of 12 while in the car, I would advise against it. Place a drain pan under the tranz, remove the two 13mm nuts, and with the transmission in neutral remove the console and let the oil drain out. You can try to drain it at the oil plug first (make sure the fill plug is able to be opened before draining anything!), but you will still get oil out when you pull the console.

After the console is removed you can then pull the rod out and remove the seal. If i havent already packed them all up, I will have a spare for you.

IF 20 is the culprit, you will need to investigate why it leaked. Look at the casting on the console for pores due to bad casting (happens). Look at the surface of the case where the O-ring sits. See if there is any left over sealant (not supposed to have been used). If you can not find an obvious reason for the leak, check the hole in the case for ovality. You may need to use a sparing amount of sealant on the O-ring if there is no obvious reason for it to leak.

Rats. I was afraid you'd say that. It's not leaking like a seive. Are you still gonna shine me on a fitted shift finger (not to be confused with a shit finger)? If so, mebbe I should just wait and do this seal repair at the same time, eh? If that's not in the relatively near future then I reckon I'd better go ahead and pull the console Monday for seal or o-ring repair, eh?
Poop. Always sumthin.
Btw, did you need any help with yer move? I got a truck and trailer that could be useful....
David
rhodyguy
Moved.

K
Dr Evil
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Aug 24 2014, 12:15 AM) *

Rats. I was afraid you'd say that. It's not leaking like a seive. Are you still gonna shine me on a fitted shift finger (not to be confused with a shit finger)? If so, mebbe I should just wait and do this seal repair at the same time, eh? If that's not in the relatively near future then I reckon I'd better go ahead and pull the console Monday for seal or o-ring repair, eh?
Poop. Always sumthin.
Btw, did you need any help with yer move? I got a truck and trailer that could be useful....
David

Man, I have 7 days off, non-contiguous, before I am to be out of my house. I am not doing a damn thing but tying things up. I dont plan to modify any more of those consoles until I am set up in the new house. Likely Nov at the earliest. Spent all of today doing a specialty build for a customer in Norway. What a PITA this one has been (build, not the customer).

So, I am guessing it is leaking from the O-ring?
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 24 2014, 07:27 PM) *

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Aug 24 2014, 12:15 AM) *

Poop. Always sumthin.
David

Man, I have 7 days off, non-contiguous, before I am to be out of my house. I am not doing a damn thing but tying things up. I dont plan to modify any more of those consoles until I am set up in the new house. Likely Nov at the earliest. Spent all of today doing a specialty build for a customer in Norway. What a PITA this one has been (build, not the customer).

So, I am guessing it is leaking from the O-ring?

Think I'll wait til then as the leak isn't a gusher...
I was gonna post some images but they really don't seem to be able to pinpoint which seal it is. My guess is the shaft seal rather than the o-ring. But it's mote. If the console is gonna come off might as well replace em both, right?
D
HalfMoon
Awww crap. It might not be a gusher but it's enough to make a mess. Guess I'll go ahead and drain the trans and replace both the seal and o-ring. Poop.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.