Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Car! and a quick question?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kekoa
Joining the 914 world and I could not be more excited! Todays project was a new starter (of course took twice as long as it should have to put in) and battery. Now to get the lights all working. Here is the car followed by my first of many questions. Thank you in advance for all of your knowledge.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

So now for my question. I think these pictures will help.... There is a line that comes out next to the oil cap. I believe it is an oil return line??? In the picture I have labled the line and drawn a red rectangle around where i believe it plugs in. The biggest question is if this is where it connects where would you recomend to look for the plastic fitting or what is the part number?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thanks!
02loftsmoor
you need to check your rubber shrowd seals. from what I seen there not in to good of shape.
02loftsmoor
From What very little i know the PO removed the FI, they also removed piping/hosing for the crank case breather system, that my friend is your crank case breather
Spoke
welcome.png

Nice car.

As mentioned, that is the oil breather line. When changed from FI to carbs, the PO didn't finish the job by installing a breather.
flash914
PCV Positive Crankcase Ventilation system normally hooks in to the air cleaner housing sucking blow by from the crank case. look around at some of the other pictures you will see some teed to the intake manifold below the carbs. you would need to put a pvc valve in the system also. Gordon
thelogo
Wow really nice car I like the paint ,almost like gold 914
Congrats on the nice ride the body looks perfect
Except for the carb conversion
speed metal army
Hey! welcome.png Car looks nice! Should be a snap to sort out that CC vent. beerchug.gif
Elliot Cannon
Nice car. welcome.png
kekoa
Thanks for the info. I am still really confused about what exactly i need to do to complete this but i think i now know where to start searching.

Any more tips and links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Socalandy
great looking 914 welcome.png
Elliot Cannon
Here's a picture of my breather set up. You can see the breather attached to the firewall in the right side of the picture. The middle hose goes down to where yours is also located next to the oil filler. The other two hoses go on each side down to a fitting in each head.
kekoa
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 23 2014, 10:45 PM) *

Here's a picture of my breather set up. You can see the breather attached to the firewall in the right side of the picture. The middle hose goes down to where yours is also located next to the oil filler. The other two hoses go on each side down to a fitting in each head.

That is the pic and explanation I needed. THANK YOU!!!!!! Sounds like I just need to find a breather and run the lines. Found tomorrows project.

ndfrigi
Welcome to 914world! Beautiful car!!!!
Is it 1975 1.8L copper metallic color?

Looks like actual model and color of mine (although mine was repainted with blue now) and Jim holland's car.

Click to view attachment
JawjaPorsche
Love the color!

welcome.png
jacksun
very nice 14, great colour.

here is where on the heads.

r

Click to view attachment
t collins
welcome.png Nice car! Breather box available from CB Performance part #1754
barefoot
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 24 2014, 01:45 AM) *

I need to do the same thing for mine.
Question, what's in the collector box on the firewall, does it incorporate some kind of PVC valve ?
This just seems to be able to circulate crankcase oil fumes between the valve chambers in the heads and the main crankcase with no external venting to be sucked into the carbs, is that correct ?
t collins
QUOTE(barefoot @ Aug 24 2014, 04:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 24 2014, 01:45 AM) *

I need to do the same thing for mine.
Question, what's in the collector box on the firewall, does it incorporate some kind of PVC valve ?
This just seems to be able to circulate crankcase oil fumes between the valve chambers in the heads and the main crankcase with no external venting to be sucked into the carbs, is that correct ?

The cover is not air tight and allows venting, this should help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCCCFKJrTV8

76-914
welcome.png We can help you re-convert back to an FI system, also. biggrin.gif
bandjoey
No PVC needed. It's now an oil vapor / oil return line from the vent box on the firewall.
kekoa
QUOTE(jacksun @ Aug 24 2014, 04:01 AM) *

r

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the picture!
kekoa
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Aug 24 2014, 02:20 AM) *

Welcome to 914world! Beautiful car!!!!
Is it 1975 1.8L copper metallic color?

Looks like actual model and color of mine (although mine was repainted with blue now) and Jim holland's car.

Click to view attachment

It is a 1975 2.0L Copper metallic. Gorgeous car you have, love the blue.
kekoa
QUOTE(jacksun @ Aug 24 2014, 04:01 AM) *

r

Click to view attachment

The flange that is circled does is not there on my car? It is a 75 2.0L.
I have circled where the flange is in your pic?Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
75/76 cars did not have the heads vented. The bosses are there, but not drilled. You can drill, tap, and insert a barbed brass fitting from the hardware store.
Mr.242
Welcome to PNW Teeners!!!

Sweet ride and there's several of us in the Seattle area to help. How's the tranny shift? We're doing a rebuild clinic this next weekend that you won't regret to rebuild.
Dr. Evil will provide the guidance and it's an easy job for even the basic mechanic.

Link: PNW Tranny Clinic Aug. 30-31
kekoa
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Aug 24 2014, 10:47 AM) *

Welcome to PNW Teeners!!!

Sweet ride and there's several of us in the Seattle area to help. How's the tranny shift? We're doing a rebuild clinic this next weekend that you won't regret to rebuild.
Dr. Evil will provide the guidance and it's an easy job for even the basic mechanic.

Link: PNW Tranny Clinic Aug. 30-31

The tranny actually shifts great. Right before I got the car the tranny was fully serviced. Thank you for the invite though. I have a couple more things to fix up and then i will be looking for any drives to go on.
kekoa
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 24 2014, 09:46 AM) *

75/76 cars did not have the heads vented. The bosses are there, but not drilled. You can drill, tap, and insert a barbed brass fitting from the hardware store.

So it is not necessary to have those right away? or at all? I would not be able to put them in till this winter....
rjames
Nice car and welcome.png

The driveway in your pics look familiar. By any chance was this your car once upon a time?

Click to view attachment

Looks like this now:

Click to view attachment
kekoa
QUOTE(rjames @ Aug 24 2014, 10:58 PM) *

Nice car and welcome.png

The driveway in your pics look familiar. By any chance was this your car once upon a time?

Click to view attachment

Looks like this now:

Click to view attachment

No it was not but that car looks great!
rhodyguy
using the 'stand off' breather box you can return the collected vapors to the engine via the pictured tubes in the heads. this will require the 3 port version of the box. no tubes you can drill a couple of holes in the carb filter and use fittings to draw off. or buy one of chris folly's canisters. which ever, you need a pvc valve. just venting to the air in the engine compartment will make a HUGE mess.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.