Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a photo of the the timing mark for a 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
Anyone have a photo of the timing mark as it aligns to the notch in the fan housing. I don't have it marked and can't tell where to line it up.
stugray
push the rear engine tin hold tabs up & over the engine case and push the engine tin back about 3/4".

You can then see the TDC mark on the flywheel through the inspection port on the trans.

That is where I set my timing with a variable advance timing light.
rick 918-S
I clearly remember marking the timing but don't remember if it was on the flywheel or fan. Must have been on the flywheel cause there is nada on the fan as far as I can tell.
stugray
I believe all stock FWs will have the mark on the FW.
I mark mine white for TDC #1 and yellow at 180 degrees from there to use when setting the valves from underneath.

The fans are hit & miss. there are different versions of fans with marks in different places.
I marked my fan at TDC but its a PITA to look through that hole in the front, so I use the one in the rear (I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere).
TheCabinetmaker
Don't have a pic Rick, but it's easy. It's just to the passenger side of the first small fin on the fan that is also to the pass side of the thick web of the fan.
stugray
Remember that some fans will have a mark at 5 deg BTDC (to set static timing) and another at 27 deg BTDC for timing @3500.

I dont think any had a mark for TDC #1.
With my carbs, I set mine closer to 32 deg so I use the variable timing light and the TDC mark.
bandjoey
Pelican has some photos. Might check there. I'll put them up tonight at home if someone doesn't beat me to it.
StratPlayer
Off of the pelican site
johnhora
here's an old photo I had...Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Here's a pic of my fan:

IPB Image

The red mark is timing, the white one is TDC. I painted them both.

--DD
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 24 2014, 08:25 PM) *

Here's a pic of my fan:

The red mark is timing, the white one is TDC. I painted them both.

--DD

That is weird. The notch in the housing is on the belt side but the fan groove is on the engine side. I'll have to look there next weekend. I have to bail for now. I'm out of town for another week.

Dave, am I seeing this right? It looks like the red line runs across the top of the fin. I was using the trailing edge as my alignment point. The passenger side of the fin.

Thanks Dave and all!

Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
That pic is a little misleading. The mark is a few mm to the passenger side of the fin.
Dave_Darling
Curt is correct--it is a couple of MM to the side.

It should also be noted that there can be slight differences between the fans. Possibly different production runs?

The best thing is to double-check against the flywheel mark; that will give you TDC and you can use the template from the Pelican article (or just measure!) from there.

--DD
r_towle
trust the aluminum base of the fan and do not trust the outer ring.

the whole thing can be unbolted for cleaning and painting...and does not need to be put back together the same way.

The base can only fit on the crank flange one way...so trust that.

Like Dave, I paint it loud and clear so I can see it...

It takes a few minutes to pull the fan off while its in the car...get it on the bench and mark it like pelican parts diagram shows you...
I used a dremel to make the marks, then wipe white paint in the grooves to make them easy to see.

A trick I learned way back when to make a framing square easier to read...

I also mark the ring of the fan belt really clearly because its just easier to set the timing leaning that way versus getting your head in there.
Mirrors always confuse me for that project....

Rich
rick 918-S
I never looked to the engine side of the fan. Thanks guys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.