Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Today I saw
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JoeSharp
Near the mouth of the Santa Ana River. I could not belive my eyes, I had to turn around and go back and find a place to park. Watched him for about 10 minutes. Then whent to my friends house. Told him about it. He left to do an aron, when he returned he told me he had sighted him also. Check my location. I was jazzed about the return of the Red Tail Hawlk. rocking nana.gif rocking nana.gif IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
Joe
P.S. Don't post that smilie I'll be watching for him with camera in hand. IPB Image
bare 1
Aw man!! How about I come down and you show an old dog some good surfin spots an then you come up here an watch eagles? I have them looking over my shoulder at work. Honestly in the trees behind my current project. Ive seen nine on a seal carcass on the beach. See them almost every day. Magnificant creatures. I still stop an stare. Had one fly about 20 ft in front of me while sitting in my van eating lunch one day, and another sit in a tree an watch me eat lunch. They are just so spectacular!!
Rhodes71/914
Took a drive with the family a couple of days ago and had one just about dive bomb the car - both times we went by it. Not that uncommon around here but still cool to see them.

I've also seen them looking there worst, picking throught the trash in Dutch Harbor, AK - they look like overgrown seagulls when in that scene.
bryanthompson
Around this time of the year we can usually see 20-30 bald eagles flying around down the river from our house about a mile. They are incredible to watch and unbelievably huge.

You guys get to see P-Cars every day... I guess we get crazy wildlife

oh yeah and: IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
skline
I know where that Eagle lives perhaps. There is one with a nest on the Comcast tower in Costa Mesa over by my friends shop. Its out there all the time.
Toast
I got to see one too! Aren't they beautiful. IPB Image And what big birds too!
There was a bald eagle that was residing in the open area near the local airport in the podunt town that I was from. The National Forest Service immediately band all deer and animal hunting in the area. I belive it was around for about 2 years. Was told it had a wing span of over 7 feet! IPB Image

Glad you got to see one in person guys. They are a very rare site.
bare 1
Rare in Riverside, Not on Whidbey Is.
nebreitling
today i saw a bald beaver. pretty common around here, actually. IPB Image
SpecialK
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Jan 24 2005, 11:43 PM)

IPB Image IPB Image

We should petition it to be the new national symbol!
nebreitling
QUOTE (Special_K @ Jan 25 2005, 12:32 AM)

We should petition it to be the new national symbol!

not with the current administration IPB Image

(drum hit)

thanks, everyone -- i'll be here all week...
Bruce Allert
I lived in the Port Townsend/ Port Ludlow area of Wa back in the late 70's. I can remember hearing them coming before I'd see them. The whoosh of their wings against the air was phenomenal. First time I heard that it kinda scared me cuz I din't know what it was!

Magnificent Birds IPB Image

.....b
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Jan 24 2005, 11:43 PM)

Had to do it IPB Image
DNHunt
I've got a funny eagle story in a sick sort of way.

A neighbor put a TV antenna up in the top of a tall fir tree that was very near their driveway. A mating pair of bald eagles picked this as a good site for a nest (very high, stable and a couple hundred yards from salt water). They returned for 2 years to raise a family. The next year osprey beat them to it and they've been there since.

Unfortunately, for the people the eagles and osprey won't foul their nest so the peoples driveway and roof are covered with fish bones, and crap half of the year. They can't touch the tree or the nest since the birds are protected and thy can't sell because they have to disclose the situation.

It's great for us in the area cause we geat to watch the birds but, these poor people are really paying a terrible price.

Dave
Root_Werks
Only seen a few in my life. When we lived on Camano Island, the closest I ever got to one was when I saw one fly over me while sitting at a stop light. It was HUGE! I think they can get up to a 7ft wing span? Wow! IPB Image
rhodyguy
2 of them roost in the greenbelt across the street from my house. i hear them every morning and see them circling when the weather permits.

k
dmenche914
Bald Eagle, Uhm, try the Hair Club for Birds. Nice to see mother nature. I've got little humming birds nesting, they are the 914's of the bird world, they can really turn on a dime. And like 914's they come in many many colors. I think I have even seen a Ravena Metallic Green humming bird, or as I likes to say, a hummin biord.

dave
RAR
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jan 25 2005, 10:19 AM)
2 of them roost in the greenbelt across the street from my house. i hear them every morning and see them circling when the weather permits.

k

Is this the nest above the RR tracks along the Puyallup? Folks were always stopping to check it out about three years ago. I assumed it was an eagles nest. Nice road for the 914, too.
TROJANMAN
if you want to see an eagle in action, try big bear lake, CA. the little black ducks (coots) walk the frozen lake and sometimes get stuck. then the bald eagles will come down and snatch them up for dinner. pretty cool site.
rhodyguy
that road would be pioneer i think. volunteers built a number of nesting platforms. the puyallups have constructed a large salmon habitat area and the fish runs help to attract the birds. i'm about a mile or south of 512 in the summit area. did you ever check out the steam cleaner?

k
Toast
QUOTE (glstrojan @ Jan 25 2005, 11:49 AM)
if you want to see an eagle in action, try big bear lake, CA. the little black ducks (coots) walk the frozen lake and sometimes get stuck. then the bald eagles will come down and snatch them up for dinner. pretty cool site.

I go to Big Bear a couple of times a week and have never seen a bald eagle there. IPB Image

But, I do see Blue Jays in the cold of winter. IPB Image
Elliot_Cannon
A bald eagle was sighted just recently in Newport Beach. Many of them live on Catalina Island where there is a breeding project going on. Went to Catalina on my neighbors boat and saw one perched up on a spire if rock. We thought it was a statue until it moved it's head. Beutiful animal!
Cheers, Elliot
RAR
Yep, Pioneer. Human built platforms--I always thought the nest was kind of low. No steam as of yet.
airsix
QUOTE (bare 1 @ Jan 24 2005, 11:38 PM)
Rare in Riverside, Not on Whidbey Is.

Yep, Those of us in the Rockies and Pac Northwest are spoiled. I've got a Coopers Hawk and a Merlin duking it out for supremecy in my backyard, and there is a white Gyr Falcon wintering near my office, feeding on the feral pigeons that roost on the bank building across the parkinglot from me. I've seen her three or four times in the past two weeks. Most gorgeous bird you'll ever see. There are Bald Eagles all up and down the Yakima and Columbia rivers right up into town. They aren't as common as crows, but if you go down to the river you can count on seeing at least one.

-Ben M.
Kennewick Man
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (Toast @ Jan 25 2005, 11:27 AM)
QUOTE (glstrojan @ Jan 25 2005, 11:49 AM)
if you want to see an eagle in action, try big bear lake, CA.  the little black ducks (coots) walk the frozen lake and sometimes get stuck.  then the bald eagles will come down and snatch them up for dinner.  pretty cool site.

I go to Big Bear a couple of times a week and have never seen a bald eagle there. IPB Image

But, I do see Blue Jays in the cold of winter. IPB Image

then you're not much of a naturalist. this was taken out of last weeks BIG BEAR NEWS
Come see our bald eagles!
You¹re guaranteed to learn everything you ever wanted to know about eagles and almost guaranteed to see one in the wild.
The tours start at the Discovery Center with an hour long program then hop aboard their giant van with their naturalist for a 2-hour ride around the lake to look for eagles, learn local history, and maybe spot coyotes, herons and hawks.
Tours are presented by The Discovery Center with sponsorship from Prudential Properties of Big Bear Lake and include Arrowhead Mountain Spring Water and a snack as well as the
use of spotting scopes and binoculars. Space limited to 12. Reservations
recommended.
Tour rates: Adults $25, children 16 and under $15
Tour dates: January 8 through March 11, Saturdays 9 am-12 pm
Extra tours on January 16 and February 20
PorscheTom
I see a couple of Eagles everyday...

... a white one and a brown one...

...my wife and I drive them! AMC Eagles!!

Hahahahahahahaha!

4 wheel drive in the snow, they're great!

I know, IPB Image
SpecialK
We get 1000 or more that overwinter here just north of St. Louis, supposedly the second largest population of bald eagles in the US, next to southern OR/northern CA. Awesome animals.......and way better looking to the "original" national bird.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (PorscheTom @ Jan 25 2005, 04:24 PM)

Hahahahahahahaha!

I know, IPB Image

looking at your fleet of cars,
i bet you still wear bell bottoms too. IPB Image
SpecialK
QUOTE (glstrojan @ Jan 25 2005, 04:32 PM)

...my wife and I drive them!  AMC Eagles!!  

Hahahahahahahaha!

I know,   IPB Image

looking at your fleet of cars,
i bet you still wear bell bottoms too. IPB Image

Playing his Tony Orlando and Dawn 8-track IPB Image
Rhodes71/914

Hahahahahahahaha!

I know, IPB Image

Those car rock IPB Image Really I mean it.
mohnliting
We used to live in Juneau, Alaska. I saw Bald Eagles daily on my drive to work. There was a nest on a cliff right next to my office entrance. I once got a great picture of several Bald Eagles diving at a dead salmon floating in Auke Bay about 10 feet in front of our boat. It is an incredible sight.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (mohnliting @ Jan 25 2005, 09:50 PM)
We used to live in Juneau, Alaska. I saw Bald Eagles daily on my drive to work. There was a nest on a cliff right next to my office entrance. I once got a great picture of several Bald Eagles diving at a dead salmon floating in Auke Bay about 10 feet in front of our boat. It is an incredible sight.

that's great, but what does that have to do with AMC. and tom's 70's wardrobe. IPB Image
Eric_Shea
I saw one last week on the way back from Phoenix. I was playing a game with my 5 year old daughter to pass the time. I told her whoever spotted a bald eagle would win the game... sure enough we saw a bald eagle that day. Spectacular when you see them. I tried to explain to her that the bird was as big (or bigger) than she was.

They taste great with a little 5-spice powder and hoisin sauce served over a bed of couscous IPB Image
URY914
This time of year in Florida we have a HUGE increase in the Snowbird population.
VERY slow moving, BIG pain in the ass to deal with, and hard of hearing.

Paul
carr914
As I writing this I am looking at a HUGE Brown eagle across the street from my house. I live right in the middle of Tampa in an old section of town with lots of trees and lakes. I normally see hawks and I see eagles every once in awhile. People don't think of Florida and eagles together, but it's rare when I don't see a Bald Eagle on the way to Sebring.
T.C.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.