Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Auxiliary Battery Cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AvalonFal
PO installed a second smaller cable from the starter to the (+) battery post. What would be the purpose? I just bought a new 4 ga. main cable and I'm thinking I don't need the 2nd one. Any thoughts?

Paul
stugray
It was probably a quick bandaid to solve a weak connection to the starter.
Tom
Just wondering, did you get the other battery issues fixed?
Tom
AvalonFal
QUOTE(Tom @ Aug 25 2014, 03:10 PM) *

Just wondering, did you get the other battery issues fixed?
Tom

Everything not back together yet, but I narrowed the draw down to about 1/2 from the clock (not original, but very, very close to it and keeping accurate time) and 1/2 from the aftermarket stereo presets. I hate to lose the working clock, but I'm gonna disconnect it and see if the preset draw only will be OK on the battery. Also, replacing the battery cables, including the 4 smaller red wires.

I don't know if this will work, but I sure got intimate with the car's wiring, how to read the wiring diagram and all the PO's electrical handiwork the last few days!!

Paul
914Mike
If all you have draining the battery is a clock and a stereo a small solar panel will keep it topped off if you get any sun at all. I keep a couple of these handy:

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-watt-solar...rger-68692.html

They won't keep up with a dome light left on, but the clock and radio should be no problem. I keep a pair of them on my truck dash so that it's always ready to go, no matter how long it sits. Facing north it does not get direct sun, and it would have taken a month (or more) to recharge from dead (dome light!).
AvalonFal
Thanks for the good tip, but the car is kept in a garage 24/7, so it doesn't see much sunlight.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.