Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch cable reinstall
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
patssle
I can't get the freaking clevis snapped back in underneath the tunnel to the pedal assembly. Is there a secret to this? I'm taking it needs to be installed from the passenger side - the way it came out?
steuspeed
Small nimble fingers. I did it from the driver side. It was a pain to get off since it was on 'I believe' backwards when I took it apart.

I took out the gas pedal and pedal board as well. Console installed. I inserted the pin from the drivers side. That seemed to make more sense to me.
76-914
Not sure what your question is. If you mean the ball is difficult to snap on to the cam use channel lock pliers to squeeze it on. I've done this 30+ times. They're angled perfectly for the job. I did this 3 or 4 times Sunday with the console in. Be sure to remove the gas pedal and it's rod before you start any of this. A nice pair of long hemostats makes this and most task in this area possible. It's akin to building a ship in a bottle but once you pick up the little tricks it goes pretty easy. While laying on my left shoulder, I position the snap on cable end against the ball, right handed, using the long clamp then left handed I hold that piece against the ball while I remove the clamp and grab the pliers. Then it's just a squeeze. A 2 min job this way, once the gas pedal is out.
patssle
Ball? Confused - there isn't a ball on the clutch cable? It's a clevis that has a pin that goes into the cable holder (2nd picture - screwed onto clutch cable) then snaps on. It should be easy but very difficult to get on at the end of the tunnel with brake lines and such blocking access from the passenger side (which is the side it was on when I removed it).

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
campbellcj
Welcome to one of the least fun jobs on the 914. I just had do one a few months ago. There's no trick so to speak but you may have better success flipping it over. Also for sure I oriented my body from the passenger side, hanging upside down between rollcage, dash and race seats. It's impossible to see clearly and get your arms/fingers positioned correctly unless your whole body is positioned right. Oh it makes my back hurt just remembering...
Mblizzard
I use a zip tie to hold it in the right place and slowly tighten the tie. You will have to force it all the way on on using brute strength or pliers but the zip tie keeps everything in place.

I leave the tie on to be sure the clip does not pop up and snag the accelerator cable.
rgalla9146
Start by removing everything at the other end of the cable.
Push the cable fully forward to ease retrival of the cable from the front of the tunnel. Install the jamb nut then the clevis.
Tighten jam nut against clevis.
Prop clutch pedal fully up with something (screwdriver ?)
Now slide cable rearward until the clevis can be dropped over the arm.
Use a small drift pin or small screwdriver to align holes.
Or use a long bent needle nose to hold clevis in position.
Install pin from far side so that the spring retainer clip is pushed down over the clevis rather than from the drivers side and up onto the clevis.
Now attach the rear and adjust.
Easy.
CSteven59
Replaced the clutch cable, but the cable still feels too long. It doesn't seem tight. Can't shift gears. I've got the cable to full length as far as adjustments go. The clutch pedal doesn't spring all the way back either. I still have about a half inch of travel to complete. Any advice?
TheCabinetmaker
There are two brands of cables. One of them is too long. I always have to use a spacer behind the nut. Sometimes it's as much as 1/2" or maybe more.
CSteven59
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 29 2014, 07:39 PM) *

There are two brands of cables. One of them is too long. I always have to use a spacer behind the nut. Sometimes it's as much as 1/2" or maybe more.

Thanks for the response. What do you mean a spacer? Washer? In front of the nut behind the piece that fits into the throw arm? I lost the last six inches of the cable, so I'm just spit balling with bad diagrams.
patssle
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 27 2014, 02:04 AM) *

I use a zip tie to hold it in the right place and slowly tighten the tie.

Just be careful of the zip tie falling down the cable. I now have a loose zip tie in my tunnel....

I tried that method but it fell off. But I still had a miracle and it went on without the zip tie. In less than 5 minutes after fighting an hour with it the other day.
Elliot Cannon
I remove the steering wheel (mine is quick remove type) and remove the front seat. Makes it easier.
steuspeed
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 29 2014, 07:39 PM) *

I bought a Gemo cable and it was the proper length on my 73.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.