Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zinc coating
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
arkitect
Another previous world member told me he did zinc coating of small parts, nuts and bolts and such at home but never got around to telling me how he did it. Anyone have a simple/easy way of doing the process?

Dave type.gif
Phoenix-MN
http://www.caswellplating.com/electroplati...ating-kits.html

This is what I used
bdstone914
QUOTE(arkitect @ Aug 26 2014, 03:15 AM) *

Another previous world member told me he did zinc coating of small parts, nuts and bolts and such at home but never got around to telling me how he did it. Anyone have a simple/easy way of doing the process?

Dave type.gif

My simple way is to take the parts to a commercial plates who does a couple for 5 gallon buckets for $ 50. Check on barrel plating for small parts like nuts and bolts. The big parts get wired and dipped. Labor intensive on small parts. Most of the time is to get the parts clean enough to plate.
Jeffs9146
That was me!

I used a large zink plate off my boat soaked in viniger.

Here are the basics of zinking

FYI it was a shit load of work just to get this many parts done!
relentless
Here is a good tutorial.

http://home.comcast.net/~rt66tbird/website/zincplating.html
patssle
How does zinc plating hold up to wear and tear? Would it be good on the heads of lug bolts?
Jeffs9146
I did a set of lug nuts for Lennies914 and they came out ok but by then my solution had become contaminated and didn't look as nice as the first 5-6 batches!

They will start to rust again if you scratch them up putting them on.
bdstone914
QUOTE(patssle @ Aug 26 2014, 03:41 PM) *

How does zinc plating hold up to wear and tear? Would it be good on the heads of lug bolts?

Zinc is soft and will get scratched easily. If you use a soft socket like they have for the aluminum 911 lug nuts it will reduce the damage. I have a set of silver zinc standard lug bolts.
Even scratched it looks better than rust.
patssle
Bummer. Been trying to find a solution. Painting didn't last long and I've read powder coating won't hold up either.
arkitect
QUOTE(relentless @ Aug 26 2014, 11:03 AM) *

This is what I was looking for, no good utube videos to show this.

Jeff T.,
Thanks for the pict and the graphic to show how to do it. Can multiple parts be done by connecting in series or just one part at a time? Probably just one part at a time, slowwwww process.

Yes, it was Lennie who showed me parts. Have not heard from him in awhile. He was going to do a subaru conversion on his latest find and let his wife have the gorgeous black one he did. Great black garage paint job.

Dave
Jeffs9146
Yes you can do multiple small parts at the same time. I used welding wire to hold each part and hung them from a copper pipe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.