Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: high quality driver in NC/SC/VA area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
era vulgaris
I'm looking to buy an as-rust-free-as-possible high quality driver within ~300 miles of Raleigh, NC. I'd only be interested in cars that I could drive to view and get back home the same day. I'm not flying anywhere to check out a car.

-If there is any sign of rust in the hell hole, longitudinals, or floor pan, I'm not interested. If there is any bubbling or rust-through in the bodywork, I'm not interested. If there are any significant dents in the bodywork, I'm not interested.

-I prefer flared cars with 5-lug Fuchs. I don't care if the flares are steel or fiberglass as long as they're done well. If it's a cool enough straight fender car, I'd consider it, especially if it has 5-lug Fuchs.

-It'd be nice to have the 5-lug conversion done with 911 parts, but re-drilled rotors are ok too.

-I have no preference to engine size or fuel delivery system. However, I'm not interested in single carb setups. Dual carbs only if there's been a cam change.

-Side shift trans is preferable.

-I would consider any color but red. I do not like red cars.

-I'd prefer decent quality paint. I don't want a car that's so nice I'm afraid to drive it anywhere, but I also don't want a car that looks like crap. However, a solid and sorted car that comes in $2K-$3K under my price point that only requires paint to be complete, I'd consider.

-I'd prefer to keep it in the 4-figures in terms of price.

I know I'm looking for something very specific, so I figure I probably won't get many replies, but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case.
carr914
You want to keep it in the 4 Figures? I want a Winning Lotto Ticket too

You state that you are looking for a Specific car, that doesn't have Rust, is Flared has 5 Lug Fuchs, with Decent Paint. I don't think this exists anywhere for for 4 Figures. 5 Lug Fuchs will cost you $1000-$2000 for the Wheels alone without the Suspension Bits. Flares cost $500 a quarter to put on plus the Cost of the Flare & Paint.
Mblizzard
I kept my bit in the. 4 figures. It got me rust, bad carb, metal in the oil , and more. After spending much more than $8k more I have a nice car. Buy all the car you can up front and you will be money ahead.
deputydog95
If you find a 4 figure car that's even close your specs and you don't buy it, I will smile.gif
era vulgaris
Haha, yeah that's just about the response I figured I was going to get! biggrin.gif

I was under the impression that fiberglass flares de-valued these cars.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(deputydog95 @ Aug 26 2014, 06:48 PM) *

If you find a 4 figure car that's even close your specs and you don't buy it, I will smile.gif

If you can stand the color! wink.gif

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1663583

Who knows what lurks underneath this one. But I feel like these rare deals are out there to be found if you search hard enough. Not saying this one's one of them, just sayin.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 26 2014, 05:29 PM) *

You state that you are looking for a Specific car, that doesn't have Rust, is Flared has 5 Lug Fuchs, with Decent Paint. I don't think this exists anywhere for for 4 Figures. 5 Lug Fuchs will cost you $1000-$2000 for the Wheels alone without the Suspension Bits. Flares cost $500 a quarter to put on plus the Cost of the Flare & Paint.

Also, I'm not saying an absolutely rust-free 100 point show car. I'm aware of what these cars cost. I just don't want a car that sags (like mine does), has holes in the floor (like mine does), has holes on the back edges of the doors (like mine does), or has holes in the engine shelves in the hell hole (like mine does). If it's a little rough and tumble around the edges, I'm ok with that. Nicks and scrapes here and there, I'm ok with that. I just don't want bubbles, rot, or anything that is in need of serious metal repair.

Like I said, I don't mind painting a car that isn't all the way done.

Also, I don't care if the Fuchs are real or repro. Cip1 sells 17x7 fake fuchs at about $100/corner. I'd be ok with those.

I also don't care about numbers matching anything, or about any provenance. Just a solid chassis with a reliable drive-train.

For example, if this car wasn't on the west coast, I'd be driving to take a look at it:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=220961
Slap some re-drilled rotors and fake fuchs on it, paint it, and I'd probably come in a couple pennies under 10K. I realize it's not flared, but like I said, if the car is cool enough and solid enough I'd go with a straight fender car.
carr914
Ship It!
era vulgaris
I won't buy a car sight unseen. I've been down that road once and only once, and that's how I ended up with a swiss cheese car that was supposed to have had all it's rust repaired with a $10K paint job. It had neither of those things. And if it hadn't been for that car, I'd absolutely have the budget to buy a 100 point show car with real fuchs. But that ship has sailed.
robrob
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Aug 26 2014, 09:17 PM) *

I won't buy a car sight unseen. I've been down that road once and only once, and that's how I ended up with a swiss cheese car that was supposed to have had all it's rust repaired with a $10K paint job. It had neither of those things. And if it hadn't been for that car, I'd absolutely have the budget to buy a 100 point show car with real fuchs. But that ship has sailed.

Rebuilding 2 solid widebody cars.....1971 with a 3.6 subaru motor. 916 widebody look

And a 1974 w a 2.ol Becks widebody kit

rob @ jroberts@campbellsville.edy or 270 403 5942
robrob
QUOTE(robrob @ Aug 27 2014, 02:53 PM) *

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Aug 26 2014, 09:17 PM) *

Rebuilding 2 solid widebody cars.....1971 with a 3.6 subaru motor. 916 widebody look

And a 1974 w a 2.ol Becks widebody kit

rob @ jroberts@campbellsville.edy or 270 403 5942

email is jroberts@campbellsville.edu ( not y)
era vulgaris
I would only be interested in a normal GT flared car, or a straight fender car. And only looking for a car with a type4. Thanks though.
angerosa
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 26 2014, 05:40 PM) *

I kept my bit in the. 4 figures. It got me rust, bad carb, metal in the oil , and more. After spending much more than $8k more I have a nice car. Buy all the car you can up front and you will be money ahead.

Yes and cost of steel flares with the new rockers you'll need for them is a good deal at about $1000.

angerosa
I like everything you said except I WANT a red one.
bobt4945
that car on thesamba is a great color by the way one of my favorites
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.