Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
earossi
Now that my car is enroute to me, one of the first things that I would like to do is to install a more "user friendly" steering wheel. The car has the original Porsche wheel.

Among the features I like in steering wheels is to have a thicker rim than the stock 914. I also do like the thumb cushions that you see on some wheels (thickened rim at the 9 and 2 o'clock positions).

But, is there a consensus on what the most desirable steering wheel is for the 914? Though looks are important, ease of use and comfort are more important to me in choosing a wheel.

So, comments would be appreciated.

Also, if someone has a desirable wheel that they are willing to part with, please advise me of what you have.
dale73914
My car has the standard wheel too.

Looking at hanging it in the garage soon, and putting a MOMO Prototipo on.

While i can find a new one, i would like one with a bit of patina if possible.

My wife has been given the task... Christmas is coming wink.gif

Cheers

Dale

swooshdave
Be careful you don't get one that is too small. Mine is and you can't see the gauges and your hands hit the stalks. It sucks.
campbellcj
I have had a Nardi/Personal "Fittipaldi" in my car for many years - it was in an early 911 I had before that. Great steering wheel and still available, I think. I prefer it to the Momo Monte Carlo which I've also had. The Prototipo is also very popular (have one too) but is a flatter (less dished) and less contoured rim design, very old school.

One issue with all of these is finding the correct hubs/adapters. Be sure you can get a hub and horn parts before you commit to buying the wheel.

Cheers,
GregAmy
I'm running a Momo Prototipo, using the Momo adapter and LTB Motorsport 1" spacer. I had to remove the horn contact ring from the stock wheel and install it onto the Momo adapter, and run a ground wire from the Momo horn button to the adapter.

All works well, location is good with the 1" spacer, but as noted above it's smaller in diameter than stock and will block the top of gauges (esp if you're tall like me). Biggest one Momo makes is 350mm diameter, though there's some vintage ones out there at 370mm (but are PRICEY! because they were OEM installs in Porsches and Ferraris). Smaller diameter also takes a tad more steering effort.

Otherwise, looks period-correct and nice.
dcecc1968
QUOTE(swooshdave @ Aug 26 2014, 11:38 PM) *

Be careful you don't get one that is too small. Mine is and you can't see the gauges and your hands hit the stalks. It sucks.

I agree. I had a small diameter Formuling and couldn't stand not being able to see the guages.
GeorgeRud
The 350 mm wheels seem to be the most popular, with 320 being rather small. I have a MMomo MonteCarlo in one car, and a Personal Fitti in the other. I think I prefer the Fitti, but it's really a personal choice.

Go to an event and try out different ones to see what you like. BTW, adapters are available to convert from a Momo to a Personal/ Nardil bolt pattern, but you do have to be sure of the proper adapter hub to fit your model year.
ConeDodger
Mine has a stock leather wheel that has been embellished. I sent it to AGLA and had it thick wrapped. It feels great and isn't at all hard to steer...
Cairo94507
I am having my stock leather wrapped wheel recovered and double wrapped to thicken the rim. I want to keep it looking stock.
carr914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 27 2014, 02:57 PM) *

I am having my stock leather wrapped wheel recovered and double wrapped to thicken the rim. I want to keep it looking stock.

A Double Wrap is Nice - I've had Dallas Steering Wheel do them. Excellent Work, just don't let them Paint the Center Section of the Wheel, their Color is Wrong

For a MOMO, you want a 350MM. I've got a 320mm Prototipo and it's tough to see the guages
campbellcj
FWIW the Personal Fitti is listed as 14" which is approx 356mm; it does not block the gauges much
lonewolfe
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 27 2014, 11:46 AM) *

Mine has a stock leather wheel that has been embellished. I sent it to AGLA and had it thick wrapped. It feels great and isn't at all hard to steer...

Hey ConeDodger,

can you post up a picture of your AGLA refinished steering wheel? What did they charge to refinish your steering wheel? I bet I'm not the only one that would like to see what it looks like! biggrin.gif
JmuRiz
I have a small Dino 4-spoke wheel, but I'd love to get a stock wheel, leather wrapped with a dog-dish horn button.
john_f
I also have a MOMO Prototipo wheel. Yes - it does block the top of the left & right dials (in my case the handbrake indicator light on the left & the MPH dial on the right) but the important dial - RPM - is fully visible. The smaller wheel also makes for easier access into the car (or it does in my case). wink.gif
dlkawashima
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 27 2014, 12:29 PM) *

For a MOMO, you want a 350MM. I've got a 320mm Prototipo and it's tough to see the guages

Personally, I prefer an even larger wheel than a 350mm. I have a 370mm Prototipo (image below).
The original, factory supplied steering wheel is even larger (380mm I believe), so the 370mm Prototipo gives a fairly close to stock feel, just with a thicker grip.
IPB Image
green914
I too have a Momo smile.gif I like it.
DRPHIL914
My e-bay special 4 years ago. $50.
Smaller than standard. I like it better because of being 6"1, easier to get in and out.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Aug 27 2014, 11:49 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 27 2014, 11:46 AM) *

Hey ConeDodger,

can you post up a picture of your AGLA refinished steering wheel? What did they charge to refinish your steering wheel? I bet I'm not the only one that would like to see what it looks like! biggrin.gif

I'm working in Sacramento for the next 5 days but I'll try to get to that when I get home... I also have a MOMO as an option for when I'm feeling sassy!
messix
I like mine, kinda classic looking.
it's a personal that was a little rough and did a some refinish on to look good.

the only picture that shows it.
carr914
I Double Dog Dare You!

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
I had this wheel. It's drilled for a momo hub with quick release.

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
This is a nice looking steering wheel!
EdwardBlume
Is this wheel comfortable with wide rims and tires? Or would you recommend a bigger steering wheel?
type47fan
Stock leather wheel with 912 hockey puck horn button . . . Click to view attachment

. . . or Racemark RAID

Click to view attachment
SKL1
Click to view attachment

Just kidding... wheel on my son's formula FE racecar...

Click to view attachment

Momo wheel on my '73 restoration- nice size no real gauge issues

Click to view attachment

Momo "Jackie Stewart" I've had since the early '70's. Guess it's a collector's item now. Needed to rotate gauges to see what I needed. Redline straight up. Thick rim feels great!!
'73-914kid
I have an early prototipo.. one of the first years for the dished wheels, and it is by far my favorite feeling wheel..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.