Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 73 Engine bar distance between bolt holes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doug_b_928
I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could please post the distance between the bolt holes center to center on a 73 engine bar (not sure if it's the same for all years). I need the data to compare to the homemade one that was installed by the DAPO. This will help me to determine if the bar I have was created due to a fitment issue (body twist) or for some other reason that is beyond my imagination.

jacksun
hi,

here are three images..

I will leave the math............hopefully this works for you.

the "middle" image is with the tape on the outside edge of the bar as in the
first image. "middle image" upside down too.

tape measure in one hand and camera in other.

73 1.7L engine bar

randal

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
doug_b_928
Thanks very much!!! Looks like about 41 5/8 from center to center. BTW, very clean looking engine...niiiccccee May I also ask, to unbolt the bar is there just a couple of washers and a nut on the top end of the big bolt? That's the way it was on my car. I had assumed it would be some system that wouldn't require counterholding given the position. Off to measure the homemade one....

QUOTE(jacksun @ Aug 27 2014, 06:04 AM) *

hi,

here are three images..

I will leave the math............hopefully this works for you.

the "middle" image is with the tape on the outside edge of the bar as in the
first image. "middle image" upside down too.

tape measure in one hand and camera in other.

73 1.7L engine bar

randal

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

cn2800
I've got my '73 up on stands for drivetrain removal. I'll get you some additional info this afternoon if you need it.
Dave_Darling
The top of the bolt just has a nut and washers. You do have to counterhold it.

--DD
doug_b_928
Rough measurement suggests that mine is 41 7/8, so 1/4" wider. If this is a true difference, is there any adjustment in the plates that hold the bolts, or would this be the reason for the homemade engine bar?

Thanks for additional info on the bolts and washer. Cn2800, if you could check the size of the bolt (length, diameter and threads), that would be great!
jacksun
m10 X 1 X 85

I had to buy one........... local ace didn't have 85, had 80 or 90.

don't know if 90 too long.... engine going back in soon, will know then.

randal

doug_b_928
Thanks, Randall.
green914
You might be able to find a used eng. bar for a 73 with a search in the classified forum. popcorn[1].gif
doug_b_928
I'm hoping to find one closer to home because shipping could be expensive. I'm a long way from needing it so lots of time to acquire one.
maf914
Make sure you get the correct style engine bar for your car, either late side shifter or early tail shifter, as they are not the same.
doug_b_928
Interesting, I was vaguely aware that engine bars were not all the same, but didn't realize that the difference was due to the change from tailshift to sideshift.
maf914
QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Aug 28 2014, 07:10 AM) *

Interesting, I was vaguely aware that engine bars were not all the same, but didn't realize that the difference was due to the change from tailshift to sideshift.

Doug, This page may help. The engine bar on top is for side shift cars, with a hole through the bar for the shift linkage to pass, and the one on the bottom is for tail shift cars. Note the different engine mount arrangements for the different engine bars.
doug_b_928
Very helpful, thank you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.