Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drive or Haul to Autocross or Track Events
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Alphaogre
I looking to maybe do some autocross or track events with PCA, not competitively but more for fun. How many of you guys Haul your car to events as opposed to drive the car to the events. I have reservations about driving there incase a mechanical issue should arise, you are then stranded. Not a big deal locally, but from Button willow to San Diego, would be expensive.

I don’t have a trailer, and don’t have a place currently to store a trailer. Uhaul can be a pain in the ass for availability and duration, so I’m just see what some other guys do to solve this dilemma.

Also, did they really do this back in the day? Anyone doing this option? haha

IPB Image
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Aug 29 2014, 02:27 PM) *

I looking to maybe do some autocross or track events with PCA, not competitively but more for fun. How many of you guys Haul your car to events as opposed to drive the car to the events. I have reservations about driving there incase a mechanical issue should arise, you are then stranded. Not a big deal locally, but from Button willow to San Diego, would be expensive.

I don’t have a trailer, and don’t have a place currently to store a trailer. Uhaul can be a pain in the ass for availability and duration, so I’m just see what some other guys do to solve this dilemma.

IPB Image

I've done both....driving is ok but adds stress. Flat tow is the choice if space is limited...got 21 mpg at 65mph flat towing with my Volvo 850 turbo. Currently trailering with huge Suburban turbodiesel &only getting 15mpg....
URY914
I flat towed mine when I started a/x'ing. I already had a truck so after awhile I bought a trailer.

Trailers have their own problems and are not maintenance free.
Alphaogre
Thanks for the impute! Did you guys custom fabricate the linkage to flat tow or is there a particular kit or product?

Flat towing would work great for me, I would be towing with a Quad cab tundra.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Aug 30 2014, 08:52 PM) *

Thanks for the impute! Did you guys custom fabricate the linkage to flat tow or is there a particular kit or product?

Flat towing would work great for me, I would be towing with a Quad cab tundra.

Got the bracket from Rennenmetal and a Super Beetle tow bar from local BAP/GEON for about $100...Great combo....you'll also need a set of taillights....I mounted mine up inside the Targa wings & used a bit of tape to insure they stayed in place.
campbellcj
I love the peace of mind of trailering but it is a pretty big jump in commitment level. I'm actually at the point now where I'm thinking about a larger enclosed trailer (currently have an open dual-axle) which would probably also require a bigger truck. When I first started though, I drove to and from the autox or track venues.
naro914
It's all downhill from here smile.gif
we started driving. Then twice we broke things at an autocross so we bought a Chevy Blazer and rented U-Haul each time. PITA..so we bought an open trailer. did that for years for AX and DE... Then started modifying the car and needing more 'stuff' at the track, so we got a 20' enclosed...then had to buy a Tahoe....then came the 40' gooseneck enclosed 2 car trailer with dually diesel pick up pulling it to do Targa Newfoundland...eventually sold that. Now back to 24' enclosed with F250 diesel. This is all we really need (oh, and we still ahve the open trailer for simple AX and car movement trips)

Yep...it's a slippery slope... enjoy the ride!
00r101
Trailering is the way to go for the reasons you listed but also
1) huge tool storage
2) hold extra tires/wheels/ jack
3) It is incredibly easy if it rains

If you have no storage space for a trailer, can you fit a tow dolly? However then you car has to be licensed and insured. same with flat tow.
john77
This won't really help for Buttonwillow, but if you're going anywhere within 100 miles AAA Plus membership gives you a free tow up to 100 miles. I drive my 914 down to Irvine from LA to AX, so it gives me a little peace of mind. I think the next level up, AAA Premier, gives you a free 200 mile tow.
Alphaogre
Thanks for all the impute! I definitely know how fast this can slide out of hand haha. Prior to the 914 I had a race/pre-runner desert truck. I started with driving the truck out to the desert but never enjoyed myself since I was worried about breaking things or actually breaking things and trying to get home.

Once it became the dirt only toy, it only got trailered and was much more enjoyable once I was out there, but I never used the truck that often since I had to haul the thing all the way out to the desert to use it. Luckily at the time a buddy of mine had a trailer that I could use and he stored it on his property. Though now that option is gone.

With me having the Tundra anyway, I have all the room for tools and parts no problem. I have AAA 100 mile tow, but that would not work for some of the tracks since they are too far.

I have used a car dolly before towing the 914 to paint and stuff during the restoration, but that thing seems sketchier then just flat towing the thing. Also, the car dolly

Flat towing would be the best option for me, especially since (for right now) i'm not looking to do any of the events competitively, and I don't know how many I will actually be able to go to. I would like to still drive the car on the road so it will have to be street legal, and it is just a 1.7 with webber's. I know its a mighty and feared engine, but I don't think it will be over aggressively breaking things.

Really, I would like to use these events to benchmark things on the car (adding sway bars, suspension tuning, things like that) Then as I start to add and maybe build the car down the road, I can make sure they are productive moves forward.

I know flat towing would be extra wear and tear on the tires and bearings, but is it any harder on the drive line or anything else? I would think it would be less wear and tear then actually driving it...
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Sep 2 2014, 04:12 PM) *

I know flat towing would be extra wear and tear on the tires and bearings, but is it any harder on the drive line or anything else? I would think it would be less wear and tear then actually driving it...

These cars are so light there really isn't any appreciable wear involved in flat towing & it certainly won't hurt anything in the driveline other than spinning the odometer up. I keep track of the towing miles to deduct from oil change mileage anyway. I've also used the dolly and hated it compared to flat towing....
Cody914
I have flat towed mine to events for many years with no issues.

As Wndsrfr said, get the Rennenmetal bar if you go this route - it is a perfect fit and very easy to install. http://rennenmetal.com/proddetail.asp?prod=1400

A word of advice on the Super Beetle set up. When you purchase the EMPI tow bar #3131-7, make sure it is EMPI and not the Chinese knock off. There is a bout a 1/2" difference in width and the knock offs won't fit the Rennenmetal setup. Also, if you use the flexdam valence w/o rubber from 914rubber.com everything will clear just fine and you wont have to take it off to tow.
carr914
I've had a couple of Trailers and can say they are their own Pain in the Ass!

You have to have a place to store them. They are a Bitch to move without the Tow Vehicle

I'm going to sell my Trailer as I just don't use it enough

Click to view attachment
campbellcj
^^^ Definitely - my trailer costs me $100/mo just to store off-site as I do not have room at home. Then there is the cost of tires and paint every few years.
patssle
As the saying goes....track it on Sunday and then drive to work on Monday. My Porsche doesn't need a trailer!
naro914
depending on why you are towing (to bring tires tools or in case of a mechanical issue), there's the option on this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=240001
ww914
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Aug 29 2014, 03:27 PM) *

IPB Image

I know this response is a little late, but I flat tow my 914 with the exact same setup as in the picture. I throw the slicks in the back of the Jeep and off we go. Since I travel about 2 1/2 hours to the track, I do have the piece of mind that I can get home. With that said, I have driven the car with one tire in the front and 3 in the back. A little tight and if something breaks, it can get expensive getting home.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.