Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: two years in the making
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
returf
Heres a youtube link to a short video of the first test session of my project at our local track test day. Crank up the volume and remember it not about the lines but all about a mechanical shakedown to see whats needed next

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wjda2snJJo
wndsrfr
QUOTE(returf @ Aug 29 2014, 04:37 PM) *

Heres a youtube link to a short video of the first test session of my project at our local track test day. Crank up the volume and remember it not about the lines but all about a mechanical shakedown to see whats needed next

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wjda2snJJo

Holy moley.....unreal....pls post more!
Jetsetsurfshop
Is that a turbo making that noise or just the intake? WOW.
returf
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Sep 2 2014, 10:37 AM) *

Is that a turbo making that noise or just the intake? WOW.

That sure is the Turbo ( building boost, followed by the relief valve opening when the throttle closes ) I'm only running 8lbs boost
Jetsetsurfshop
Engine pic?
returf
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Sep 2 2014, 11:24 AM) *

Engine pic?

Click to view attachment
wndsnd
You put the gear shift on the left?

Holy Moly, what a build!

John
speed metal army
smile.gif Oh crap.. I have a winter project. My car is fun, but a turbo'd version of my car must happen. beerchug.gif
campbellcj
Just wild!!! Congrats and stay safe with that monster!
returf
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Sep 4 2014, 01:31 PM) *

You put the gear shift on the left?

John

yes wndsnd, the gear shift is indeed on the left. Reason being 40 + years of driving cars, trucks and most other things with the shifter on the left side and I felt it more natural to stir from that side. I must admit I've owned two american vehicles that were left hookers but they were autos so no shifting required! stirthepot.gif
ChrisFoley
That track seemed to get shorter with each lap. biggrin.gif
How long did it take for you to stop shaking after you got out of the car?
returf
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Sep 5 2014, 06:44 AM) *

That track seemed to get shorter with each lap. biggrin.gif
How long did it take for you to stop shaking after you got out of the car?

Chris, I actually surprised myself with self control, I don't know weather it was that it was a test session and I was expected to give some kind of feedback to those helpers on the pit wall, but the usual shaking knee didn't appear even after the feedback from the brake pedal. I think things will be very different come race day though. As you can see I was backing out at the two thirds down the straights points not knowing what was going to happen when I hit that pedal ( it turned out to be the front caster arm / control arm not tight enough ) it'll be a while till I get out there again as I don't want to run it with that turbo and do damage to the engine.
bulitt
What trans are you running?
BIGKAT_83
He's been posting on Pelican. I think its a Subaru transaxle

Bob
returf
QUOTE(bulitt @ Sep 6 2014, 10:15 AM) *

Yes it's the six speed subaru. During that test session the link data tells me that going down the front and back straight i was only hitting around 4500 rpm even though I have the rev limiter set at 6200. When I get to crank things up, the gearing should be quite suitable for even the fastest straights on our circuits ( around 250 kph ) Yes I have been keeping a build thread Bob, but it's been on 914club not pelican. feel free to ask any questions either here or PM me
Mike
Randal
QUOTE(returf @ Sep 5 2014, 09:19 PM) *

QUOTE(bulitt @ Sep 6 2014, 10:15 AM) *

Yes it's the six speed subaru. During that test session the link data tells me that going down the front and back straight i was only hitting around 4500 rpm even though I have the rev limiter set at 6200. When I get to crank things up, the gearing should be quite suitable for even the fastest straights on our circuits ( around 250 kph ) Yes I have been keeping a build thread Bob, but it's been on 914club not pelican. feel free to ask any questions either here or PM me
Mike

So Cool! Congratulations on your first test run. Must feel great to actually get on the track.

Keep those videos coming. beerchug.gif
Mr.242
The Turbo Whistle drooley.gif
Makes me think of my Powerstroke Diesel beerchug.gif evilgrin.gif
EdwardBlume
Nice video. Thanks for the ride.

With that much weight in the back, what are doing to balance the car towards the front?
Randal
QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 16 2014, 07:27 AM) *

With that much weight in the back, what are doing to balance the car towards the front?

The radiator and lines are all up front. That helps.
returf
QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 17 2014, 11:08 AM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 16 2014, 07:27 AM) *

The radiator and lines are all up front. That helps.

yes you're right there Randal, Plus the weight of the cage, the three fuel pumps. In fact it really isint that far off the balance of a regular 914 I think. If I put a jack at the jacking point on both sides and lift them simultaneously, the car can rock on them with no effort, maybe 3 kg heavier at the rear ie. if i put a 3kg weight on the front splitter it will bias toward the front (just). How does the balance go with regular 914's then? as a matter of interest confused24.gif
Andyrew
Very impressive! A 400hp LS with what looks like a decent turbo running 8psi should be well north of 600hp. Looks like you were short shifting as you mentioned!

Can you post a link to your build thread on pelican?
returf
Andyrew heres the link but it's actually in club not pelican.

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=332491

The turbo ls1 is in fact hub dynoed at 500hp at the rear wheels but on that test session ( i have included another link with some of the graphics on it ) you will notice the Inlet air temp going out of control . This would have greatly reduced available power from being so hot. The only real fix is a properly matched turbo ( you live and learn )
As to the short shifting, you are right there. It was only some exploritory laps, so no need to start finding limits just yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVTPzbl5xF4

As you can see the max speed was only 192 kph but I was lifting off at two thirds down the back straight because of a rather concerning shake of the steering wheel when I applied the brakes!! Its all going to be a learning curve at the moment. I'm going to upgrade the turbo as soon as finance allows and then have another go.

Cheers
Mike
Andyrew
Mike,

Why dont you just grab a bigger exhaust housing for the turbo? Cheap and quick and for ~$400 you probably will have a more matched system.. Just bolt on and bolt off, you wont have to re-balance it and everything SHOULD be physically similar or similar enough.

What exact turbo are you using? I can certainly help you in that department. I have a wealth of turbo experts I know well.

returf
Hey Thanks Andrew, Today was my birthday and I told my wife and kids to contribute what they could for a new turbo. So with that I have made a purchase tonight of a Borg Warner S475 (S400SX3) T6 Twin Scroll Turbo. I know this has a map that will put me in the efficiency zone to deliver the required boost without generating large amounts of heat. The old turbo was a bit of an unknowen really Aliexpress described it as a gt45r but it's more like the size of a 3540. I thought about getting a new turbine housing but really have no idea what i'm dealing with. I would be interested in your thoughts on the size of the S475 ( I haven't sent the money yet)

Cheers
Mike
Randal
QUOTE(returf @ Sep 29 2014, 02:07 AM) *

Hey Thanks Andrew, Today was my birthday and I told my wife and kids to contribute what they could for a new turbo. So with that I have made a purchase tonight of a Borg Warner S475 (S400SX3) T6 Twin Scroll Turbo. I know this has a map that will put me in the efficiency zone to deliver the required boost without generating large amounts of heat. The old turbo was a bit of an unknowen really Aliexpress described it as a gt45r but it's more like the size of a 3540. I thought about getting a new turbine housing but really have no idea what i'm dealing with. I would be interested in your thoughts on the size of the S475 ( I haven't sent the money yet)

Cheers
Mike

You're going to rip the tires right off that puppy. Oh boy!
returf
well the new turbo arrived !!! gulp

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

now I have to try and fit this monster in!!!!!

welder.gif
Randal
QUOTE(returf @ Oct 1 2014, 07:48 PM) *

well the new turbo arrived !!! gulp

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

now I have to try and fit this monster in!!!!!

welder.gif

Are you kidding me?
mgp4591
Uh, yeah... that'll breathe a bit better for your size engine... shades.gif
returf
Actually the turbo was advertised as a s400 SX3 but it turns out it has the ID numbers of a SX4 ie 171720 so slightly better map for my application. anyway it's taken a bit more than I envisioned to get this mounted and everything fitting in the space but perseverance pays off

Click to view attachment

I've only got the tailpipe to squeeze in now, and as you can see, there's not going to be backpressure in this 5" beauty

Click to view attachment

and if you're wondering this behemouth weighs 23kg to try and muscle through the gap between the rollbar brace and the engine. I saw more blood ooze from the top of my right hand than I thought possible through the last week. Most unattractive she says!!!!
Randal
QUOTE(returf @ Oct 11 2014, 08:58 PM) *

Actually the turbo was advertised as a s400 SX3 but it turns out it has the ID numbers of a SX4 ie 171720 so slightly better map for my application. anyway it's taken a bit more than I envisioned to get this mounted and everything fitting in the space but perseverance pays off

Click to view attachment

I've only got the tailpipe to squeeze in now, and as you can see, there's not going to be backpressure in this 5" beauty

Click to view attachment

and if you're wondering this behemouth weighs 23kg to try and muscle through the gap between the rollbar brace and the engine. I saw more blood ooze from the top of my right hand than I thought possible through the last week. Most unattractive she says!!!!

Well we know what the competition will be looking at!
returf
finally got down to the dyno today for a touch-up tune with the new turbo. After the first tune with the smaller turbo, and wanting this tune to be within the same ballpark output wise, we started off slowly and exceeded our last turbos output using only 7lb boost. It made 520hp (387kw) at the wheels @ 5309rpm. Tuner Chris was keen to go to 8lb's but I decided that being a std ls1 engine and given the fact that I need to get some seat time, it would be better to stop there. The best part is the inlet air temp is much lower now due to the more efficient turbo. I'll post a short vid link in the coming days . biggrin.gif
wndsrfr
QUOTE(returf @ Nov 5 2014, 12:10 AM) *

finally got down to the dyno today for a touch-up tune with the new turbo. After the first tune with the smaller turbo, and wanting this tune to be within the same ballpark output wise, we started off slowly and exceeded our last turbos output using only 7lb boost. It made 520hp (387kw) at the wheels @ 5309rpm. Tuner Chris was keen to go to 8lb's but I decided that being a std ls1 engine and given the fact that I need to get some seat time, it would be better to stop there. The best part is the inlet air temp is much lower now due to the more efficient turbo. I'll post a short vid link in the coming days . biggrin.gif

Speechless..... drooley.gif
returf
So here's the link to the short video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiA0dMTjiLA

Gotta feel for the poor tuner though
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.